Menu

If your DC does/did Ballet

Didn't read all the replies, so this may have already been mentioned- but a good pair of dance tights (and they should be ballet pink for ballet, not nude) will run you $8-10 (bloch, capeizio, etc) but will end up being CHEAPER than cheap hose b/c they won't run when the girls get on the floor to stretch, etc.

My girls dance 4 days a week now so we have tights/shoes/leos galore - but my oldest's first year, she had 2 pair of tights, 1 leo and tap/ballet shoes until the recital!

If you are only dancing 1 night/week, 2 pair of good tights should get you through the whole year if you ONLY wear them for dance (take them off when you get home) and wash on cold, hang to dry.

I don't know what the ballet shoes you saw look like, but most schools (not rec programs, but real schools), require a real leather or canvas ballet shoe with leather sole, not the satiny "slipper". (This was true at all 3 schools we've been to from age 2.5 up)

Also - as we've accumulated various leos, as they've grown, I've found they tend to have a favorite for each type of dance (ballet, tap, jazz, acro, etc) and want *THAT* leo for that class each week - so I'd just get a good quality one that they find comfy and it should last all season. The "cute" ones we've gotten at target/kohls/etc were really no cheaper than a quality plain leo from a dance supply store - AND past the first wear or 2 of their "fun new" leo, they always go back to the quality plain ones b/c they stay soft and supple after washing - keep their color well and don't pill, stretch out or ride up!

Wow, thankfully my daughters only do simple ballet classes. We always get our leotards from WalMart (about $7 or $8), along with a skirt (also $7 or $8). Then they also have tights ($5). Not the greatest but they do what we need them to.

The other day I got DD the slipper kind of ballet shoes ($8) from WalMart, but in the past we've gotten the regular kind at Payless for like $15 or $20.

Dance is a lifetime sport - one you can continue to do for many, many years. I've danced with several women in their seventies. It's a great form of exercise and the health benefits alone are well worth the price. Add in the mental challenge of remembering the steps, the friendships made, and all the other typical advantages of extracurriculars.

Plus it's FUN!!!

I cant even remember the positions 1-5 and they were just taught those on Saturday!

My 6.5yo DD is in her third year of tap/ballet combo classes. She is also taking a tumbling for dance class this year. I buy her leotards from walmart. I have a sleeveless, capsleeve, and long sleeve one in pink and another cap sleeve in black. I buy her dance tights from revolution dancewear through her studio. I did the cheap tights last year and ended up buying three pairs in one month. I went back to the real thing and they last all year! I got her ballet shoes and her tap shoes this year used on ebay.

It all depends on the school. My daughter's school requires a specific brand and model number and color for the leotards. Skirts are not allowed. They do not allow slippers from the discount stores and Payless. In fact, the Bloch and Capezio slippers are cheaper than the Payless slippers. All tights must be ballet tights.

But I find you can buy used leotards from other parents. You only need to ask.

I pass on the slippers to the younger dancers. You can wash the slippers and line dry them and they are fine to pass on.

I just want to say a WONDERFUL and HUGE thank you to LMA for the Ballet Items she sent my DD. :grouphug::001_wub::thumbup:

Those prices sound great! DD has danced (ballet, tap, and jazz) for about 4 years now. We pay around $20 - $30 for shoes (depending on which class they're for) and $9 - $12 for tights. Leos are from the studio since they have a "dress code" and they are $15 - $20 each. It just gets more expensive as they get older and more advanced... $80 - $120 for pointe shoes is not something I'm looking forward to...