Menu

Another 2 year old question

genny

DD will be 2 in a couple of months. She has 2 older siblings (6 & 4). I'm hs'ing my oldest for now with my second oldest only being taught phonics instruction.

I'm thinking my 2 year old is bright but normal. DH keeps mentioning she's advanced for her age. He looked on the internet at what the 'norm' was for her age and it got me wondering. At first I was thinking that maybe the info on the internet was incorrect but we have several friends with little one's her age and they don't behave like her.

Was hoping to get your opinons on if this is normal and my friends kids are just slower than average? She knows all her letter sounds (I assume from watching Leapfrog with her siblings), she can count to 10 easily. She uses full sentences and can sing songs. She was walking at 9 months steadily and runs around like a maniac now:tongue_smilie: She was using many words before 1. I haven't counted how many words she knows but it's a lot (DH says at least 1000) and multisyllable (excavator and other long words).

So, here's the question. Do I do some hs'ing with her or just let her be? I know this sounds bad, but thus far I've sent her to go play somewhere else while I teach my other little one's. Now I'm thinking I should let her hand around.

She is VERY young but at the same time if she's receptive to learning I feel like maybe I should teach her a bit:confused:

So what do you think?

My 3yo was like that at 2. It has a lot to do with having older siblings that they interact with :001_smile:

I do a Letter of the week type program with him - we do activities as he wants to so not evey day.

He joins in with his older brother and sister when he is in the mood. He likes to make his own lapbooks when we do. We are doing a unit on Community Services right now and since he is infatuated with all types of emergency vehicles he has been participating a lot :lol:

Read lots and lots of books about things she is interested in.

At 2 I probably wouldn't start lessons in anything but let her hang around for as long as she wants.

My 3yo likes Starfall.com and abcmouse.com as well.

I tell my husband I think it's because she has older siblings but he doesn't agree :lol: In the end I guess it doesn't matter if her being advanced is normal or not.

She LOVES going on starfall.com. I let her play on it while I'm cooking or busy with my newborn. It's funny because she use to come and try to get my to do the word puzzles for her (spell sun etc...). I would tell her no I'm busy with baby and tell her to just press the x button to exit. This would really bug her but I think because of her determination she can do all the puzzles on there.

I checked out abc.com before for my other kids but they found it too simple and boring.

Any other sites for little one's like starfall?

I think I'll let her sit in with us and see if she has interest. Definitely wasn't thinking of doing workbooks with her but was thinking of trying some simple blending with her since she knows all her sounds (i.e. c a t ...cat) Do you think I should or just hold off.

Both of her older siblings are early readers. My oldest is just turning 6 and can read at a 3rd grade level. My second I'm half way through AAR1 but it's all review to him (I don't know where he picked up reading ... maybe from oldest reading to him or listening to her lessons when he was young). Maybe just try and see if she likes it???

Edited by genny

My 3yo was like that at 2. It has a lot to do with having older siblings that they interact with :001_smile:

At 2 I probably wouldn't start lessons in anything but let her hang around for as long as she wants.

:iagree: Completely normal, but wonderful.

Thanks for the blog link ... I think she'll like the idea of homemade books!

I think I'll set aside some time just for her and see if she's interested in learning more (play around with letter cards, math cubes).

She holds her pencil with the proper grip and loves to draw. Maybe we can goof around and scribble together (circles etc...)

My oldest was like that. I always assumed she was gifted, but I didn't start any sort of formal schooling until age 4. Before that, I just tried to provide a very rich environment. We read lots of books. We talked all the time. We listened to classical music and educational songs like those in schoolhouse rock. I asked her thought-provoking questions. And I tried to provide her materials that would support her interests.

I would not give her "paper" work unless she specifically asks for it. It could affect the way her eyes develop, and not in a good way. (Not always, but for some kids.)

I'd make sure she has fun and challenging things to play with; toys that she can make a story out of. Good quality learning videos / thought provoking movies (if you do screen time), and a broad variety of good music. Lots of nature study and other hands-on learning. Wooden word puzzles and large-size writing with chalk or on a whiteboard. Lots of interaction with good storybooks.

I think it's fine for her to listen in on the older siblings' lessons if that's what she wants to do, but if she's just vying for your attention vs. really being interested in the content, I'd continue sending her off to do something she's more ready for at those times.

My daughter was blending a few months after she turned 2, so if you wanted to try and see if she gets it/likes it, no harm done. She was also REALLY into tracing. My DD3 LOVES workbook type stuff (as I did as a kid), so is head over heels for the Kumon workbooks. I have to hide them so she doesn't race through them when I'm not paying attention ($$$!).

Suggestions from the other folks are great. Also, 2yos LOVE crafts and they can pick up so many skills doing them, so that's a wonderfully absorbing activity she can do (with & without help depending on the craft). Cutting strips, painting (lots of kinds of paint!), crayons, glue, etc. Having some cool scraps/stickers/ribbons in a basket, a blank piece of paper and some glue to make a collage can be super fun and creative at that age and she can work on it independently while you're helping your other kids.

I personally think let them absorb while they're in high absorbing gear, so offer activities to her to see if she's interested. If she's not, you wasted relatively little time and will have an idea what to try again in a few months. From your point of view, however, I wouldn't get hung up on any expectations for her. Just keep it fun and see where she leads you.

And teach her to count to 20 ;) I love this song by the Nields, track #9 ABC Song http://www.roostbooks.com/alltogethersinging . ABCs, 1-20, and opposites all in 1 catchy tune. Fun!

Becky

Thanks for the link and for all the suggestions everyone. I was apprehensive posting here but you guys are great:D

I was for some silly reason getting stressed thinking I wasn't giving her enough teaching moments. She's high energy but if I ask her to be quiet while I teach the other kids she'll listen to me. I think I'll get a little basket with things for her to do while teaching the kids and let her sit and listen in (I won't have to check in on her too...BONUS:lol::tongue_smilie:... she's amazing at finding crayons and destroying my walls while I'm with the kids:glare:).

She does love gluing and I've been taking it away from her because she loves to experiment with it on the table, chairs, fingers. I should just chill and cover her play area with a dollar store vinyl cloth. I have kid scissors, do you think it's safe for her age. They're blunt but still....

I have kid scissors, do you think it's safe for her age. They're blunt but still....

I think it depends entirely on the kid. My dd loved using scissors to cut yarn at that age. But she was not the experimenting type. I have heard lots of stories of curtains and bedsheets getting cut up, so YMMV.

I think it depends entirely on the kid. My dd loved using scissors to cut yarn at that age. But she was not the experimenting type. I have heard lots of stories of curtains and bedsheets getting cut up, so YMMV.

My oldest, who wasn't formally allowed to use scissors until just before starting K is the one that found scissors and randomly cut things. My other two were taught at an earlier age, and the youngest was using them before age 3. Neither of them has been a problem with scissors. They know where the scrap paper is kept, and they know how to make confetti. :D