Menu

What to do after Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading?

Leo Smolka

We went through it once and my kids were reading by first grade. I had them read pretty much everything from that point. They had to start reading their directions on the their math papers, I had them read daily from SOTW, and I just incorporated as much reading as possible into our day. I would keep it light, but keep them challenged just a bit. I also let them select books from the library for fun reading, and we read a book daily.

After TOPGTR - we did not have a curriculum of any kind.

I would just go with reading plenty of books - both out loud to you and silently so that you can correct any errors you may hear and also so that you can build up their reading stamina by gradually expecting them to read more. What level are your children reading at and also how much can they read in one sitting (how much per page, what size font and what is their reading comprehension level - all these are important when deciding which books to choose but books they read aloud to you should be at the level where some instruction is necessary - where they read 95% accurately is the usual best measure) - how do you know which this is? Trial and error usually.

I would just go with reading plenty of books - both out loud to you and silently so that you can correct any errors you may hear and also so that you can build up their reading stamina by gradually expecting them to read more. What level are your children reading at and also how much can they read in one sitting (how much per page, what size font and what is their reading comprehension level - all these are important when deciding which books to choose but books they read aloud to you should be at the level where some instruction is necessary - where they read 95% accurately is the usual best measure) - how do you know which this is? Trial and error usually.

Actually this answered my question. Thank you! :)

They are supposed to be reading at a grade 4 level by the time they finish the book, but I think it is more complicated than that because it is a phonics programme where the font size does not change by the end of the book and nor does the length of what they are reading change - so while they may be capable of reading grade 4 texts phonetically there is more to reading than just decoding (comprehension, attention levels, emotional maturity etc).

If your kid are capable of reading through OPGTR 3 times then just let them read---whatever.

Bob Books-- Dr Seuss--Little Bear--Frog and Toad--Henry and Mudge etc

If they can read those then just let them read small chapter books. Magic Tree House.

If you're looking for something they can read aloud to you every day then maybe those Step Into Reading series as well as I Can Read books.

Or McGuffy's Readers.

Or read aloud WWE passages.

They are supposed to be reading at a grade 4 level by the time they finish the book, but I think it is more complicated than that because it is a phonics programme where the font size does not change by the end of the book and nor does the length of what they are reading change - so while they may be capable of reading grade 4 texts phonetically there is more to reading than just decoding (comprehension, attention levels, emotional maturity etc).

Ugh, no kidding! The books that dd is interested in, and have the right amount of words/illustrations per page, are fairly easy for her, but when I try to find more challenging books, there is a big jump to books that have tons of print that instantly turn her off. :glare:

Personally, I would just start having your child read aloud to you often at a point that is slightly above their comfortable reading level. I would also look for programs (or create myself) that work on other skills like comprehension & spelling as you have the basics of reading down already.

Ugh, no kidding! The books that dd is interested in, and have the right amount of words/illustrations per page, are fairly easy for her, but when I try to find more challenging books, there is a big jump to books that have tons of print that instantly turn her off. :glare:

I turned to regular children's picture books at this stage - the vocabulary and phonics in these books is usually around a 4th grade level since they are meant to be read aloud by an adult and the stories are long enough for young children and of course the illustrations are always meant to be great and there is usually only a small amount of print on each page. However some of the books have very challenging words so I usually get DD to read them aloud so I can help where needed.

Even if you don't use Heart of Dakota, I highly recommend reading through their Emerging Readers to transition from easy readers to chapter books.

You basically read one chapter or section of each book a day. The books slowly increase in length and difficulty. I went through these with my dd because she also got intimidated by the amount of words on a page even if I knew she could read it. This series got us over the hump.

If you are not religious, just skip the Easy Reader Bible and the Christian Liberty Nature Reader. The other books are all basic children's books easily found in most libraries.

HTH.