Menu

Need refried bean recipe

Ok, this is a weird request. I can make refried beans, but have been buying them because opening a can is so darn easy. Well, now my younger boy, the VERY picky eater, likes refried beans (yay) but only the ones in the can (boo).

Here is what I need: a very thick, bland refried bean recipe. I tried to make them plain, with no seasoning, but ds didn't like it. When I taste refried beans from a can, I only taste salt. I am sure there is a little more in there than salt, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I need them very low fat. I know they are fried but I just can't do what I see done in some recipes.

So, anyone got a good refried bean recipe they are willing to convert to lame?

Ok, this is a weird request. I can make refried beans, but have been buying them because opening a can is so darn easy. Well, now my younger boy, the VERY picky eater, likes refried beans (yay) but only the ones in the can (boo).

Here is what I need: a very thick, bland refried bean recipe. I tried to make them plain, with no seasoning, but ds didn't like it. When I taste refried beans from a can, I only taste salt. I am sure there is a little more in there than salt, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I need them very low fat. I know they are fried but I just can't do what I see done in some recipes.

So, anyone got a good refried bean recipe they are willing to convert to lame?

The crockpot365 has a recipe I like. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-refried-beans-recipe.html

Try putting only 1/2-1/3 of the seasoning in it and taking the lid off at the end to achieve your desired thickness. Pureeing it in a blender will make it smoother. Regular canned refried beans contain lard. It IS yummy and your son may be missing that.

I make the above recipe, but season it a bit more than directed. I then freeze it into meal-sized servings. (We can't eat a pound of pintos in one meal.) my own son prefers the can too, but he still eats these after his protest.

I know he's not missing the lard because we are vegetarian and I always buy either vegetarian or fat free refried beans.

Thanks for all the thumbs up on the recipe. I appreciate it. It's just getting sort of stupid to pay 1.49 for a can of refried beans. I can get almost three cans from 1.49 bag of dried beans.

I can't wait to make these tomorrow!

Instead of crockpoting your dry beans don't soak them, just clean them, add salt & oil & cook them on the stove on medium for four hours. Keep adding water. Don't let them scorch. They taste much better.

To fry put a little oil in the pan, scoop in some beans, mash n stir, mash n stir. When they don't stick to the bottom they're done. Salt to taste.