Menu

Barron's 2009 SAT book question

My ds reserved the Barron's 2009 SAT book from the library. I was reading the front of the book, and it is advising about guessing and whether or not a question should be guessed at or not.

I thought I remembered reading that the SAT had changed, and I thought it had to do with a change on whether or not to guess. I can't remember what the change was.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is the 2009 book too out of date to bother with?

2. What was the change with the questions...should he guess or not?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

My ds reserved the Barron's 2009 SAT book from the library. I was reading the front of the book, and it is advising about guessing and whether or not a question should be guessed at or not.

I thought I remembered reading that the SAT had changed, and I thought it had to do with a change on whether or not to guess. I can't remember what the change was.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is the 2009 book too out of date to bother with?

2. What was the change with the questions...should he guess or not?

Thanks so much!

Hot Lava Mama

On the SAT you get 1 point for every correct answer, 1/4 of a point subtracted for each incorrect answer and 0 points subtracted for questions that are not answered. (In the math section, student produced responses that are incorrect do not have a penalty if they are incorrect.)

On the SAT 2 Subject tests, the amount of penalty for an incorrect answer depends on how many possible answers were available.

I found the above on the College Board website.

A quick Google search indicates that the penalty for incorrect multiple choice answers on AP exams was eliminated a couple years ago.