Menu

If you love bacon, and you love chocolate

My mil was British and she used Lyle's Golden Syrup in recipes and on pancakes. I have a can in my pantry right now. The ingredients listed are pure cane syrup and water. Don't know the ratio of syrup to water, though. Our local grocery store carries British foods so we get it there.

Cindy

Edited by Cindy in FL.

That sounds like an interesting recipe. Thanks for posting it! I will try definitely try it.

What is golden syrup?

You know what? I had to go look! On my bottle of Rogers Golden Syrup it says "100% pure cane sugar syrup."

As someone who had to learn to cook in the UK -- golden syrup is what I use in place of Karo Syrup in my American recipes. It makes great carmel corn.:001_smile: It is very sweet and tastes ever so slightly like molasses-- looks slightly darker then honey.

It is used here in place of sugar to make soft cookies--just a couple of tablespoons not a complete swap. Which is probably why it is in the brownie recipe.

When we first moved here it was all we could get for pancakes etc. We can't buy Oscar Meyer bacan yet up north yet but it is probably coming. We can get maple syrup pretty easy now--expensive but availiabe. The kids like golden syrup better now......

You know what? I had to go look! On my bottle of Rogers Golden Syrup it says "100% pure cane sugar syrup."

Thanks. I'll have to substitute 100% pure corn syrup.

I can't make these right away because I am leaving tomorrow for a week. My Mom, my dog, and I are going to a state park. I bookmarked the recipe and will make it when I get back.