Menu

Help me with book ideas?

d.g.

I'm trying to pull together some literature "units" for the next few years, most of them organized around a theme. Most of them are easy to plan for, some have so many options I'm having to limit my lists of books rather than struggle to find enough of them. The one that's giving me trouble right now is "A Boy and His Dog(s)."

Here's my list so far:

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Dogsong by Gary Paulsen

Sounder by William Armstrong

If I decided to expand the theme a bit, I could also add:

Rascal by Sterling North

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

White Fang by Jack London

What I need is more novels and/or short stories to flesh this out a bit. Anything from about a 4th grade reading level and up would be good. Any ideas?

Well, first of all, Sounder isn't really a dog story, so I'd get rid of that one. ;)

Oops. I hadn't gotten around to pre-skimming it yet. I never read it as a child/teen, and I'm not exactly sure where our copy came from. I guess I'm guilty of judging a book by its cover. :blushing:

Definitely adding these to the list:

Shiloh

My Dog Skip

Old Yeller

If I decide to expand the theme a bit, The Incredible Journey would be perfect. I don't know how I forgot it... it was one of my favorites when I was about 9.

Here's a big question: Stone Fox. I've avoided this book because everyone tells me how sad the ending is. Now DS is a bit older, and it's not like the rest of my book choices are all happily-ever-after. Should I include Stone Fox?