Menu

Testing verses delaying subjects?

Emagine

I read where some delay certain subjects rather it is math, spelling, grammar etc...

How do you do this if your required state testing etc? That part always throws me for a loop and makes me feel stuck on what we should do verses maybe just taking a break or delaying something a little while.

I imagine most people who delay probably live in states where testing isn't required, or it's not required at young ages.

We delayed formal spelling and I could easily see holding off on grammar for the first few grades, but in Oregon we aren't required to test until the end of third grade.

You might get a coy of a practice test geared to the test you'll be using and see what's on it. I dislike the idea of "teaching to the test", but it does pinpoint the major areas. We worked through one of these to get each child ready for the "fill-in-the-bubble" work and it revealed a few concepts we hadn't covered yet; we looked those over before the official test.

Erica in OR

PA requires testing but not every year (grades 3, 5, and 8). There is a list of subjects that must be taught in the primary grades, but according to the last HSing liaison at the PDE, technically only fire safety must be taught annually. I'm not sure if the current liaison follows that stance. I've heard of districts balking if a subject wasn't covered, but I'm not sure how hard they could press on that if push came to shove. In PA, test scores in and of themselves can't be used against a parent as far as I am aware, as long as there is "sustained progress in the overall program." Sometimes parents also just generate enough fodder for the port to show a subject was "covered" without spending a lot of time on it, iykwim. The port must contain "samples of work" which means it isn't difficult to toss in some port fodder...perhaps a family intentionally delays formal math study, but they spend time documenting real life exposures to mathematical principles like time, money, and basic arithmetic. They could put that in the port.

in VA, we commonly use a short CAT test which only covers english and math. and the kids only have to score in the 24th percentile. and . . if you dont want to test, you can hire a teacher to give your child a written evaluation to verify that they have made acceptable progress. But i delayed LA with my youngest, and he passed the test. He always had at least 1 subtest below the cutoff, but its the composite score that counts.