Menu

BJU is doing away with homesat

Quiver0f10

Hi Jean,

I just read about this at the Yahoo Group. Very discouraging to say the least. My first thought was of you as I recall you wanting to use it for your science...I'm so sorry.

Have you already signed up for the Satellite service? I ask because there IS a way for you to get the science classes without the satellite installed but you have to be a HomeSat customer. It is called DLA http://www.digitallearningnetwork.com/dla/dla_more_info.html

If you ask at the HomeSat yahoo list, people will tell you how to get the DLA service for free and how much they charge for entire classes on DVD. It is MUCH cheaper than BJU. Many use this option over recording their own classes. But again, you have to be a HomeSat customer.

Just an option to throw out there for you.

I plan to just record as many classes as I can this next year. I believe there are 11 that I still need to record to finish out my youngest's BJU education through 12th. Thankfully due to my older boys using classes I already have some on DVD.

I hope you find a workable solution.

Blessings,

Melissa,

I just heard DLA is going to be closed too. I was thinking of recording as many classes as I could, but we have to pay the subscription fee for as long as we use the DVD's we record. I would be using them for 14 years. I cannot imagine paying BJU $52/month for 14 years to use DVD's I recorded.

I'm seeing the same sort of thing in higher education with some colleges drastically reducing satellite-broadcast programs with basically only a month or so's notice. Pretty hard on people mid-degree....

My issue is that they could have warned NEW customers before we shelled out hundreds of dollars on equipment and thousands on books. I asked a rep point blank over a month ago if this rumor was true and he wouldn't confirm it. I could have retuned my stuff and would have, had I know we had just a year.

Melissa,

I cannot imagine paying BJU $52/month for 14 years to use DVD's I recorded.

I personally don't plan to. I paid for a Satellite service coming INTO my home on a daily basis. I paid for the DVD's. I paid for the books. I paid for the satellite. I paid for the DVD-recorder. As long as I use the classes I have recorded and PAID for, with MY child alone and do not sell them or record them for others, then I feel I can use these classes as long as I need to. Just because BJU has decided to discontinue the service, does not mean I am obligated to continue paying for a service they have discontinued! Yeah, not gonna happen. :confused:

I personally don't plan to. I paid for a Satellite service coming INTO my home on a daily basis. I paid for the DVD's. I paid for the books. I paid for the satellite. I paid for the DVD-recorder. As long as I use the classes I have recorded and PAID for, with MY child alone and do not sell them or record them for others, then I feel I can use these classes as long as I need to. Just because BJU has decided to discontinue the service, does not mean I am obligated to continue paying for a service they have discontinued! Yeah, not gonna happen. :confused:

This is how I felt at first and I know other's agree. I am just trying to decide what we( dh and I) should do morally.

Dear Jean,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how much research you did before you finally decided on BJU Homesat. I was wondering why you were considering Apologia again...

Can you contact BJU to let them know that you specifically asked about the rumor, and with the latest announcement, you feel like you were deceived by the BJU rep? I think they should give you a refund if you decide not to continue, and I would definitely talk to many BJU supervisors and managers about this. If nothing else, a BBB complaint will at least require BJU to spend more time (and money) in realizing that yes, customers do matter. Just my $0.02 though. I tend to "bother" companies that don't give good customer service. If nothing else, I've gotten my money's worth in the time they've had to deal with me.

This is how I felt at first and I know other's agree. I am just trying to decide what we( dh and I) should do morally.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I morally would not be able to do anything with my classes except use them for my own children. To do otherwise would be bothersome to me.

I paid for a service and recording the classes took a lot of time. I feel it is wrong of BJU to ask me to pay for something they no longer offer me! There was more to the satellite than classes. We loved some of the other things they offered like the cooking show (The Recipe Box) as well as some others. I did not mind paying $49 for all that was offered via satellite. But to pay that for...well...nothing but the right to use discs that I recorded on my own DVDs in my own time with a satellite I OWN. That's just not right. Perhaps I am morally in the wrong, I don't know, but my conscience is most definitely clear. ;)

[sigh] I just realized I own a satellite and reciever that will be USELESS come May of 2009. What in the WORLD am I to do with them? :confused:

Yeah, I know how you feel. I morally would not be able to do anything with my classes except use them for my own children. To do otherwise would be bothersome to me.

I paid for a service and recording the classes took a lot of time. I feel it is wrong of BJU to ask me to pay for something they no longer offer me! There was more to the satellite than classes. We loved some of the other things they offered like the cooking show (The Recipe Box) as well as some others. I did not mind paying $49 for all that was offered via satellite. But to pay that for...well...nothing but the right to use discs that I recorded on my own DVDs in my own time with a satellite I OWN. That's just not right. Perhaps I am morally in the wrong, I don't know, but my conscience is most definitely clear. ;)

[sigh] I just realized I own a satellite and reciever that will be USELESS come May of 2009. What in the WORLD am I to do with them? :confused:

This was just posted on the loop:

"For everything you can record the 2008-9 year, you can register and use later on, but continue to pay the $49.99 per month...the satellite is a "lincensing fee for content". It is in the contract that as you continue to use the dvd's you are subject to the fee..."

So we are paying for CONTENT hence them asking us to continue to pay $50 for eternity. :glare: . I have TWO dishes/ recievers because I boght one used then bought a new one, just this spring, so I could get the discount price on books. :001_huh:

"For everything you can record the 2008-9 year, you can register and use later on, but continue to pay the $49.99 per month...the satellite is a "lincensing fee for content". It is in the contract that as you continue to use the dvd's you are subject to the fee..."

And still I am unmoved... :blink:

What does that say about my moral conscience? :lol:

And still I am unmoved... :blink:

What does that say about my moral conscience? :lol:

:lol:

that you'd be using the free cable???

I'll pay while i can.... i think DH might have a HUGE problem with it.

Jean - apparently you can still get a refund, Amy on the list is.

I'm devastated....and DH isnt' happy to hear my life will be recording classes all year - BUT, he gets how much cheaper in the long run it will be.

I need another computer.

And some extra hours in the day.

this makes me sad. BJU makes me sad all around. They have not had a hotel meeting near us in 2 years. They are not offering shipping incentives. Their TMs are very expensive in my opinion. Okay, that is what it is.

But, the customer service has not been very good for me either. I asked recently if there was any possibility of shipping discounts (doesnt hurt to ask). They very curtly replied "NO, we dont have to offer such things." Repeatedly their reps have been almost arrogant and I would say even rude. It is as if they think they are the best and doing us a favor by letting us use their books. Our small (and only) local homeschool supply center has often said BJU is great, but they are not easy to order from or work with.

Sad, that a christian organization is acting like this.

Jean,

I am so sorry. You were one of the first people that I thought about when I read the news yesterday. I know you were all set up and ready to go.

As far as a refund, I think you should call BJU because I just read this on another board:

"I called a rep at BJU today to explain that I signed up for Homesat this

summer and wanted to know my options. They are accepting the dish, new

books, and registration for refunds *even though it's been beyond 30 days.*

The return policy is in effect for those of us who (feel ripped off) just

signed up for HomeSat. Of course, after buying four computers and all the

necessary recording equipment, the satellite is just a drop in the bucket

but anyway".

I hope you can get your money back.

from what I understand in reading the threads...BJU seems to be money hungry over this.

This has confirmed my feelings on BJU on wanting to get every dollar they can out of us.

Quiver...You paid for them so why should you pay a rental fee?? You paid for it and leave it at that. Also call and raise a STINK about it to BJU. They need to right this wrong they are doing.

Holly

this makes me sad. BJU makes me sad all around. They have not had a hotel meeting near us in 2 years. They are not offering shipping incentives. Their TMs are very expensive in my opinion. Okay, that is what it is.

But, the customer service has not been very good for me either. I asked recently if there was any possibility of shipping discounts (doesnt hurt to ask). They very curtly replied "NO, we dont have to offer such things." Repeatedly their reps have been almost arrogant and I would say even rude. It is as if they think they are the best and doing us a favor by letting us use their books. Our small (and only) local homeschool supply center has often said BJU is great, but they are not easy to order from or work with.

Holly,

You can get free shipping on BJU curriculum by placing your order through a homeworks consultant. Your books will ship right from BJU to you, it just takes a little longer since you have to wait for the consultant to place your order.

I am so sorry you have had problems with their customer service department. We have had the opposite experience. My dh has worked with their customer service dept. a few times this year due to transmission problems. He has been so impressed with their service.

from what I understand in reading the threads...BJU seems to be money hungry over this.

This has confirmed my feelings on BJU on wanting to get every dollar they can out of us.

Holly

Holly,

I didn't get the impression that they are making this move to get more money from their customers. My understanding is that they don't have a large enough homesat subscription base to support the satellite rental fee.

It stinks though.

Melissa,

I just heard DLA is going to be closed too. I was thinking of recording as many classes as I could, but we have to pay the subscription fee for as long as we use the DVD's we record. I would be using them for 14 years. I cannot imagine paying BJU $52/month for 14 years to use DVD's I recorded.

My first reaction is that this seems quite a greedy policy. But then I was wondering-is there any other type of business that does this. Is this type of practice more standard than I realize? But, I can't think of any........... Can anyone out there think of an instance where you keep paying for something like this?

A bigger question might be-will this DVD/DVR technology still be around in 14 years. Will the discs/recordings/machine still be good? Technology changes so quickly now......

Holly

I am getting a full refund and have the dish and books packed and ready to go back LOL. Have to give BJU credit for refunding me 100%.

I do have some books that I have bought here and there and those are on the sale board. Make me an offer! I need to buy new books ASAP! :D

BJUP is a business, not a non-profit organization. The whole point is to make a dollar--every dollar that can be made.

My best guess is that the monetary returns from HomeSat were not worth it for them. I don't know if there was a less painful way of discontinuing it or not, but I can't fault them for wanting to make a buck. Or two.

What I want to know is -- are they still recording new classes, or have they closed down the recording studio?

The press release said:

<<Although satellite delivery will be discontinued after May 31, 2009, our Distance Learning classes will continue to be available on DVD and Hard Drive. And we are researching other new ways to deliver our content.>>

So, are they going to sell the classes that are already recorded on DVD and hard drive? Or will they continue to update, upgrade, and record new classes and sell them on DVD and hard drive? I can live with the hard drive if they continue updating the classes. If they just keep selling what's in the can already, at some point, it will all be out of date and weird looking.

BJUP is the real deal. Yes, of course the program has to be financially viable in order for them to continue. They have to pay their bills, they have to make payroll, they have to have funds to record new classes. But they are not greedy. The majority of the people at HomeSat consider this their ministry. I have three relatives on staff there. I'm not saying they are God's gift to homeschoolers or anything; but they mean well. They mean very well.

Anyway, here's hoping that it's JUST the satellite that they're eliminating, not the entire project. I'll sleep better when this is clarified. I've used HomeSat from the first day of homeschool, and I can't imagine carrying on without it. :(

BJUP is a business, not a non-profit organization. The whole point is to make a dollar--every dollar that can be made.

My best guess is that the monetary returns from HomeSat were not worth it for them. I don't know if there was a less painful way of discontinuing it or not, but I can't fault them for wanting to make a buck. Or two.

I work for a state CC that hosts multiple "drops" for a 4-year state college that offers satellite courses, and their fall offerings are significantly fewer than a year ago. They've completely dropped courses for some programs with very little notice. The emails I've gotten indicate that the costs of doing such classes has drastically increased to the point that they're being much more careful about what they offer. I know several people who going to have to drive to other locations or even the main campus in order to finish their degrees now.

I've also seen a lot both in homeschool circles and in college about publishers that are in deep financial trouble because of increased costs and the downturn in the economy. There was an interesting article to that effect in the front of the latest Timberdoodle catalog, and I'm getting emails from college publishers warning that they're doing limited runs of textbooks and to be sure to get our textbook orders in as early as possible because stock is going to be limited in the fall.

Of course it's very hard on those affected, but sometimes choices have to be in order to stay in business. My guess is that some folks at BJUP are going to be finding other work because of this change as well. And I can't believe that they'll stick with collecting the monthly fee after HomeSat is gone. That won't last for long...will it?

I am very sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience.

I used BJU Homesat service for 2 years, and every time I called the customer service was wonderful. I had no problem whatsoever with rude or arrogant people. As a matter of fact, when I was first considering the Homesat option I was unsure of where to place my son in their reading. I called BJU and asked for help. I was transferred to a very nice lady in the education dept. I believe ( she could have been one of the textbook authors) who graciously took over 30-45 minutes of her time to go over all my options with me. I feel she went completely out of her way to help me.

I have had only good experiences with BJU.

I can say I called and talked to customer service to verify the discontinuation of the satellite service. Again, I felt I was treated courteously even thought I know they must be swamped with calls right now. Though the satellite service will end in May of 2009, they are looking at other options for delivering this content. Possibly one day people will be able to download the classes from the internet. That would be a wonderful option.

So, even though our family had stopped utilizing the BJU Homesat classes, I am still bummed that it won't be an option for us next year when my daughter hits high school. I also truly feel sadness for the families that are affected by this decision from BJU.:crying:

Sue

Dear Jean,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how much research you did before you finally decided on BJU Homesat. I was wondering why you were considering Apologia again...

Can you contact BJU to let them know that you specifically asked about the rumor, and with the latest announcement, you feel like you were deceived by the BJU rep? I think they should give you a refund if you decide not to continue, and I would definitely talk to many BJU supervisors and managers about this. If nothing else, a BBB complaint will at least require BJU to spend more time (and money) in realizing that yes, customers do matter. Just my $0.02 though. I tend to "bother" companies that don't give good customer service. If nothing else, I've gotten my money's worth in the time they've had to deal with me.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

So sorry, Jean. Saying a prayer for you~

Rhonda

Hard drive and DVD are staying....

Just not financially feasible for some of us :(

What I want to know is -- are they still recording new classes, or have they closed down the recording studio?

The press release said:

<<Although satellite delivery will be discontinued after May 31, 2009, our Distance Learning classes will continue to be available on DVD and Hard Drive. And we are researching other new ways to deliver our content.>>

So, are they going to sell the classes that are already recorded on DVD and hard drive? Or will they continue to update, upgrade, and record new classes and sell them on DVD and hard drive? I can live with the hard drive if they continue updating the classes. If they just keep selling what's in the can already, at some point, it will all be out of date and weird looking.

BJUP is the real deal. Yes, of course the program has to be financially viable in order for them to continue. They have to pay their bills, they have to make payroll, they have to have funds to record new classes. But they are not greedy. The majority of the people at HomeSat consider this their ministry. I have three relatives on staff there. I'm not saying they are God's gift to homeschoolers or anything; but they mean well. They mean very well.

Anyway, here's hoping that it's JUST the satellite that they're eliminating, not the entire project. I'll sleep better when this is clarified. I've used HomeSat from the first day of homeschool, and I can't imagine carrying on without it. :(

I am getting a full refund and have the dish and books packed and ready to go back LOL. Have to give BJU credit for refunding me 100%.

That's fantastic Jean! I am glad you're at least getting your money back. ;)This will be my 3rd year with BJU and they have always treated me well. I'm glad they are still in the treating-people-well business. :D 100% refund sounds good!

In response to some of the other posts: I have never thought of BJU as money hungry or greedy, and when I heard they were upping the monthly fees I still didn't think it was out of greed. Their TE's are expensive because they just ARE! Not because they are price gouging. A company would not offer 20%-30% discounts and free shipping to customers if they were money-hungry and greedy. I know when I used A beka the best discount I was every offered was 10%! I also don't believe BJU has made this decision to cancel the HomeSat service lightly. It's a big deal not only to us, but to many of the teacher's and staff at BJU! I have every confidence that they will continue searching for viable options for us.

Also, I have ALWAYS been treated with the very greatest respect when talking to anyone at customer service!! ALWAYS! And, when I ask questions by email they get right back to me the same day, sometimes within minutes. I am sure that there are instances when someone gets a bad representative who is perhaps having a really bad day...but I truly believe that is the exception, not the norm. ;)

They didn't know till yesterday afternoon.

There have been rumors though...... but this was the first official word.

Who didn't "know" until yesterday? BJU? Not true. A friend of mine was told by a rep at their hotel meeting MONTHS ago that eventually they're going to discontinue all Homesat and go to DVD/hard drive only.

They also said that customers won't have the option of choosing different grade levels for the students anymore... that you'll have to buy complete grade-level packages from that point on.

I wasn't clear on whether that means they'll discontinue selling separate textbooks w/o technology, though. This was just for the Homesat/DVD/hard drive discussion.

But yes, my friend was told this by a BJU rep several months ago. Maybe even a year? I can't remember exactly when she told me, but BJU knew what was coming.

Who didn't "know" until yesterday? BJU? Not true. A friend of mine was told by a rep at their hotel meeting MONTHS ago that eventually they're going to discontinue all Homesat and go to DVD/hard drive only.

See, this was/is my main gripe. I had heard this rumor and called BJU to find out. At the time I still was under my 30 days to retern my stuff for a full refund. I was told they didn't know. Then come to find out the rumor is true and now it's too late to return the books. I was steaming mad. I am very thankful to BJU for making it right, but I am still upset the truth wasn't told to new custimers as they made huge these purchases.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest burnedagain

I am still numb from this last minute revelation. To save retyping (two finger typist) here is a copy of an email I am sending to BJUP: To the Unconcerned, You have destroyed our ability to home school. We have 4 children. We save textbooks for the next child. Text books are included in both the other options, so I will end up paying for 4 of each textbook which all 4 children use. You could at least separate the class fee from the material expense. What a waste. We will not be able to afford $4000.00 per year to home school our family. (And no discount on the hard drive option? Not enough profit, I suppose.) We would have gladly doubled or tripled our satellite fee to continue using it. You never even asked. BJ Homesat was a Godsend for us when we started. It has turned out to be a curse. If we had known you would simply abandon us mid-stream we would never have started. This is awful. We encouraged other families to start using the service over the last couple of years. They did. They also invested in satellite equipment, computers for recording, textbooks and other materials. We all planned on using Homesat all the way through. Then, boom. All gone. Shame on you. Sincerely,

This is just a random post as I do not use BJU. But I do use Calvert and they have a similar policy on their manuals. As for moral conscience, here is where I land...I won't resell their manuals, I get that. I mean, they work hard to make them and they sell them and I really shouldn't. But they also tell me to destroy them...don't use them with consecutive children. WHAT? I have no issue what.so.ever. using something I have paid for until I can't use it any longer. That is like telling me to watch my TV for one year and then destroy it. If my kids want to watch TV, we will need to buy them each one because they can't share.

I am sorry, but I draw the line at companies obviously trying to control and profit. I understand not selling their manuals to others. I don't understand not using them with my own kids...or *gasp* as some kind of reference or thing to look back on in the future. Whatever! At this point, I think they are maybe the ones lacking in a bit of morality.

Just my kind of unrelated 2 cents worth.

My first reaction is that this seems quite a greedy policy. But then I was wondering-is there any other type of business that does this. Is this type of practice more standard than I realize? But, I can't think of any........... Can anyone out there think of an instance where you keep paying for something like this?

A bigger question might be-will this DVD/DVR technology still be around in 14 years. Will the discs/recordings/machine still be good? Technology changes so quickly now......

Holly

DVD technology is being replaced by Blu-Ray. I'd guess that in 14 yrs, your dvd's will be usable (if they aren't scratched, I haven't had one last that long!), but your dvd player won't be working.