Menu

Writing Programs - suggestions enter here PLEASE

In a nutshell, I need a writing program for my 13 yo/8th grade dd.

Background: I use Abeka Language Arts, now English (Grammar and Composition book). I've always used Abeka - it's an excellent program.

THEN, she had a seizure when she was finishing 2nd grade. Around this time she wrote a few sentences and it progressed to a paragraph of 5-10 sentences.

I did not push the writing because it was all I could do just to have to work on and complete her core subjects. This pattern continued for a few years.

When she started 5th or 6th (don't remember which) I started using Wordsmith and Write Shop wiith her. She doesn't care for each one. The skills she learned were compromised b/c of her seizure.

Should I go back to a writing program at the 5/6 grade level? Would you recommend another writing program?

My dd needs to relearn (maybe), but definately review the basic writing pattern - sentence structure, paragraph structure....very basic instruction of the process of writing. She needs to start with writing good, vivid sentences and progress to paragraphs. In the near future she needs to advance to writing paragrahps which would form a paper of some length...maybe 2-3 pages or 4-5.

HELP! What suggestions do you have to share?

If you would change the program, I'd like to know which one and WHY! With all programs what are the pros and cons?

THANKS!

I've started using this. It is working well for my ds10, but it says it's for middle school. We use ABeka, too, and there just wasn't enough writing instruction for him.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-paragraph-book-1/dianne-tucker-laplount/9780838826713/pd/372671?product_redirect=1&Ntt=372671&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

Edited by bagel270
link lost

My son (12) just naturally has a more difficult time communicating than others. I don't know why, but it seems like he needs the writing process broken down into as many tiny manageable parts as he can. Maybe it's just me - that I can't teach writing. But either way, this year I finally feel like we have found what we need.

We are using the Killgallon Book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0325012466/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00 to work on writing sentences. The lessons are short and simple, but have some real meat to them.

Then to work on writing paragraphs someone on these boards recommended The Paragraph Books http://www.christianbook.com/the-paragraph-book-1/dianne-tucker-laplount/9780838826713/pd/372671?event=CFN

I don't think they could have broken the process down or made the steps anymore practical than this. I thinks it's fabulous. It's meant to remediate middle school students in writing.

I'm not going to gush because no one thing works for everyone, but I am SO GRATEFUL that I found these resources to use with my son. They are just what we needed.

My ds(12) doesn't like to write because most programs start with him having to come up with what to write about. I'm going to use IEW because they take care of that part for him but still do a good job of teaching him how to write paragraphs, grammar etc. I really like that they start by having the kids read a paragraph and take out key words to later use to make sentences with and then paragraphs. A great approach to get him up to speed.

I did a little research and learned that the SWI -A has 3rd-5th graders in the video's (which would bother him ) and so am going with SWI-B, which covers the same material but is meant for older children. I watched some of Andrew Pudewa's lessons on you-tube and thought he was a very engaging teacher.

IEW. It's so good for reluctant writers and kids who have problems writing. The structure it provides just helps them out tremendously.

You could try to find a class, or start with SWI-A at home. (B is middle school level; it sounds like you'd want to start with A and then you could always do B later.)

I did SWI-B with a neurologically normal but extremely writing-phobic 12 yo last year, and now he's repeating the same level in a classroom environment. Doubling the exposure - first in a quiet, "safe" home environment and then a second time with a teacher other than me -- seems to be working out very well for him.

We love IEW. I also think that with any struggling or reluctant writer, it can be a good idea to separate the physical act of handwriting from the mental act of composing sentences and paragraphs. They are two difficult skillsets with all kinds of different things that go into them. When my son was in the lower grades, he dictated to me and I typed. He learned to type pretty young and that has helped tremendously. Even now, a request for a handwritten story might get me three sentences of five words each, but a typed story with no guidelines might range from several paragraphs to several pages.

In a nutshell, I need a writing program for my 13 yo/8th grade dd.

Background: I use Abeka Language Arts, now English (Grammar and Composition book). I've always used Abeka - it's an excellent program.

THEN, she had a seizure when she was finishing 2nd grade. Around this time she wrote a few sentences and it progressed to a paragraph of 5-10 sentences.

I did not push the writing because it was all I could do just to have to work on and complete her core subjects. This pattern continued for a few years.

When she started 5th or 6th (don't remember which) I started using Wordsmith and Write Shop wiith her. She doesn't care for each one. The skills she learned were compromised b/c of her seizure.

Should I go back to a writing program at the 5/6 grade level? Would you recommend another writing program?

My dd needs to relearn (maybe), but definately review the basic writing pattern - sentence structure, paragraph structure....very basic instruction of the process of writing. She needs to start with writing good, vivid sentences and progress to paragraphs. In the near future she needs to advance to writing paragrahps which would form a paper of some length...maybe 2-3 pages or 4-5.

HELP! What suggestions do you have to share?

If you would change the program, I'd like to know which one and WHY! With all programs what are the pros and cons?

THANKS!

Due to the bolded, and her circumstances, I would avoid Writing Strands and Writing With Skill. I just looked at "The paragraph book" that Scrapbabe recommended, and if it were me, I'd start there. There are four levels, so you could start w/ the one that you think would be at her level. I wish I had known about it when my ds was in 4th grade, it looks just like what he needed. Writing Strands and Wordsmith were disasters w/ him. He did ok w/ Imitations in Writing and IEW. Writing has always been a struggle for him. My second choice would be IEW, probably A.

Due to the bolded, and her circumstances, I would avoid Writing Strands and Writing With Skill. I just looked at "The paragraph book" that Scrapbabe recommended, and if it were me, I'd start there. There are four levels, so you could start w/ the one that you think would be at her level. I wish I had known about it when my ds was in 4th grade, it looks just like what he needed. Writing Strands and Wordsmith were disasters w/ him. He did ok w/ Imitations in Writing and IEW. Writing has always been a struggle for him. My second choice would be IEW, probably A.

:iagree:

WWS isn't as basic as you've said your daughter needs. Scrapbabe's two reccomendations look spot-on.