Menu

Traditional Logic at a Grade 3 Reading Level?

Hunter

What is available at a grade 3 reading level, but systematically covers the topics in MP Traditional Logic 1?

I especially need to cover "therefore" vs "and", or someone needs to just come shoot me, and put me out of my misery. :banghead: When I try to teach this topic without a text, it's threatening to the student, and sometimes even unbelievable, so therefore debatable. My OCD brain cannot handle the things it is being exposed to. Just...OUCH!

What age student? Were you the one who is doing literacy tutoring for adults?

Yes. This can be "babyish". I copy content, or read it aloud, if it's too cartoony; or sometimes just use it as is with playful students, who appreciate an efficient curriculum when they see it.

I need short sentences and mini lessons, but traditional middle school content. Or I'm going to have to "translate" MP's Traditional Logic course.

"Therefore" vs "and" is incomprehensible to multiple students I have taught. At first I was blaming this on mental illness ramblings, but I'm seeing now that it is part learning disability, mixed with a HUGE deficit in content, and having never been introduced to basic cause and effect concepts. This is more than unmedicated ramblings, and something I believe CAN be remediated with the proper resources.

Not a resource, but a possible natural-language translation for "therefore":

"blah blah, therefore, this"

means

"because blah blah, this"

as in

he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, therefore he doesn't want me to know he took it

equals

because he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, he doesn't want me to know he took it

vs. and:

blah blah, and, this

which just means blah blah is true and also this is true; there could be a connection, there might not be a connection

as in, he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, and it's a beautiful sunny day in New Jersey

I don't know if what I've suggested passes logical muster at the level you need, but thinking out loud.

Not a resource, but a possible natural-language translation for "therefore":

"blah blah, therefore, this"

means

"because blah blah, this"

as in

he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, therefore he doesn't want me to know he took it

equals

because he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, he doesn't want me to know he took it

vs. and:

blah blah, and, this

which just means blah blah is true and also this is true; there could be a connection, there might not be a connection

as in, he wasn't supposed to take the cookie, and it's a beautiful sunny day in New Jersey

I don't know if what I've suggested passes logical muster at the level you need, but thinking out loud.

This might be helpful. I'm still processing. Hitting this from as many different ways as possible is good. It shows that I'm not making this up, and am not just "being a contrarian". We did some cause and effect during science this morning. I have a Social studies homework help type booklet, that I'm going to pull some more cause and effect from. All ideas are helpful.

What you posted above looks to me like something that could possibly be turned into a sentence composition and punctuation pattern lesson. Thank you.

Edited by Hunter

I've often heard, "What is the "therefore" there for?" It shows there is a cause for it to look for in the writing. With "and" that isn't the case.

Thanks. I love catchy phrases. Once the concept is cemented it can be reviewed as needed with just a few words. Thanks.

What about one of the Prufrock Press Logic books? Their Logic series covers every grade/age...maybe you could look over samples and find an appropriate level?

What about Logic Safari? Figuring out the puzzles about who did what requires the student to think in terms of "and" and "therefore"?

Do you think the puzzles help that much?

Well, I only have experience using them with my 1st grader, so I can't claim to have ever taught formal logic. I read them with her and have her do the thinking on the puzzles (for Logic Safari) and I find myself using the words "and" and "therefore" to help her draw conclusions: for example, if Pam, Stan, and Bill all like red, blue, and green, then (or therefore), Bob has to like yellow because it's the only color left. :001_smile:

This group I'm teaching now just doesn't infer and make mental leaps. Everything has to be explicit.

I can't find my copy of Traditional Logic. I need to look harder for it. I used this curriculum with one of my sons, quite awhile ago. I forget a lot of it. And he could make mental jumps. So maybe it wasn't so great a curriculum, but I know he learned "therefore" from it (Or maybe it was his funky New York math textbook). Other than being disgusted with some judgmental comments about a famous basketball player being used as an example, I don't remember much.

I'm leery of the puzzle and pattern workbooks that I see for the younger ones.

Maybe I need to just chill and keep working on planning more strategic content lessons, which I'm learning is also a BIG part of the problem. I never had to teach content strategically before. I'm afraid that taking time from 3R skills and content to do puzzles will accomplish less instead of more, in remediating this problem.

Can you post some examples of what you are hearing?

"I ate some strawberries. Then I felt like I was going to pass out. The strawberries were drugged."

"I just ate eggplant. I'm itchy. Some people get itchy from eggplant. My sister says eggplant makes her itchy. I'm allergic to eggplant."

You asked. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not going to give any more examples. Honestly I try to forget the specifics as fast as they happen. I'm more concerned with the big picture.

Yes, there is more going on here than lack of understanding of science and logic, but it adds to it.

The world is just a crazy unpredictable place to people who have never been exposed to certain facts and rules and generalizations. I just want to focus more on basic science, history and elementary logic, than the things that are being said, that twist my poor OCD brain into a pretzel.