Menu

What do you do when...

the mind is willing but the body isn't?

I have so much I need to do. I have lists and ideas and plenty of time this weekend to accomplish possibly all of the jobs. I think I'm going to get up and go take care of ___. But then the body is ready to collapse back in the bed.

How do I get moving?

Actually getting up for me is one problem that I take slowly. I take my thyroid pill. I hang out here for awhile to get awake. (Even if I didn't have to take a thyroid pill I think I would still sit, get my mind awake first and then move into the day.

Getting stuff done on my list when my body aches with fatigue etc. is another problem. I do a couple of things.

a. I share my to-do list with an accountability buddy. I give updates on how I'm doing at noon and before dinner.

b. I divide up the list between my "team" - the kids and I work together on a lot of projects. We set up the timer for 20 min. sessions. We do rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to choose the music for the first 20 min. and subsequent 20 min. sessions. I put out the list and we tackle it, crossing stuff off as we get it done.

c. If it is stuff that only I can do, I will sometimes put on the timer for 20 min. sessions (or sometimes even five min. if I'm in a lot of pain) and do stuff for just that long before collapsing here for a few while I catch my breath.

I have sosososososo much to do. It seems to be stopping me from doing anything. In fact, I think I may take a nap. Then, lunch. Maybe then I"ll get to work... or not. maybe I should take the day off.

Wait, that didn't help did it? If I really need to work, I get up. head straight to McDonalds. Get unsweet iced tea. Drink and head to get stuff accomplished. The caffeine really helps me get going! Obviously I didn't have any this morning.:D:tongue_smilie:

I have so much I need to do. I have lists and ideas and plenty of time this weekend to accomplish possibly all of the jobs. I think I'm going to get up and go take care of ___. But then the body is ready to collapse back in the bed.

How do I get moving?

Habit? If I get up at 6:30 every day, sleeping in until 8am on weekends feels heavenly ;-)

Coffee and a nice breakfast.

Think of how rewarding it will feel to have everything done.

Think of a fun thing you will do when it is done.

Think of the great example you will set for your kids.

Chucki, it depends what is going on. are you depressed? are you sleeping enough? could there be an un-dx'd health problem? I had more energy when I quit glutne, but cant do anything when i'm in pain . . . and sometimes you just have to kinda prioritize. and let go of things you think you should do but know you will never get around to.

would you like to know how often our toilets get scrubbed :confused:

Habit

Coffee

A good reward

I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 M-F and follow a pretty good routine of kids, work, schoolin' house, etc. I sleep until 8 or 9 Sat. and Sun. I start with coffee everyday. I have a list of things that MUST get done on Saturday and plan a nice reward for myself. If possible, the reward is pizza at my favorite place which equals a dinner I don't have to prepare or clean-up after. Other good rewards include an extra glass of wine and new a book. I'm pretty simple and easy to please, but I need a carrot to get my cart rolling. Saturday is my cleaning and errand day. Sunday is my craft or project or rest and relax day. I try to plan enough each day to fill 5-8 hours and no more that way I can enjoy the rest of my two days off a week. Right now, I'm on a coffee break. :)

You're asking us/me:confused: This morning aunt Flo arrived, I took a Tylenol and I'm slowly going through the motions. I've promised myself a nap later. Carrot and stick...

(I miss caffeine and chocolate today more than ever.)

How do I get moving?

I force myself to take that first step. It's SOOO hard, but I just have to do it.

This morning, I made myself put laundry away. It turned into cleaning up the boys' room and moving toys out of my living room into theirs, decluttering some stuffies, straightening up my bookshelves, and emptying out my fridge. None of which I had any interest in tackling, but I was already moving, so why not?

You just did a VERY long road trip. That really takes it out of you.

:iagree:

It helps to go through mail and such so you know what you can postpone and what is critical to do today. Plot the tasks over the next week so you know that it all will/can get done rather than stressing over having it all on today's list.

Make a plan.

Work the plan.

I often have this problem, and it's very frustrating. In my case it's a thyroid disorder, but even with meds I have these periods of extreme fatigue where I feel like sludge. Other than coffee and sleep, the one thing that helps be productive with my time is a tip I learned from some organizational guru, I can't remember who. In any case, she recommended picking 5 things a day to accomplish-they could be big or little things, just something you know you can get done. I've actually adapted it to two things. I have a Covey planner and I write my two things down everyday, and I tell myself, "If I can just get these two things done, I'll feel like I've had a productive day and will have accomplished something." So my two things tend to be one big and one small thing like clean a drawer and spend 20 minutes in the back yard. Or file paperwork and organize my closet. This system has helped tremedously.

You just did a VERY long road trip. That really takes it out of you. Pick a few things so you feel productive and move the rest to later. You'll feel up to it soon!

:iagree:

It helps to go through mail and such so you know what you can postpone and what is critical to do today. Plot the tasks over the next week so you know that it all will/can get done rather than stressing over having it all on today's list.

Make a plan.

Work the plan.

:iagree: Trips can take a lot out of you, and I think you should just take it slow. Go through the mail. Throw something in the crockpot for dinner. Do a load of laundry. Find something that relaxes you. Maybe go outside and water some plants or take a short walk. But don't push yourself today. Give yourself at least today to recover!!

Chucki, it depends what is going on. are you depressed? are you sleeping enough? could there be an un-dx'd health problem? I had more energy when I quit glutne, but cant do anything when i'm in pain . . . and sometimes you just have to kinda prioritize. and let go of things you think you should do but know you will never get around to.

would you like to know how often our toilets get scrubbed :confused:

Lots of stress in the last 18 days:

I just want a clean clutter-free peaceful house. I'm the only one that can produce that. So I have to get off my rear tomorrow and get moving. Maybe I can mainline Irish breakfast tea.

Edited by Parrothead
Privacy

How do I get moving?

I don't. I give myself a melatonin and deal with it all later.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Be gentle with yourself when your emotionally wiped out.

:grouphug: its a lot. i'm sorry.

if it were me, i'd start laundry, do dishes and then pick one room to recover, and start in on it. i'd reboot laundry, reboot dishes and continue with that one room until it was done. that way, i'd have an oasis of peace to retreat to while i tackled the next room..... i usually do the dining room, so that we can all eat dinner together in a peace-full place.

:grouphug:

ann

Sounds like it's time to take care of yourself instead of scratching points off a list. Take it easy. Get up, sit in a comfortable chair with a cup of Irish Breakfast Tea and pray, ponder life, look at a beautiful flower, pray again. :001_smile:

You mention a lot of chaos in the last few days and you need to recharge. There will be time to get the stuff on your list done. Today may not be the day.

Lots of stress in the last 18 days:

Dh's stepdad's death

The trip south

The funeral

The guilt trips because we were not visiting with his side/my side long enough to suit them

The southern heat

Hotel beds

The trip north

Spending the emergency fund to pay for the trip

Dh accidentally getting aspartame during the last week of the trip

The uncontrollable rage that manifested yesterday morning

The three hours we were separated, dd and I were homeless

Lack of sleep

Cleaning the outside of the house

The inside of the house is disorganized and cluttered which leads to stress and a lack of my ability to properly function. Hence the thread title.

I just want a clean clutter-free peaceful house. I'm the only one that can produce that. So I have to get off my rear tomorrow and get moving. Maybe I can mainline Irish breakfast tea.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:That iS SO much to handle. Maybe the stress of it all is too taxing to be Wonder Woman at the moment. Do what you can but listen to your body!!!!!

I am so sorry!!!!!

HUGS!

Well, I would say sometimes your body needs to just rest, and your mind. I have a tendency to push myself too hard and then I end up collapsing in a heap. This pregnancy has been a test for me in that way because my body refuses to allow me to do near what I usually do. So, I do things in little chunks, enlist the kids to help(alot), lower my expectations, and enjoy what I can do- which is enjoy time with the kids cuddled up and talking and listening. I'd like to have more physical peace but we are clean enough right now, so we are enjoying more mental peace and enjoying building relationships a lot more.