Menu

Favorite Scholastic ebooks for Kindy History, Social Studies, Science, Art, Seasons..

rachelpants

......Kindergarten, History, Social Studies, Science, Seasons, Crafts, Holidays, Nursery Rhymes etc, etc....

I'm looking for a little "filler" for K. I noticed that the Scholastic ebook sale is still going.

Any favorites for Kindergarten?

Thanks!

Edited by rachelpants

I used a lot of Scholastic for K. I found I did a lot of prep and didn't use it. I liked and used the stuff I could just print and go.

Math

Math Mats & Games: Measurement

Math Mats & Games: Time

Money Math Learning Center

Write and Learn Number Practice Pages

Mini-Books - Require prep: print, cut, fold and staple

26 Interactive Alphabet Mini-Books

Read and Write Phonics

15 Reproducible Cut and Paste Mini-Dictionaries

Sequencing Practice Mini-Books

Read and Solve Mini Math Books

My First Little Readers B & C

Reading

100 Words by 1st Grade

Write and Learn Word Family Practice Pages

Fun and Easy Word Building Activities

The Big Collection of Phonics Flip-Books - loved it but required prep of printing, cutting and stapling. Plus you end up with lots of word family books all over.

Science

All About Me Write and Read Books - needs prep

Fresh and Fun Teeth - I did a whole unit on teeth with experiments and worked some of these in.

Coffee Can Science

Sandwich bag science

Soda bottle science

Social Studies

Our Country Write and Read - Mini-book

Fun-Filled 5-10 Minute Social Studies Activities for Young Learners - I found I didn't like the activities books because I would forget to use them. They are books that are more for you with a list of activities you can do. If you think you'll use it, this one is pretty good for coming up with ideas on the fly that don't require a bunch of prep.

All About the Farm

Seasons & Holidays

Fresh & Fun Thanksgiving - all subjects tied into Thanksgiving

50 month by month draw and write prompts - print the whole page and go-easy

Art

Follow the directions Art Activities - it's art...it going to require prep:tongue_smilie:

Little Kids: Draw! - Love this! Print and go

Little Kids: Mold and Paint!

Little Kids: Cook!

ETA: the Mother Goose Math and Phonics are super cute, but require a lot of prep

This is a great list - might have to print it for when we are doing K with our daughter we are adopting from China.

My favorite Scholastic E-book I used with my Kindy son last year was Science with Favorite Picture books. This year (1st grade) we are going to use Lift & Look Science Mini books and Remarkable Reptiles. One thing I will say about the Scholastic Books: I wish they had the recommended age range in the first page or title somehow. I have gotten lots of free things and $1 items and then later couldn't remember what age and had to go back and search on Scholastic! So maybe as you are saving items divide them into folders or put in in your file name somehow!

I used a lot of Scholastic for K. I found I did a lot of prep and didn't use it. I liked and used the stuff I could just print and go.

Math

Read and Write Phonics

Reading

100 Words by 1st Grade

The Big Collection of Phonics Flip-Books - loved it but required prep of printing, cutting and stapling. Plus you end up with lots of word family books all over.

Science

Fresh and Fun Teeth - I did a whole unit on teeth with experiments and worked some of these in.

Coffee Can Science

Sandwich bag science

Soda bottle science

Social Studies

Fun-Filled 5-10 Minute Social Studies Activities for Young Learners - I found I didn't like the activities books because I would forget to use them. They are books that are more for you with a list of activities you can do. If you think you'll use it, this one is pretty good for coming up with ideas on the fly that don't require a bunch of prep.

All About the Farm

Seasons & Holidays

Art

Follow the directions Art Activities - it's art...it going to require prep:tongue_smilie:

ETA: the Mother Goose Math and Phonics are super cute, but require a lot of prep

Great list!! I was looking at these books earlier in the week:

Coffee Can Science

Sandwich bag science

Soda bottle science

They say Grade 4-8. Did you find them easily adaptable for younger grades? They look so fun! Thanks!

I love the monthly activity guides. I try to do a few activities from them every month. Some of the ones that are called things like "Big Shapes to Color" are also very useful for doing seasonal window displays.

Thank you for your ideas!!!!

Lol...the Scholastic search function is TERRIBLE, I can't seem to find the monthly activity guides....do you remember a specific name of one? I seem to be having better luck searching through google, but I can't find a match for these.

Math

Read and Write Phonics

Reading

100 Words by 1st Grade

Science

Coffee Can Science

Sandwich bag science

Soda bottle science

Social Studies

All About the Farm

Seasons & Holidays

Art

Oh, this is so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to put it all together!

One thing I will say about the Scholastic Books: I wish they had the recommended age range in the first page or title somehow. I have gotten lots of free things and $1 items and then later couldn't remember what age and had to go back and search on Scholastic! So maybe as you are saving items divide them into folders or put in in your file name somehow!

Good idea! Thanks!

Thank you for your ideas!!!!

Lol...the Scholastic search function is TERRIBLE, I can't seem to find the monthly activity guides....do you remember a specific name of one? I seem to be having better luck searching through google, but I can't find a match for these.

Their seach function is SOOOO bad. It's ridiculous. It used to be fine, and then they redid the site and made it just awful.

Here's the one for September: http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/september-idea-book-mkt8183

October:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/october-idea-book-mkt8184

They have them for all the months, and usually when Scholastic does their dollar sales they'll put the next few months on sale... right now all 12 are on sale, which is unusual IME.

And one for September October November combined (I believe it has different things from the individual months... there's a yearly idea book that has all 12 months that I know is all different, but I don't think it's on sale now.

It isn't a scholastic book, but the book Home to Boston is pretty inexpensive on Amazon. It is a good kids history book that talks about a bunch of the different landmarks around Boston, so there are a variety of references to the Revolutionary War. It might be worth a shot! It is only on Kindle, but you can use a the free Kindle Cloud app to read it on your computer. Hope this helps!