Menu

Question for those that supplement Singapore...

alisoncooks

I am thinking of adding on to Singapore 1A/1B.

We really (*really*) enjoy SM, but I'm just worried that DD needs more....something. Practice? Review? IDK...

(FYI: we do have the Right Start game set, an xtramath acct. for drill)

I'm considering adding in MEP a couple of times a week, but all that printing seems so DAUNTING! And expensive! I'm also considering Rod & Staff (b/c it's inexpensive, but seems like a solid/traditional approach).

Thoughts? I'm not familiar with Math Mammoth (I have looked @ it, just have never been terribly moved one way or the other with it...)

Any suggestions? Do you add to Singapore? And if so, how do you fit it all in (schedule it)?

Maybe SM is enough by itself... I certainly don't want to overload DD!

My DD is doing Horizons K about 6 times a week then we add in Singapore a few times a week when she is ready for the next section - we only use the practice book however. She is nearly finished 1a now. We also do MEP but only every once in a while and just use it as a change. When Horizons gets too much or becomes boring then we drop it for a while and just do the other two. But then we school year round and my DD is younger so I am not in a hurry to rush through any of the curricula we are using.

We're using IP, CWP, Process Skills, the Singapore Test books, and Math Express.

If I feel like DS needs more practice, I'll print something from any of the many many many math practice websites I've found online.

Specifically, I really like www.edhelper.com. It's a pay subscription and honestly, navigating it is daunting, but there is SO much there. It's not often that I need to print anything for him, though. Maybe with the exception of daily drills. He gets plenty of practice from the other books.

We do MEP on top of SM. Though, here it's not because I feel like either is program is lacking. Rather, it is to slow my oldest down a bit through math and allow her time to actually digest what we're doing. When we finish one semester of whatever, we switch to the next semester of the other program. I require SOME mathwork, even on breaks. For example, within a few weeks of us starting school, she had completed MEP 2a, so we moved on to SM 2a. I don't try to align topics. We just work through either one.

We have done different things at different points with different kids. With SM 1A/B and 2A/B my middle three did both SM and CLE 100's and 200's. My twins then did CLE 300's and are now back to SM 3. We are now done with CLE for these kiddos. The twins now use SM text, workbooks and EP and supplement with MM Blue Series topic books, they do CWP a year behind. My oldest son does all of SM with CWP/IP, but he now has a tutor instead of supplementing.

I supplement with Japanese Math. My son loves the Math Kit manipulatives and activity kit. I bought the textbook and workbook but they are thin and some days I think they are worth the money some days I am not so sure. The math kit manipulatives are worth 33 dollars to me because my son loves them.

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/other/mathkitA.html

This is the link for the math kit manual.

http://www.globaledresources.com/resources/teachermanuals/MathToolKitManualv5S.pdf

We alternate between using c-rods (Rosie's education unboxed videos are fantastic) and the Japanese manipulatives.

Edited by Nart

Thanks for all the responses. We actually do have the CWP book (as many have responded) -- we just haven't used it yet (was thinking I should wait on it). We also have the Math Sprints book from Singapore (again, have just been holding off on it), as well as other math drill books/games/RS games kit, etc...

I guess -- despite all the different suggestions here -- that the consensus is that it is okay (even preferable?) to supplement Singapore. It's comforting to know others do it (and your brains haven't exploded yet, from too much knowledge, right?). :D

And again, for reference, we do love Singapore (DD & I find our math time together quite enjoyable). Maybe I just have "grass is greener" syndrome.... or just want more of a good thing. :)

We use Singapore (textbook, workbook, and IP), LoF (a chapter a day), Miquon (sometimes a few pages sometimes only one a day), and my son just started reading Beast Academy and we will do some of the practice from that. It seems like a lot but we really get through it all pretty quickly and they all seem to work well together.

I've been supplementing with Horizons. I don't try to keep them together in sequence. Horizons is good for the constant review, Singapore is good for the mental math and word problems. We're chugging through Horizons 2 and Singapore 2 right now. There are some topics (like reading a clock) that Singapore only touches on briefly that need more practice in my opinion.

Beth

I use very few supplements on top on SM. Right now we are using 5A textbook, workbook, and tests. I have a Flashmaster, a mental math review book, and an IXL account for her. So far the only supplements we have used this year have been the mental math book and the Flashmaster but sparingly. Last year I supplemented SM a lot more. This year is just different for some reason.

We use Textbook, Workbook, Intensive Practice, Challenging Word Problems then add Miquon too. I love the combination. I have Math Mammoth on hand if we need extra practice on something.

We do this. Intensive Practice has been really great for ds6. I think that SM isn't complete without CWP. Miquon is just great! Oh, I don't use MM, but add LOF and Horizons 1 instead.

DD & I both like Singapore a lot. We also did some of Rightstart. Using the abacus helped a lot for addition, making 10. We play Go to the Dump a lot, initially with the abacus and gradually DD memorized the facts. I just started Miquon with a younger sibling and plan to use that with DD going forward for multiplication and fractions.