Menu

Advice from Memoria Press users, please?

sunnylady303

My older daughter will be 9 in November. Were she in public school, she would be in 3rd grade. I made the decision to do the 2nd grade MP curriculum package with her this year. She is bright and inquisitive. She is working in MathUSee for math and is already halfway through Gamma.

I made the decision because her reading is weak. I did not give her a good phonics base in reading. Second grade reading is challenging for her. We are reading "The Courage of Sarah Noble" right now and she can read it but it does not come naturally. We are reading aloud alternating paragraphs because she seems to get overwhelmed easily. She is doing well although it is sometimes her tendency to rush ahead and mess up words that she doesn't take time to look at.

She loves audiobooks and listens to books far above her age level with absorption. I think I made a wise decision; I have seen growth in her reading already (we are only on week 5 of our school year and are loving MP, by the way). I had some reservations because I knew she was ready and would love Astronomy, Geography, and Greek Myths. But I decided we would do 2nd grade and just focus on the basics. She is missing doing more though, I think.

So I am considering purchasing Astronomy, States & Capitals, Greek Myths, and Christian Studies I to add in to their 2nd grade stuff with the hope that I can do 4th grade with her next year. Or, if her reading isn't advanced enough, do 3rd grade reading next year and use the 4th grade other stuff.

I am wondering if this is a good idea. Really just looking for advice. If it will be too much for her, how to fit it in - especially from those who have done or are doing MP 3rd. I just need some clarity on this and my head is spinning with it. We are on week 5 and it is going well. Any advice?

If you think she can handle it, then I say absolutely do it!! My Ds is in 4th grade and we are using the 3rd grade package or at least most of it. If you're worried about fitting it in we only do the a lesson in each of those subjects once a week. The rest of the week will be spent reviewing what you learned.

I agree, keep her reading (and other skill subjects) at the appropriate level, but do get her the States & Capitals, Astronomy, Greek Myths, and Christian Studies...like the above poster said, they are all once weekly studies, so it will not add an overly large amount of time to your daily schedule. You may have to read each one to her (I only make my 3rd grader work on reading the lit chapter aloud...we actually switch off pages, I read two and she reads one...I read the Bible/Greek Myths/50 States selections aloud to her each week), but they will provide some content and depth at an appropriate level for her.

I agree, keep her reading (and other skill subjects) at the appropriate level, but do get her the States & Capitals, Astronomy, Greek Myths, and Christian Studies...like the above poster said, they are all once weekly studies, so it will not add an overly large amount of time to your daily schedule. You may have to read each one to her (I only make my 3rd grader work on reading the lit chapter aloud...we actually switch off pages, I read two and she reads one...I read the Bible/Greek Myths/50 States selections aloud to her each week), but they will provide some content and depth at an appropriate level for her.

:iagree:

My third graders are enjoying the astronomy unit; and I'm probably enjoying it more than they are. I never learned much about the constellations beyond the names, though. So I strongly recommend that you pick up a book with some star charts in it to help you.

We do Astronomy twice a week and have star lab twice a week at night. Hot chocolate and marshmallows make it special.

I also have the Christian Studies that I'm beginning to work in to our week. There is an awful lot of writing involved, so I'm likely to break up the written work over two days. We do the reading as read aloud work.

And I'm also thinking about States and Capitals, so if anyone already has that, I'd like to know how they like it.