Menu

Need help findig the right history curriculum

pbajgrow

It seems that God may be leading us to hs again. When we home schooled in the past, I always got stuck with a history curriculum that either didn't fit my kids' needs or didn't fit mine. I've tried SOTW several times. My kids just stare at me like a deer in the headlights and quite frankly remember very little of what I read to them. They do fine with me reading books to them, but they had little to no interest in listening to a history lesson.

We've tried My Father's World. It had the same effect as SOTW. I'm looking for something that is chronological. I want tests and work sheets. I know some people don't think that they are necessary, but they are in our house. I've looked at Mystery of History, but there seems to be a lot of me reading with them again. I guess in my perfect world I would like something that is laid out like Abeka or Bob Jones, but taught chronologically. I've also looked at History Odyssey, but it doesn't look like it has any testing.

I am all :bigear:! Thanks, Jen

I feel your pain. I am DEEP in history picking right now, and am just doing a literature based American History approach ($1.00) while I try to figure out what to use for a regular 4 year cycle.

Have you seen this and this, by EPS. The sentences are shorter than the books you mentioned, and the vocabulary support is far better. I know what you mean by the deer in headlights. Sigh!

Elemental History is a $15.00 download, that is another American history first option to use while taking more time to choose a 4 year cycle. I started with this, before getting the Dear America guide for $1.00. It was designed to be used before a 4 year cycle. The sentences in the prepared material are just as long as SOTW, but I was able to make up for that, by reading it myself, and using library books for the student. Or slightly rewriting the text.

Edited by Hunter

Perhaps Veritas Press would work for your family. There's a memory song or two, beautiful history cards with art work or photographs on the front and a summary of the week's studies on the back. The same side of the card lists resources down to the page to look things up. The week starts with going over the card for the week and then doing a worksheet. On Friday there's a test. Between you look up resources, read books (there will be a read aloud novel covering several weeks also scheduled), and do other activities. There is also a clear teacher's guide. It is a five year course at the elementary level (sold in the catalog as for grades 2-6). I'll link to samples from years 1,3, & 5 unfortunately you can't see the cards but it shows the worksheets, tests, and some activities

http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=jZ5i39-xxpMC#v=onepage&q&f=false year 1

http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=7Bv3fEkMCasC#v=onepage&q&f=false year 3

http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=E1pvrKAcwzIC#v=onepage&q&f=false year 5

Not sure how old your kids are but Biblioplan might be an option. It has the "Companion" which is like a chronological textbook. I read to my kids but older ones cuold certainly read it themselves. It can be used for all ages and you just read certain parts for each age groups. They also have maps and cool histories which are worksheets (the ones for middles and advanced, the ones for littles are just oral). They also have craft and coloring books if you want. We just started using it this year and love it. It was also just redone this year and I think it is great! (all but year 3 is redone, year 3 will be redone this year).

Thank you for the suggestions. I had looked at Biblioplan in the past. It just didn't appeal to me for the same reasons as SOTW and others. Thank you Hunter. It's soooooooo nice to know I'm not alone in my frustrations. I will check out your suggestions. I love your quotes. They sum up my new take on hsing. I believe in TWTM suggestions and curriculum, but they don't always fit with my ability to teach combined with my kiddos' ability to learn. If they aren't learning, then I'm wasting time and energy as are they. I'm learning the art of saying, "it's ok that that amazing, highly recommended curriculum doesn't work for us. "SIGH"!!!!

I am definitely looking at Veritas Press. I had looked at them right before posting, but hadn't seen the detail that averyhappymama had posted links to. A BIG THANK YOU for that! It just may be what I need.