Menu

Books designed for couples on relationships

DH and I are wanting to recapture some of the more wonderful moments we've shared. We've gotten so bogged down in everyday life that we sort of got out of touch with each other. Well, it's really more me than him. I remember seeing a book that was meant to be read together by couples to help renew a marriage. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Please nothing religious, which would probably make this thread longer because I'm sure there are lots of good books on this subject. DH isn't religious, not even remotely so anything spiritual or faith focused will keep him from the task at hand which is a way to find ourselves again.

We're still in love and committed but I don't feel like we are ONE anymore. There is a disconnect somewhere and I want to hunt it down and repair it.

Thanks

If you're up for something lighthearted and a bit different, you could try one of Laura Corn's books. We have 101 Nights of Grrreat Romance. Some of her suggestions are a bit silly or not suitable for everyone, but we've found it a good way to get basic ideas and modify them to fit us.

These are the best marriage books I've read and both have step through instructions of things to do together. The first is less "intense" than the second. The compliment each other well I feel. I don't believe either are overtly religious. Either would help with that connection and your library may carry them to see if they would fit well.

The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work by Gottman

Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix

Edited by sbgrace

I dont know if its religious....but last night at my MOMSnext meeting they recommended the book: Love and War by John Eldredge. Its on Amazon cheap. Im personally going to try it.

I did try Fireproof but it didnt quite worked how I hoped it would.

Love and War is very much a Christian based book on marriage. So is Fireproof. I have done a group counseling course for couples with Love & War and enjoyed it very much, but op is asking for books without religious affiliation.

Sorry, but in that case, don't have any suggestions.

These are the best marriage books I've read and both have step through instructions of things to do together. The first is less "intense" than the second. The compliment each other well I feel. I don't believe either are overtly religious. Either would help with that connection and your library may carry them to see if they would fit well.

The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work by Gottman

Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix

Given the OP's needs, I agree with this completely.

There are some practical things you can do, too, OP if you want suggestions in addition to a book.

• 2 weeks later...