Menu

Schwans delivery!

Anyone else get Schwans and what your favorite and least favorite thing to get??

I LOVE Schwans. I love that there are a variety of payment options for one- Foodstamps, Debit/credit, cash, etc. That makes it SO much easier.

As for my fav? The old Strawberry Daq. drink they use to have was good. :drool: and I love their pizzas.

Least fav? The soups.

ETA: For those that dont know...Schwans.com will delivery food to your house every 2wks or monthly and they have a variety of foods. They are known for their ice cream though.

My sister lives 16 miles from a town of 600 people with a tiny grocery store. She lives 75 miles from a decent sized grocery store. She loves her Schwan's delivery. :D

She mostly buys during calving season when they are out of the house for 12-18 hours/day.

I know some of the things they like:

mini pizzas (cheese)

mac and cheese

pancake/sausage dogs? (like a corn dog I think), or maybe they're mini

cookie ice cream sandwiches

The people down the road used to get a weekly delivery and I stopped the guy a few times and bought a few things, but I just couldn't keep doing it... that stuff is some of the most unhealthiest stuff I have ever seen. Even the frozen vegetables were covered in trans-fat laden sauces. I'm pretty sure I read every chemical and preservative known to man on the food labels for the few things I bought.

This was 2 or 3 years ago, not sure if they have changed any of that. I can get organic and local, fresh (healthier) food cheaper, from places like farmers market and Whole Foods, than the Schwan's truck.

That said, I did love those mint chocolate chip ice cream cones.....

We love them. I use them for basic freezer stocking (mixed veggies, fruit for smoothies, chicken breast, and of course, ice cream). Their chicken breast are rather large, and I can cut up one to put in a casserole for us and it's enough. We like their breaded hake filets, also. My new fave is their pre-made pizza crust. It is so yummy and you use it frozen, just throw sauce and toppings on and it's good to go. We also like their southern style biscuits, another easy, cook from frozen thing.

I have found that my DH does not like any of their fries, for some reason. And I don't buy their meals already made...it's just not a cost effective dinner for us. V

It is so funny that I see this thread here and I got my first order in years on Thursday night. We used to get Schwan delivery quite often when I was a kid and when I was first married, but the Schwan man stopped coming by.

I was thinking about my all time favorite ice cream, Rocky Road, and decided to look them up online and I placed an order. My order was just over $100. :001_huh:

I did get $10 off of that though. I tried some new stuff, so I'll have to let you know what I think. My family already has a list for next time. Of course, I did get some Rocky Road, which was heavenly and some malt chocolate pushups. They've had both of those forever. I believe someone mentioned the pushups, they are good. My kids really liked them. I just wish the Rocky Road still came in the bigger size. I guess I'll have to hide it from dh. :D

The hardest part about Schwans delivery is getting it to stop. We had delivery for years- we liked our delivery man, and every time we'd get a delivery I would shake my head at the expense, but we just couldn't tell him not to come back.

Then our local routes changed and we ended up with a new guy we didn't have a years-long relationship with. I had no problems telling him not to come back. Finally.

That being said, their ice creams and novelties are top notch. I liked their plain frozen veggies- it was nice to always have these big bags of veggies in the freezer that were resealable. We tried some of the entrees from time to time, but they always tasted processed to me. The chicken patties and frozen chicken breasts were good, and I really, really liked the bagel dogs.

My grandma always had Schwan's drumsticks (ice cream cones with chocolate and other stuff on/in them) in her freezer when we (her grandkids) were little. I swear, that woman seemed to have a neverending supply!

When I was working (and had a much younger and less sensitive stomach) they would deliver to my office. I'd order the breakfast stuff to keep in the freezer there. I couldn't have it at home because it would be gone in a matter of hours (:glare:) but it was nice to have some breakfasts on reserve at work in case I didn't have time to eat at home.

Unfortunately, Schwans no longer delivers in my area. When they did, I loved their microsteam broccoli, the breaded blue hake, the tillapia, the oven baked chicken breasts, garlic and herb shrimp, peanut butter cup ice cream miniatures, the southwest style lime chicken, and the roasted baby bakers.

The people down the road used to get a weekly delivery and I stopped the guy a few times and bought a few things, but I just couldn't keep doing it... that stuff is some of the most unhealthiest stuff I have ever seen. Even the frozen vegetables were covered in trans-fat laden sauces. I'm pretty sure I read every chemical and preservative known to man on the food labels for the few things I bought.

This was 2 or 3 years ago, not sure if they have changed any of that. I can get organic and local, fresh (healthier) food cheaper, from places like farmers market and Whole Foods, than the Schwan's truck.

That said, I did love those mint chocolate chip ice cream cones.....

The bolded is the reason why we don't bother with Schwan's. We're kind of spoiled for the food we grow/raise ourselves anyway.

That said... whenever we go to Pepère's house, no one ever says 'no' to those little cups of Schwan's ice cream. :D

We got it for awhile and loved the guy doing our route. Got a new guy and didn't care for him much but kept buying. Then we had some major financial problems. Just getting the bills paid and some food was a struggle so I couldn't buy from Schwans. I explained to the man we couldn't buy. He said ok but continued to stop anyway. Each time I would apologize and say our situation hadn't changed. Well he kept getting more an more hateful. The last time he told me real hateful he was going to stop coming if I wasn't going to order. I said "that would be great"

Schwans takes food stamps?! :huh:

Yep! The main reason i started getting them in the first place!

"Payment Options

Items can be paid for online or at the door. For your convenience, we accept Schwan'sPay™, cash, checks, major credit cards and electronic food stamps (EBT)."

http://www.schwans.com/aboutUs/ordering.aspx

The hardest part about Schwans delivery is getting it to stop. We had delivery for years- we liked our delivery man, and every time we'd get a delivery I would shake my head at the expense, but we just couldn't tell him not to come back.

Then our local routes changed and we ended up with a new guy we didn't have a years-long relationship with. I had no problems telling him not to come back. Finally.

That being said, their ice creams and novelties are top notch. I liked their plain frozen veggies- it was nice to always have these big bags of veggies in the freezer that were resealable. We tried some of the entrees from time to time, but they always tasted processed to me. The chicken patties and frozen chicken breasts were good, and I really, really liked the bagel dogs.

I had the issue of suddenly they didnt have my address on their route anymore, but if i told them i was interested or didnt have the money they didnt stop by but told me to call when i could order.