Menu

Share with me your weekly MUS Alpha schedule

journey00

One of the best pieces of advice I received when I began homeschooling 1.5 yr ago was to make sure the curriculum ALSO fit the teacher (me). ;)

We own MUS Alpha & I think my 8yr old will do very well with it because he's very visual but the student text confuses ME. I know some of you are thinking "how is that possible?"

Well, we watch the video together. Then does he do ALL 4 practice pages and all 4 systemic reviews?

We homeschool Mon-Thurs so should he do:

Mon: Watch video; Lesson practice A

Tues: Lesson practice B, Lesson practice C

Wed: Systemic review D, Systemic review E

Thurs: Systemic review F, Test

For my sake, and my sanity..I need a scheduled lesson plan & to keep as close to it as possible, I also work full-time from my home.

Can someone share with me how exactly they do their MUS student text with their child? Thank you very much. :)

We've been using MUS from the start. Dd & I will watch the video, then she does A & D. The next day she'll do B & E. C & F are done the next day, and the day after that she takes the test. If it's really clicking, I won't have her do all of the pages, but it's her weak spot, so she usually does them all. In the first year I figured out that she really needed the "new" page and the review page each day.

We've been using MUS from the start. Dd & I will watch the video, then she does A & D. The next day she'll do B & E. C & F are done the next day, and the day after that she takes the test. If it's really clicking, I won't have her do all of the pages, but it's her weak spot, so she usually does them all. In the first year I figured out that she really needed the "new" page and the review page each day.

Oh that's a good idea to schedule the pages like that.

What I do is plan weekly. I have a system where every week, I put the pages in their correlating folder. I plan on two pages a day. I don't get too hung up on making sure A & B are done on Monday, C & D Tuesday, E & F Wednesday, X & test on Thursday. Everyday I just set the timer for 20 minutes. He can usually get the two pages done. But if it's a hard concept or he's having an off day, I just don't worry about forcing him to sit there until he's done. If he gets done before the timer goes off, he can play with the blocks or draw.

If he doesn't get done, the unfinished work gets put in the next days folder and he'll start there. Then on the weekend, I just plan the next week's work based on where we finished up.

On the days with the new lesson, we'll watch the video together. If Mr. Demme asks the kids in his room to build something with the blocks, I'll pause until Pigby has built it. I ask if he has any questions. Sometimes you need to read the teacher's manual. The DVD isn't meant to be seen by the kids. It's ok if they do watch it, but it's meant to be seen by the parents and then the parent is supposed to teach the child without it. So if there's something that doesn't make sense, make sure you check the book.

One of the best pieces of advice I received when I began homeschooling 1.5 yr ago was to make sure the curriculum ALSO fit the teacher (me). ;)

We own MUS Alpha & I think my 8yr old will do very well with it because he's very visual but the student text confuses ME. I know some of you are thinking "how is that possible?"

Well, we watch the video together. Then does he do ALL 4 practice pages and all 4 systemic reviews?

We homeschool Mon-Thurs so should he do:

Mon: Watch video; Lesson practice A

Tues: Lesson practice B, Lesson practice C

Wed: Systemic review D, Systemic review E

Thurs: Systemic review F, Test

For my sake, and my sanity..I need a scheduled lesson plan & to keep as close to it as possible, I also work full-time from my home.

Can someone share with me how exactly they do their MUS student text with their child? Thank you very much. :)

Regarding the bolded, no you don't need to have him do all the sheets. If he's really grasped the concept you can have him skip some and move on. If he's having a hard time understanding it, you can print off more practice pages and spend more time with the blocks and take longer. That's why I only plan a week at a time; it's too hard to know what will go fast and what will go slow.

Ds typically does 2 pages a day - except when he was in gamma, then he did 1 page a day when he was doing the multiple digit multiplying as those problems took him quite a while.

He has to do at least 2 review pages out of each lesson but beyond that he just needs to show me that he knows it before he moves on. Sometimes he does all the lessons, plus more worksheets that I create, and other times he only does 1 side of a sheet plus the review pages before moving on.