Menu

I'm trying to decide what to do with my ds9, who is having concentration problems.

He was dx as having PDD-NOS when he was 4 years old. He's 9.5 years old currently.

He's really having trouble concentrating. It takes him two hours to complete his math (which I held him back a grade in, so the math isn't too hard). He's always sidetracked. I have to repeat instructions to him multiple times b/c he's just not tuned in.

He's a sweet, intelligant boy, things are just getting harder with him being able to FOCUS.

He is currently seeing an ENT and is supposed to be getting his hearing checked soon. Ds says it feels like he needs a hearing aide.

I have to cut this short. My toddler is melting down, needing to go to bed. I will check back tomorrow and add more...

Edited the following evening: I am back, but I don't remember what else I wanted to say last night...errr! I do know that when I questioned him about not being able to concentrate, he couldn't tell me what's going on (or in other words, how he's feeling in his head). I asked, "Does it feel like there's "stuff" in your head?" He said, "Kind of...it's hard to explain."

I hate having these kinds of issues and not really being sure of what is going on, you know? This is the kid I always have these kinds of things come up with though ;)!

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I will be checking in later...

Edited by mama2cntrykids

It is good you are checking his hearing. I think it is good to check out/eliminate/correct any physical problems.

There is a handwriting person who says that some kids that do handwriting exercising will calm on side of their brains and allow them to concentrate better. I don't know if this works.

http://www.retrainthebrain.com/penmanship.html

My ds was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I can't decide, now that he's 12.5 years, if it's a real diagnosis or if he's just quirky :001_smile:. I do find caffeine helps him, but he tested negative on ADHD.

In any event, we have lots of concentration/focus issues. There is NO way he could do math for 2 hours. IMHO, that's the beauty of homeschooling a kid like him. There are days, that due to his "issues" we're just going to have to scrap the math lesson after 20 minutes. He's just not there. On the days that he is able to concentrate, he gets everything at whip speed. We have to go over and over and over and over things, but eventually he gets them...in his own way, and often not in a way *I* understand ;).

I do remember, at your son's age, it was REALLY difficult. I believe it was the same age that his hearing was checked, for a second time, and checked out fine. The first time it was checked, at age 3.5, the audiologist was astounded that he "checked out on the test and started playing his own game" :rolleyes:.

Hang in there. I honestly believe short lessons (ala Charlotte Mason) are key.

• 1 month later...

I did just have his hearing tested and it's in the normal range. He started doing ok with the concentration soon after I originally posted this, now he's struggling again.

I feel SO BADLY for him, but am struggling with health issues myself. Maybe I need to take the first step and get him re-evaluated. When I first got his PDD-NOS eval when he was four, they told me to bring him back in a few years to be evaluated again. Maybe now is the time.

They'll probably have a waiting list, so what do I do in the meantime? How do I help the poor boy. I'm feeling helpless and so I end up getting frustrated (not fair to him...I know!!).

I did just have his hearing tested and it's in the normal range. He started doing ok with the concentration soon after I originally posted this, now he's struggling again.

I feel SO BADLY for him, but am struggling with health issues myself. Maybe I need to take the first step and get him re-evaluated. When I first got his PDD-NOS eval when he was four, they told me to bring him back in a few years to be evaluated again. Maybe now is the time.

They'll probably have a waiting list, so what do I do in the meantime? How do I help the poor boy. I'm feeling helpless and so I end up getting frustrated (not fair to him...I know!!).

If he specifically complained about hearing, I would consider looking into an auditory processing evaluation, or at least a screening. If he has auditory processing issues, his actual hearing will be normal but he still won't be able to "hear" normally. KWIM? Hearing in noise is a particularly common problem. You may want to try to pay attention to whether he has a more difficult time understanding what you are saying when there are other, even low level, sounds going on at the same time.

I would call about the evaluation you're considering. It's better to get on the list now if there's a wait.

I have one with whose concentration problems ebb and flow. When she's having a tough time keeping focused, I scribe for her, especially with math. It really helps reduce frustration and move things along in a timely manner.

If you notice he's having a tough time concentrating, try increasing protein and see if that helps.

:grouphug:

Is it mostly math? DS does much better when he's not focused if I put the problems one at a time on a small white board and he does them that way. I don't know if that will help or not.

Yes, it's mostly math, but he has other problems with understanding what he's hearing or what someone is reading (or what HE'S reading). The reading comprehension is a problem ONLY when it's something he has no interest in.

If he specifically complained about hearing, I would consider looking into an auditory processing evaluation, or at least a screening. If he has auditory processing issues, his actual hearing will be normal but he still won't be able to "hear" normally. KWIM? Hearing in noise is a particularly common problem. You may want to try to pay attention to whether he has a more difficult time understanding what you are saying when there are other, even low level, sounds going on at the same time.

I would call about the evaluation you're considering. It's better to get on the list now if there's a wait.

I have one with whose concentration problems ebb and flow. When she's having a tough time keeping focused, I scribe for her, especially with math. It really helps reduce frustration and move things along in a timely manner.

If you notice he's having a tough time concentrating, try increasing protein and see if that helps.

:grouphug:

Yeah, I've heard that protein might help. I've also had the APD suggested to me. I just need to get on the ball NOW;). Like I said, I'm also trying to deal with my health problems and juggle his many issues as well. It's a challenge to say the least.

Check out Dr. Sears' NDD Book

Thank you. I will look into that!

I would have him reevaluated. I would also sit next to him and do math with him, if you are not doing that already. Break it into very small chunks throughout the day. Stop when you feel his mind is wandering and come back to it later.

I hadn't thought about breaking it up. Thanks. I was just upstairs, trying to help him through it and it made more problems.

He's behind in math, so I'm trying to do two lessons per day WITH crossing out the stuff that he already has a firm grasp on. We're using CLE and he's almost done with 306.

Have you tried removing artificial dyes? It made a huge difference in attention with my youngest.

We also found out he has a magnesium deficiency (which can look like add). Spinach is an excellent source and so we added a green smoothie daily. Truly, since doing those two things he's done soooo much better with focus.