Menu

Tell me what to add to my month of new recipes

I'm committing to trying new meals every day for a month. We're tired of my 3 week rotation that's been going on for years and the next 5 weeks looks boring. Your same old is probably not mine, so please tell me your favorite meal or main dish/side dish and if you have a link that would be great otherwise I'll google the recipe.

I'll post the plan when I pull it all together (unless everyone ignores my thread in which case my uncreative self will give up.)

We've been on a Mexican kick since my s-i-l taught me to make chimichangas.

Cook chicken in pan with 1-2 garlic cloves and small amt oil to keep from sticking.

shred or use food processor.

Take medium size tortillas and spread with refried beans; add chicken. I like the chimichangas full.

Fold two sides in on top of each other followed by top and bottom. Secure with toothpicks.

Fry in oil until golden.

Top with homemade guacamole:

Split avacado, remove innards, salt, smash, enjoy! Replace pit into bowl of guac; it keep it from turning brown and yucky.

We also make homemade pico.

Finally, white american cheese queso (1 slice per person plus one extra) with milk, 1tsp butter, and a splash of milk. Add sour cream just before serving, yet long enough to heat through.

Yum-o!

Smiles,

Teresa

I second http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

She has some great recipes!

Edited by tvaleri

Thanks, Teresa, that's just the kind of thing I need.

I have a lot of recipe sites saved, but I want to try tried and true favorites even if I end up at allrecipe or the like eventually to find the exact ingredients.

I guess I'm missing that neighborly recipe sharing that happened when I was young.

One of our favourites is Chicken Quesadilla.

Fry some chicken breasts in a bit of oil, slice them and set aside. I usually sprinkle the chicken with adobe seasoning. I love the flavour.

Fry some sliced onions, peppers and mushrooms in butter and set aside.

I put a tiny bit of butter in a clean frying pan, let it melt, add a soft tortilla shell and sprinkle some grated cheese onto it.

Place chicken and veggies on the cheese, more cheese and another soft tortilla shell.

Cook for 2-3 minutes/side on medium low heat. I use my pizza cutter to cut the quesadilla into wedges.

Serve with a side of sour cream, shredded lettuce, quacamole, salsa, black beans, etc...

Yummy!

Here are some of my favorites

Stuffed Flank Steak

http://aspicyperspective.com/2012/01/stuffed-flank-steak.html

OMG Chicken

http://theenchantedcook.blogspot.com/2011/10/parmesan-crusted-chicken-hellmanns-mayo.html

Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta

http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2008/10/fast-food-creamy-shrimp-and-mushroom-pasta/

Slow-Cooker Jambalaya--I'm going to try this one this weekend

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-slow-cooker-jambalaya-10000001875863/

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Lettuce-Wraps#.UEDAcYYlMKM.pinterest

Other stand-bys:

Fried chicken (legs or chicken strips)

Tacos or tostadas

Meatloaf

Spaghetti

Soups

Wraps/Sandwiches(Reuben, Cuban, Po-Boy, Club, Chicken Salad)

Chef Salad

Taco Salad

Homemade Pizza

Bacon and Eggs--any breakfast foods

Red Beans and Rice

Sausage links w/Red Peppers and rice

Hamburgers

These are our favorites

Herb crusted pork tenderloin - I make roasted garlic green beans and mashed sweet potatoes with this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/herb-crusted-pork-tenderloin-recipe/index.html

Broiled salmon with herbed mustard glaze - perfect with a little steamed broccoli.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/broiled-salmon-with-herb-mustard-glaze-recipe/index.html

Penzeys brat, beer and cheese soup - we like to pair this with sliced apples and salad or pretzels.

http://www.food.com/recipe/brat-beer-and-cheese-soup-37685

Shrimp with Chile-Cilantro Rub - We just use regular skewers and grill with onions and peppers tossed in olive oil and pineapple.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michelle-bernstein/sugarcane-skewered-shrimp-with-chile-cilantro-rub-recipe/index.html

These are a bunch of our favorite protein salads. :001_smile:

Apple- Herb mix, apples, celery, cheddar, pecans or walnuts, chicken with red apple vinaigrette

Asian- Leaf lettuce with peppers, snap peas, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts, cashews, sesame chicken w peanut dressing and crispy noodles

Asian Orange- Leaf lettuce with mandarin oranges, onions, snap peas, cashews, sesame chicken w peanut dressing and crispy noodles

Italian Caesar- Caesar salad w tomatoes, cukes, onion, chicken and croutons

Italian Pesto- Romaine, tomatoes, peppers, olives, mozzarella, basil, pine nuts, chicken or shrimp, balsamic vinaigrette, croutons

Pomegranate- Spring mix, pomegranate, celery, kiwi, alfalfa sprouts, grapefruit, pistachios, chicken, lemon vinaigrette.

Prickly pear- Spring mix with peppers, onions, corn, chicken, tortillas and prickly pear preserves with EVOO

Ranch- Spinach, tomato, peppers, cucumber, carrots, snap peas, celery, cheddar, chicken, croutons and ranch

Strawberry Spinach- Spinach, strawberries, pistachios w 2 ½ T Splenda, 1 T sesame seeds, ½ T poppy seeds, 1 T minced onion, ¼ t worcestshire sauce, ¼ t mustard, 2 T raspberry vinegar, 3 T olive oil

Taco- Leaf lettuce, tomato, corn, peppers, onions, avocado, chicken or black bean patty, tortilla chips, southwestern dressing, greek yogurt.

Tempura Shrimp – Herb mix, peppers, snap peas, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, scallions and tempura shrimp in a sesame oil, cilantro and soy vinaigrette

Tropical- Herb mix, peppers, onions, cucumber, avocado, island chicken, cashews, coconut vinaigrette w cilantro, onions and garlic

Veggie- Spring mix, tomato, cucumber, pepper, avocado, broccoli, artichokes, carrots, snap peas, chicken w honey mustard or vinaigrette

Wisconsin- Spring mix, tomato, cucumber, pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, cheddar, summer sausage, red wine vinaigrette w garlic and seasoned salt

Pasta with greens is a recent fave. Very simple. You'll have to play with the proportions. I usually feed 3 on half a pound of pasta and about 3-4 cups of greens.

Spaghetti or linguini

A mix of salad greens (either from the garden or one of those bags of mixes, or failing that just baby spinach and a chopped head of romaine will do)

A few cloves of garlic

A big fistful of parmesan cheese

A few tablespoons of olive oil

Red chili flakes

Salt and pepper

Saute the garlic and chili flakes in the oil. Throw in the greens and right away throw the hot, cook drained pasta on top. Start tossing it like you would a salad to get everything coated with the oil and the greens wilted. Serve with the parmesan on top.

I will serve this with some grilled or broiled Italian sausage or seasoned grilled or broiled chicken breasts. Or, it would be a nice meatless meal, too.

I love to cook Asian food, so some of my go-to recipes are:

Chinese Broccoli Beef

Korean Beef Rice Bowl

Chicken Noodles

Ginger and Scallion Beef

Those two websites are my favorite recipe websites.

I also like to make Nigerian Suya. Mmm.

This is our favorite chili recipe, except we skip the rice and eat it with cornbread on the side.

I've also recently learned that roasting is an excellent way to cook broccoli or green beans. I toss either one with olive oil and a bunch of garlic cloves, sliced. Spread on a cookie sheet (I put foil on the sheet). Roast for 20 min. at 400 (green beans may take a little longer). If you want, you can sprinkle with parmesan cheese when you take them out of the oven. Mmmmm.

Wendi

I've been playing with recipes from Nigella's site. These are ones that I would definitely make again.

Chicken Bacon Mushroom Pie - I did this as one larger pie, instead of little ones.

Yellow Split Pea and Frankfurter Soup - my ds picked this one to try. It was very good.

Cheddar Cheese Risotto - my dh normally dislikes risottos, but he had seconds of this one. I served it with roasted pork tenderloin.

Chicken Schnitzel with Bacon and White Wine - It's got bacon. It's schnitzel. What's not to love?

Seared Salmon with Singapore Noodles - we don't eat fish, so I used chicken breasts instead and we all enjoyed it very much.

Steak Slice with Lemon and Thyme - this was unusual in that it marinates the meat AFTER cooking, instead of before. The flavours were wonderful. I would like to try this technique with other marinade combinations.

Linguini with Lemon, Garlic and Thyme Mushrooms - lovely as a side dish with chicken or probably fish, if you like fish. It is light and fresh in flavour. Very nice.

Edited by Audrey

These are a bunch of our favorite protein salads. :001_smile:

Apple- Herb mix, apples, celery, cheddar, pecans or walnuts, chicken with red apple vinaigrette

Asian- Leaf lettuce with peppers, snap peas, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts, cashews, sesame chicken w peanut dressing and crispy noodles

Asian Orange- Leaf lettuce with mandarin oranges, onions, snap peas, cashews, sesame chicken w peanut dressing and crispy noodles

Italian Caesar- Caesar salad w tomatoes, cukes, onion, chicken and croutons

Italian Pesto- Romaine, tomatoes, peppers, olives, mozzarella, basil, pine nuts, chicken or shrimp, balsamic vinaigrette, croutons

Pomegranate- Spring mix, pomegranate, celery, kiwi, alfalfa sprouts, grapefruit, pistachios, chicken, lemon vinaigrette.

Prickly pear- Spring mix with peppers, onions, corn, chicken, tortillas and prickly pear preserves with EVOO

Ranch- Spinach, tomato, peppers, cucumber, carrots, snap peas, celery, cheddar, chicken, croutons and ranch

Strawberry Spinach- Spinach, strawberries, pistachios w 2 ½ T Splenda, 1 T sesame seeds, ½ T poppy seeds, 1 T minced onion, ¼ t worcestshire sauce, ¼ t mustard, 2 T raspberry vinegar, 3 T olive oil

Taco- Leaf lettuce, tomato, corn, peppers, onions, avocado, chicken or black bean patty, tortilla chips, southwestern dressing, greek yogurt.

Tempura Shrimp – Herb mix, peppers, snap peas, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, scallions and tempura shrimp in a sesame oil, cilantro and soy vinaigrette

Tropical- Herb mix, peppers, onions, cucumber, avocado, island chicken, cashews, coconut vinaigrette w cilantro, onions and garlic

Veggie- Spring mix, tomato, cucumber, pepper, avocado, broccoli, artichokes, carrots, snap peas, chicken w honey mustard or vinaigrette

Wisconsin- Spring mix, tomato, cucumber, pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, cheddar, summer sausage, red wine vinaigrette w garlic and seasoned salt

WOW! Thank you for posting these! :party:

Pork roast - throw a 3-4 lb pork shoulder (that has been rubbed with salt, peppier, and herbs) in the crock pot wih a can of cheap beer and cook on high or 6 hours. At the 5 hour mark, thow in some chunks of potatoes and baby carrots.

Salsa chicken

Pasta salad. Allrecipes has a good article with guidelines on how to create your own. Next time I'm using cheese tortellini, salami, olives, and tomatoes.

Salmon chowder. I make it with diced potatoes, carrots, celery, and creamed corn.

Mulligatawny soup

chicken cooked in Trader Joe's curry or masala sauce.

If your family likes lamb, make your shepherd's pie with ground or minced lamb. I add rosemary to the grave and mash some feta into my potato crust.

If you like smoked salmon, add it, along with some capers, to your Alfredo sauce. It's amazing.

Also, if you like the flavor of cabbage rolls, but not the time it takes, find a recipe for the stovetop that mixes chopped cabbage and ground beef quickly for all of the flavor but none of the time or work.

I found links for a few recipes I make pretty frequently.

Corn & Cheese Chowder:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/10/corn-cheese-chowder/

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

Chicken with Olives:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/06/chicken-with-olives/

Chicken, Sun-dried tomatoes, cream sauce (for pasta):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-with-Sun-Dried-Tomato-Cream-Sauce-2612

Crock pot chili

2 cans of either mild chili beans or kidney beans, don't bother to drain

2 cans of petite diced tomatoes

1 cup beef broth

1/2-1# ground beef browned with onions

chili powder to taste

Mix together and cook on low for 4 hours. Not fancy but my kids love it and it is cheap and easy.

CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN

2-3 chicken breasts

1/2 cup water

1 packet of Italian dressing mix.

Put the chicken in the crock pot, sprinkle with dressing mix and add water. Cook on low for 4 hours until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and shred. Add 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese to the liquid in the crock pot and blend with hand blender or in regular blender (be careful as the juice is HOT). Mix with shredded chicken and serve on top of egg noodles.

Pork and beef are very expensive here so we have to do a lot of chicken. Here are our standbys:

Pasta primavera with chicken

Pepper chicken with rice*

kurma chicken*

Cheddar Bacon BBQ chicken

Chick fettucini Alfredo

Chicken tacos

Sweet and sour chicken

Chili rubbed chicken*

Cajun chicken pasta*

Beef and broccoli

chicken fried rice and eggs sambal*

BBQ chicken sandwich

Baked ziti

Buffalo chicken*

Karen chicken

White chicken chili*

Tuna noodle casserole

Chicken salad sandwiches

Chicken parmasan

The asterisks are spicy dishes. If any of these look interesting let me know and I will post the recipe. I am stealing some ideas myself!

ooh, i liked that paula pork loin . . . thanks, i was looking for something different.

our stand-bys are spaghetti, tacos, burgers, baked spicy chicken nuggets, a roasted chicken on diced baby potatoes, pan-grilled thin boneless pork chops and baked beans. dh just asked for salmon and potato pie - french canadian tradition. home made pizza once a month. of course we are dairy and gluten free, so our choices are somewhat limited