Menu

I'm not challenging my 1st grader

Bonkers247

Help! She's six and a half and has been in first grade for five weeks now. We're using Explode the Code(she's on book 2, lesson 46), FLL 1, CLE Math Grade 1(lesson 63), HWT Grade 1, NOEO Chemistry, and TOG Year 1. I feel like it's just busywork for the most part. History, science and handwriting are fine. FLL is moving slower than she really needs. She only has trouble in ETC when we get to the page where she has to spell the words and even then it's just one or two words with a double letter turned into a single. Math is so incredibly easy for her I'm not quite sure why we're doing it at all. Do I switch curriculums, grade level, speed up and rush through what we have until it is challenging for her, or??? Any ideas?

I'd drop ETC and switch to a spelling program. If she's reading well, she doesn't need the phonics. I would try to figure out where she is at in math and skip to that point or just have her do a couple of problems per lesson to check and make sure she knows it. You could skip review stuff in FLL.

So, my vote is drop ETC. Accelerate math. Skip around in FLL. Use the extra time from dropped FLL to allow her to read on her own.

I'd drop ETC and switch to a spelling program. If she's reading well, she doesn't need the phonics. I would try to figure out where she is at in math and skip to that point or just have her do a couple of problems per lesson to check and make sure she knows it. You could skip review stuff in FLL.

So, my vote is drop ETC. Accelerate math. Skip around in FLL. Use the extra time from dropped FLL to allow her to read on her own.

What spelling program would you recommend? I thought we should go over phonics some because she taught herself to read and I wanted to make sure she understood phonics. It seems like she does. School only takes 30 to 45 minutes for us to get through everything. I feel like we're not doing enough. I forgot to mention Mind Benders. We're working through that as well.

:iagree:

What spelling program would you recommend? I thought we should go over phonics some because she taught herself to read and I wanted to make sure she understood phonics. It seems like she does. School only takes 30 to 45 minutes for us to get through everything. I feel like we're not doing enough. I forgot to mention Mind Benders. We're working through that as well.

We use AAS which serves as phonics review and spelling. There are other phonics-based spelling methods: LOE, WRTR and it's spin-offs, etc

I know AAS. We use it for my fourth grader. What are LOE and WRTR?

LOE is Logic of English; that is what my first grader is using.

WRTR is Writing Road To Reading, which I also considered using.

I think either would challenge your first grader and give you a great mix of phonics while teaching spelling.

When you bought CLE did you buy all the LUs for first grade? Could you pull out 105 or 106 and see if that is a better fit for your first grader? We did not start at the beginning of the program. Also you could add in MEP which is a free math program that would add some puzzling type problems which your first grader may find interesting and challenging.

Sounds like my oldest in first grade. :)

We did FLL1 in 3 weeks, then moved on to level 2. It was better, but still too easy. We eventually switched to FLL3 the summer after finishing first grade. It was a better fit. First and second grade programs are so basic in general that many bright kids probably don't need them at all. Third grade level gets into diagramming and more advanced grammatical concepts. We finally discovered KISS Grammar, which is actually challenging, but I wouldn't recommend it for first grade.

I used AAS levels 1-3 and then finally settled on R&S Spelling. You might find the grade 2 book easy right now, but grade 3 gets into more phonics. We started it in second grade.

I also had to accelerate our math (we used Math Mammoth). You can accelerate CLE by doing multiple lessons per day, just using new parts and do one review from the last lesson you do. My friend has accelerated CLE that way. Then you can use tests to make sure you didn't skip anything major. I used tests in MM to prove to myself that skipping a chapter or book was ok.

Once we got past early elementary material, my son slowed down to a more reasonable pace (still not one level per year pace, but not 3-4 levels per year pace ;) ).

LOE is Logic of English; that is what my first grader is using.

WRTR is Writing Road To Reading, which I also considered using.

I think either would challenge your first grader and give you a great mix of phonics while teaching spelling.

When you bought CLE did you buy all the LUs for first grade? Could you pull out 105 or 106 and see if that is a better fit for your first grader? We did not start at the beginning of the program. Also you could add in MEP which is a free math program that would add some puzzling type problems which your first grader may find interesting and challenging.

Thanks! I'll look into those. AAS would drive her nuts. It's perfect for my fourth grader, though.

I do have all of the books for CLE. I'm afraid if we just skip whole books we'll miss something so I think I'm going to take the suggestion to do a few problems in each lesson to make sure she gets it. We will probably be in book 5 or 6 in no time.

Is MEP on the computer? I'm not sure what that is but I've been looking for some math games to reinforce concepts for all of them. Would that work for a 4th and 5th graders, too?

Sounds like my oldest in first grade. :)

We did FLL1 in 3 weeks, then moved on to level 2. It was better, but still too easy. We eventually switched to FLL3 the summer after finishing first grade. It was a better fit. First and second grade programs are so basic in general that many bright kids probably don't need them at all. Third grade level gets into diagramming and more advanced grammatical concepts. We finally discovered KISS Grammar, which is actually challenging, but I wouldn't recommend it for first grade.

I used AAS levels 1-3 and then finally settled on R&S Spelling. You might find the grade 2 book easy right now, but grade 3 gets into more phonics. We started it in second grade.

I also had to accelerate our math (we used Math Mammoth). You can accelerate CLE by doing multiple lessons per day, just using new parts and do one review from the last lesson you do. My friend has accelerated CLE that way. Then you can use tests to make sure you didn't skip anything major. I used tests in MM to prove to myself that skipping a chapter or book was ok.

Once we got past early elementary material, my son slowed down to a more reasonable pace (still not one level per year pace, but not 3-4 levels per year pace ;) ).

I guess I need to buy FLL 2 now. Your friend's plan for CLE seems like the best option for us. I asked her if she liked what we are doing in school. She said yes. I'm guessing it's because she doesn't have to work at it at all. I want to challenge her but not frustrate her.

I had a 1st grader like that last year.

I like Spelling Power because it does some phonics and has word lists up into high school level. You can test your child and begin at a challenging level, or review if you prefer to concentrate on phonics.

You could also add in writing. I had my 1st grader do Winning With Writing level 2. You could also have her do journaling (where she writes a few sentences on the bottom half of the page which is lined and draws a picture on the top half which is unlined).

I second the MEP idea for math supplement. You can get it for free online. You just need to print out the worksheets. Mathematics Enhancement Programme is the name (British I believe).

I also used Language Smarts level B to supplement grammar, spelling, and writing. That one is pricey but good quality.

You can also add in other things. Evan Moor Beginning Geography K-2 workbook is very good. Draw maps as directed in the geography chapter of The Core (Bortins). Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons are great. Homeschool buyers co-op may still have a deal on it.

Honestly if your 1st grader is accelerated, I wouldn't buy FLL2 either or it's just going to be a repeat of your frustrations with FLL1.

I find that I cover all the content of FLL1 and 2 just by having conversations with my kids about literature and rudimentary grammar. The formal curriculum doesn't add anything. I started with FLL3 with my 4th grader this year (she's dyslexic, so the dictation portion of it was just something she wasn't ready for last year), and looking at it, there's nothing we missed from FLL1 and 2.

I'll be doing FLL3 with my accelerated 2nd grader next year - 3rd grade. I toyed with doing it with her this year but mostly out of consideration for my 3rd grader not being constantly outshined by her little sister I'm just waiting. It's FLL3 & 4 that I consider an actual *grammar* curriculum and not just "Yeah, this is the stuff you learn because you are speaking English and talking about your language consciously with your kids." JMO.

I challenge my accelerated 2nd grader by letting her read, doing lots of extra creative writing outside the scope of a curriculum, practicing gymnastics and the cello, and learning to touch type. Some days her school work is done in 1 hr. So be it. I gave up trying to ramp up the curriculum to keep up - she's still 7 yrs old and - and at some point it becomes ludicrous. I find letting her be self-driven with her challenges works well for us.

I had a 1st grader like that last year.

I like Spelling Power because it does some phonics and has word lists up into high school level. You can test your child and begin at a challenging level, or review if you prefer to concentrate on phonics.

You could also add in writing. I had my 1st grader do Winning With Writing level 2. You could also have her do journaling (where she writes a few sentences on the bottom half of the page which is lined and draws a picture on the top half which is unlined).

I second the MEP idea for math supplement. You can get it for free online. You just need to print out the worksheets. Mathematics Enhancement Programme is the name (British I believe).

I also used Language Smarts level B to supplement grammar, spelling, and writing. That one is pricey but good quality.

You can also add in other things. Evan Moor Beginning Geography K-2 workbook is very good. Draw maps as directed in the geography chapter of The Core (Bortins). Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons are great. Homeschool buyers co-op may still have a deal on it.

Language Smarts looks good and adding in geography would be fun for her. Thanks for the suggestions!

Honestly if your 1st grader is accelerated, I wouldn't buy FLL2 either or it's just going to be a repeat of your frustrations with FLL1.

I find that I cover all the content of FLL1 and 2 just by having conversations with my kids about literature and rudimentary grammar. The formal curriculum doesn't add anything. I started with FLL3 with my 4th grader this year (she's dyslexic, so the dictation portion of it was just something she wasn't ready for last year), and looking at it, there's nothing we missed from FLL1 and 2.

I'll be doing FLL3 with my accelerated 2nd grader next year - 3rd grade. I toyed with doing it with her this year but mostly out of consideration for my 3rd grader not being constantly outshined by her little sister I'm just waiting. It's FLL3 & 4 that I consider an actual *grammar* curriculum and not just "Yeah, this is the stuff you learn because you are speaking English and talking about your language consciously with your kids." JMO.

I challenge my accelerated 2nd grader by letting her read, doing lots of extra creative writing outside the scope of a curriculum, practicing gymnastics and the cello, and learning to touch type. Some days her school work is done in 1 hr. So be it. I gave up trying to ramp up the curriculum to keep up - she's still 7 yrs old and - and at some point it becomes ludicrous. I find letting her be self-driven with her challenges works well for us.

I'll take a look at FLL2 and 3. I'm sure after I look at samples it will become clear what would be better. The older two have been doing a typing program and I have been toying with th idea of having her do it, too. I don't want to make too many changes at once, though, or she might get overwhelmed. She is taking dance, art, and a science experiments class at our local co-op. She is in piano lessons and goes to a homeschool open gym at a local gymnastics place. She is in the choir and handbell choir at our church and also participates in Word of Life there. She is still bored. This child likes her life planned out for her. She spends her downtime irritating her siblings instead of playing with the hundreds of toys in the house. She needs to be challenged.

School only takes 30 to 45 minutes for us to get through everything. I feel like we're not doing enough.

Let the basics be easy. Let them be short. Let her accelerate at her own pace, keeping in mind that she is still in the body of a 1st grader even when 1st grade work is easy for her.

Do more of....

Reading aloud to her

Listening to her read to you

Drawing

Music practice (piano!!!)

Sports

Baking

Nature Study

Oral Narrations ala Charlotte Mason

...and along the same lines...Story-telling (via puppets - or anything FUN!)

Math Games

Strategy Games

Climbing trees in the backyard

Learning to paint/sew/knit/wood-working/whatever hobbies a family member can pass along

etc

etc

etc

Give her rich and full days.