Menu

Need new Science curric...Noeo?

JFJ in IL

This is our first year homeschooling. I researched the endless options for curriculum from January through July and decided to go with Apologia Zoology 1 for science this year.

I haven't been able to liven up the lessons enough for the kids to enjoy it!

It is just too dry of a curriculum for us and we have finally stopped torturing ourselves :001_smile:

I searched through this forum in hopes of finding a better alternative and I came across something I had never heard of called Noeo Homeschool Science.

I am really liking what I see on the website for Noeo Homeschool Science but I would love to hear opinions and thoughts from the Hive!

Thanks

:bigear:

It is just too dry of a curriculum for us and we have finally stopped torturing ourselves :001_smile:

I understand this. When we did Astronomy, there were days that I had a tough time not falling asleep. (God's Design (old black & white version) was much worse, though.)

Don't count out Sassafras Science! (It's new.).

*I have no experience with NOEO, although I've been tempted by it more than once.*

Don't count out Sassafras Science! (It's new.).

That looks like a cute series but my kids are BEGGING for a hands on approach with science.

I might just buy Sassafras as a read aloud, though, at that great price!!!

I am an open and go kind of teacher (since it's my first year and I have lots to figure out) so Noeo just keeps looking better and better to me :)

Hmm...

We are doing NOEO Chem I (2nd grader). I like it but it is much too easy. Some days we will be assigned to read 3 pages and then notebook (or narrate) about it. I always combine 2 days and more if there are no experiments (she likes science so I try to do at least 2 experiments a week, even if it isn't related to NOEO). This week there were no assigned experiments (there is a book that comes with it and you are supposed to pick out 1 per week in addition to what is assigned) so we also did a Magic Schoolbus Kit I got off Amazon. I think we will get through the entire year by December. I do think it is well put together and she is learning a lot. It just isn't enough for her on it's own. She also goes to a science academy 1x week. I do not make her notebook each combined day, just one per actual school day.

When we finish we will likely just buy more Magic Schoolbus kits and other science kits and let her watch videos online/netflix & read books. Next school year I'll probably use NOEO physics, again accelerated. It costs a lot to do that but for my science-loving kid I am willing to spend it.

Well, I really need something that is fun AND structured.

I looked at Supercharged Science but it looks so random and super pricey!

I have looked at ES in the past and I don't feel like that program will be a good fit for us either.

Lapbooks wouldn't be the answer for us and Apologia...thank you for suggestion though!

So, I am going to take the chance and go with Noeo and hope it fills the gap for this year.

I will let the Hive know how we're doing in a couple of months :001_smile:

Well, I really need something that is fun AND structured.

I looked at Supercharged Science but it looks so random and super pricey!

I have looked at ES in the past and I don't feel like that program will be a good fit for us either.

Lapbooks wouldn't be the answer for us and Apologia...thank you for suggestion though!

So, I am going to take the chance and go with Noeo and hope it fills the gap for this year.

I will let the Hive know how we're doing in a couple of months :001_smile:

Yay! I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for your family. I am really leaning towards it for next year.

We used Noeo Chem I last year and are using Bio I this year. My boys love it. They really like all of the experiments last year. I was worried that this year would be boring since the Bio program isn't as experiment heavy, but it hasn't been. They have been enjoying the Small Square books (to the point at they will be getting several more for Christmas) and the Audubon bird coloring book is a hit for my coloring-phobic boys. I like that it is easy for ds6 to understand, but that ds8 can dive as deep as he wants. We will often add library books or research online to find out more info if needed.

We will be finishing Bio early as they beg me to do it more often then scheduled, so we'll start Physics I later this year. I may supplement with Physics II if I feel ds8 needs more challenging material.

My favorite aspect about Noeo science is that it gets done!

we own and used part of NOEO chem 1 last year and are wanting to finish it this year. The only reason we didn't finish is because I keep trying to do two science programs only to end up dropping them both lol

That being said, we love NOEO and I disagree that it is too easy as one poster said. Maybe this is true if you have a very science smart kid that is ahead in that area. My 4th grader still enjoys it and gets so much out of it. We just started school this year, but my plan is to finish NOEO chem 1 with my 2nd and 4th graders and move on to the next level or maybe even do bio 1. My older child grasps the concepts easily in this level, but it is stuff he didn't already know so he is really learning. Does that make sense?

I say if you can afford it, go for it. You can also get the TG used on here or other places and buy the experiment kit from the website and then use the library for the books.