Menu

One week (or one month or 23 days or whatever it is for you. . .)

after school started and. . .

* the living and dining room are trashed.

* we are getting into the swing of things.

* I have lots of grading to do for ds this weekend.

* dd is happy with her new school year - esp. math, of all things!

* ds is staying up with his workload with our new syllabus system.

How are things going for you?

4 weeks and...

*the downstairs is clean, but the upstairs is not- story of my life

*I waited too long to sign the kids up for homeschool PE. They were so disappointed, and I felt like the worst mom ever.

*I am seeing great strides in dd's narrations. She might even be ready for WWS in Jan. which I didn't think was possible.

* I am struggling to make sure little dd gets enough of my attention during school time.

*I am dealing with roller coaster hormones from dd10. Not fun.

*We have found a groove regarding our schedule!

*Ds cried through his first cursive lesson. He was so excited but hates it now (he's a perfectionist so it's either wonderful or terrible). I really want to wait until next year. Should I push him to do it? I'm not sure.

*Ds is flying though his work (except for cursive).

4...*We have found a groove regarding our schedule!

*Ds cried through his first cursive lesson. He was so excited but hates it now (he's a perfectionist so it's either wonderful or terrible). I really want to wait until next year. Should I push him to do it? I'm not sure.

*Ds is flying though his work (except for cursive).

I HEAR you on the cursive, except dd didn't cry and it wasn't her first lesson of cursive. She got very upset, threw a pencil, etc. She tends toward perfectionism too. I am setting cursive ASIDE for now, except for making sure she can sign her name. If I set it aside for a while, chances are she will want to pick it up again sometime. She has really nice printing so I'm glad for that.

However, dd did pick up the Mavis Beacon typing cd that was sitting in a box and is absolutely loving it.

I definitely think you can set aside cursive for a while. After all, many people do not teach it at all anymore. I hope my dd will learn fluent cursive (she knows some cursive), but I do not think I am going to insist on it.

(Everyone has to know their priorities. All I know is that I am under plenty of stress as it is and I am very happy with my decision to let cursive go for now.)

I HEAR you on the cursive, except dd didn't cry and it wasn't her first lesson of cursive. She got very upset, threw a pencil, etc. She tends toward perfectionism too. I am setting cursive ASIDE for now, except for making sure she can sign her name. If I set it aside for a while, chances are she will want to pick it up again sometime. She has really nice printing so I'm glad for that.

However, dd did pick up the Mavis Beacon typing cd that was sitting in a box and is absolutely loving it.

I definitely think you can set aside cursive for a while. After all, many people do not teach it at all anymore. I hope my dd will learn fluent cursive (she knows some cursive), but I do not think I am going to insist on it.

(Everyone has to know their priorities. All I know is that I am under plenty of stress as it is and I am very happy with my decision to let cursive go for now.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a dc that struggles with cursive! Ds is a lefty to top it all off. He could really use more work on his printing so I think I'll take your advice and wait on cursive. It was so easy with dd. I just gave her the sheet, she copied it, and magically had beautiful handwriting. I was blindsided with ds, lol. We have a typing cd. I'll have to see if he's interested. That's a good idea. :D

This is the end of week 4 for us.

- Our house cleaning/chore system is working well, so the house is pretty much clean (except for dd15's room - she decided to "organize" it :confused:).

- School is going well so far, no one is complaining terribly, and no one is behind.

- Everyone is working really hard and not dawdling, so that we can get out the door to activities every day.

- We are all anxiously waiting for new grandbaby/niece who will be here any day! We will take a week off at that point so that I am available to help my dil and son.

Just finished our 1st week and I'm almost freaking out because it went so smooth (all in the midst of potty training and preparing for a new baby in about 3 months)! Everyone has stayed on task, gotten all work (and most of the household chores) done every day and had time to spare! I'm almost scared to say this out loud for fear it will all change next week. Here's hoping, praying and staying positive that just maybe, we have finally gotten the hang of this homeschooling thing!LOL!!

All was going very well and we have been slowly adding more each day, until I started to get ready for the art gallery opening Dh asked me to attend for a fellow artist today. I have not reorganized the closets or changed over to fall clothing yet b/c it's hot here. So, I could not find any of my fall dress clothes for the opening tonight. (You would think I would have thought about it before today wouldn't you?:glare:)

Kids went along with their literature assignments, piano practice, chores and math while I tried to figure out what to do. I'm embarrassed to say I actually ran to the Kohls 15 minutes down the road and bought a dress to wear. I had a 30% off coupon and I thought it was faster than digging through trunks of clothing. Dc packed up their stuff to take to my great uncle's house where they were spending the afternoon and evening since the gallery is an hour away and Dh and I wanted to avoid traffic.

The opening went great though, and I received compliments on my dress. I'm not sure if I should feel like I pulled it off, or like I shortchanged my Dc. The TOG history discussion has been pushed into the weekend.:glare:

So far our year stinks!

I'm having a *really* hard time with the new baby (the 18month old). Just not meshing.

I got pneumonia the end of July and took over a month to get rid of it.

Monkey got very sick 10 days ago and just now getting relief (dr figured out the issue and gave us a fix...yay!). I've held her almost non-stop this entire time.

I'm freaking out about finances after losing a huge chunk of montly money.

We are drowning in clean laundry (6yo got hers put up and 17yo got the men's put up...the rest....).

I have a killer toothache the last two days and really need to make it til Sept 29th.

I have a little Eeyore who *really* makes it hard for me to stay pleasant. He is *so* much smarter than what he will actually DO.

I'm so worried school is never gonna get done the way I want it to (we are doing a little each day).

We have finished three weeks...although today was a sick day and DS only did math. He tried to do more, but he could not focus and was cranky, so I sent him back to bed and he woke up with a fever :( feeling great now though!

We have the kitchen and laundry under control. We have hampers in the bathroom and all bedrooms and the kids (and mom and dad ;)) are using them! The kitchen is clean every night for the most part (thanks to dh!).

I have decluttered one large cabinet in the kitchen, one bookshelf and the tv area. The living room is clean...except for DH's seed packets all over the floor!! (he has been planting fall stuff for a couple of weeks).

My room is clean, and has been for a month!! DD and baby's room is cleanish...she has pulled some toys out and we cannot find the hardware to put the changing table together, to it is in pieces by the crib. DS's room needs work and the front room has become a disaster...again...but we added a piano to the room and have not found a new home for other furniture. I have about two weeks to get it in order to have DS's 7th birthday party here...3-4 boys spending the night after a family cookout and party.

School is going well. DS has the schedule down and is good about doing his independent work while I clean a little bit, or feed the baby.

Plus, we are really enjoying our new addition! The kids love their baby brother so much and he is starting to respond to them. He is entertained by their craziness!

I start back teaching dance in a week. Then, the house will fall apart I am sure!

Wow, I looked at the calendar and we just finished week 6!! Who knew?!?

So, after 6 weeks....

* We finally started Spanish this week, and DS loves it and is asking for more!

* I just ordered a new LA program (Hake) to start next week, since MCT was JUST not working for us this year.

* Math still isn't clicking. Neither of us really love MM, but it just needs to get the job done for now. I have LOF books (F, D&P, Pre-A) and after we get to a certain point, I may just switch him over. In spite of being lukewarm about it, we've made it to the end of 4A already!!

* DS keeps going deeper into his love of programming! He's pretty much mastered Scratch, though he still likes playing around on it, and now he's working on Visual Basic.

* He has started swimming lessons and an art class. The first is necessary and tolerated, LOL, and the second he absolutely adores!

* My house is still a disaster! :D But I am working on getting in the right mindset for some decluttering and cleaning over the next few weeks.

First week down...

It went well, though I don't know how I'm going to manage when we add in the rest of our subjects and get into full swing in those that had a slow start. Plus I add in tutoring a child twice a week in reading starting on Monday.

I'm worried about teaching DS5 how to write. His grip is weird. I really need to find super short pencils to fix that. He holds his pencil in the correct fingers but keeps his pointer finger completely straight and usually 2 inches above the point. Holding it like that, his hand hurts quickly and he can't make a straight line to save his life. He also starts letters at the bottom and goes counter-clockwise with circles.

My house is decent. We offered to host youth group on Sunday afternoons so I have a reason to keep it up. Tomorrow I'm working on getting my school room cleaned up and organized. It should have been done before we started but that just wasn't going to happen.

So far our year stinks!

I'm having a *really* hard time with the new baby (the 18month old). Just not meshing.

I got pneumonia the end of July and took over a month to get rid of it.

Monkey got very sick 10 days ago and just now getting relief (dr figured out the issue and gave us a fix...yay!). I've held her almost non-stop this entire time.

I'm freaking out about finances after losing a huge chunk of montly money.

We are drowning in clean laundry (6yo got hers put up and 17yo got the men's put up...the rest....).

I have a killer toothache the last two days and really need to make it til Sept 29th.

I have a little Eeyore who *really* makes it hard for me to stay pleasant. He is *so* much smarter than what he will actually DO.

I'm so worried school is never gonna get done the way I want it to (we are doing a little each day).

:grouphug:

My heart goes out to you. Life is so hard sometimes, and when you are a mom, you just have to keep going. And toothaches are a real bummer!!!!

Renee

We just "completed" week 3 of school and:

We're behind one science activity, one social studies activity, and one math lesson that we'll have to do this weekend if I don't want to start next week "behind,"

We took time during our school day yesterday to food shop and clean the downstairs because both desperately needed to be done (I admit I am still neglecting laundry)

My son is much more willing to sit still, pay attention, and do what I ask for 1st grade than he ever was for Kindergarten (and I used a VERY gentle, fun, non-academic Kindergarten)

My daughter is reading more than she did over the summer. She's currently reading Adam of the Road.

We've done several fun projects and activities for social studies. She really likes social studies.

We went on field trips so far to the Reading Public Museum to see the T Rex Exhibit, to Longwood Gardens to see the flowers and the light exhibit, to a homeschool day program at the National Watch & Clock Museum, and to a bird specialty store an hour from home to get my mom a new pet bird (which is why we're behind with a few school activities).

I haven't even begun to think about when/where to fit Meet the Masters Art back into our schedule but need to do so very soon.

I don't want to ever fall too behind and in fact want to take fewer breaks than we have in past years because if this baby sticks (and I so, so, hope it does) it should be born in late April to early May and I want to be done with our school year by then!

ETA: my laundry is now caught up, the unfinished math lesson is done, and the unfinished social studies project (making a model of a Viking longboat) is done. Just a science activity (drawing and labeling a map of different habitats) left to do in order to be caught up! :D

Edited by NanceXToo

Well, I guess I should feel like school has been a disaster again but I have a peace at this point. We have been going 4 wks now and with Dr appointments, tests and then the hospital admitance and surgery for my oldest son we have only gotten 2 - 3 days of school in every wk. This wk my husband did math with the kids 3 days but that was all.

I have hopes of being able to start back up on Tue., I had the first wk of Oct. scheduled off and we will school through it and I had 3 wks scheduled off for Christmas but will probably only take 2 - 2 1/2. It will work. It has to. Not like you can schedule in someone getting sick.

I think all in all my kids are happy with what we are doing. I made a couple of changes over last year but not much.

Things are going pretty good most of the time. We are in the midst of getting ready for my son's wedding and my 30yo washing machine broke last week and we had to get a new one which wasn't in the budget. So, with one thng and another my eyelid started twitching last night. At least I can see the humor in it. School is the easy part right now.

Actually it feels like one of our best school years ever, just because it less intense and we have very few extra curriculars. 3rd and 8th grades are not to labor intensive for me and so far the boys have been motivated. I still get some halfhearted complaining and whining on occasion, but I just ignore it.

January and February will be the trying times.

Sorry to make you all hate me, but 4 weeks in and .....

*my house has never been cleaner!

*I've worked out every morning since school began

*I'm a better mom; I've actually been doing crafts with the kids

*school is going great!

*I'm loving life

I hope this lasts.....:D