Menu

Houston... take 2? Would you try a city you hated twice?

We lived in Tomball five years ago for two years. I hated it. We moved there for a job, DH was forced to resign. It was messy. I was hugely pregnant as he lost his job. We racked up thousands of dollars in debt. It was horribly stressful. I hated the heat, the humidity, the traffic, the stress over money, the drive to get anywhere. The traffic... Houston traffic is unbelievable horrible.

Fast forward five years. We've been living in west Texas... I love it. However, DH's job might be outsourced. Apparently the job market in Houston is booming. DH has been talking with a recruiter that seems to think he can get us a job making more money than I thought would be possible.

So, should I be willing to try Houston again? I've wondered if living in a different area would be night and day different from Tomball? If I hated Tomball will I hate Katy? South Houston? I know I'll hate the weather... but a well paying job makes me wonder if it could be worth it?

Would you try it again? Or cross it off the map as a place you tried and didn't like? My kids were too young for homeschooling when we lived there previously, so getting involved with the homeschool community would also be new for us.

I don't know...

We lived in Austin for 4 years about 15 years ago and I hated every minute of it and jokingly told dh that if we ever moved there again I would divorce him. A few years ago we seriously considered it but ended up staying where we are.

I have family in the Tomball area and they love it but they have been there all of their adult life. I have friends in Katy and they really like it. I live about an hour north of Houston and I can barely stand to drive to Conroe some days ;)

I would make a list and if you pray, pray about the right decision. A job vs. no job would be a huge consideration for me.

We've done something like that and oddly enough I liked the place better the second time around. I already knew the area so I found a better house in a more suitable part of town. That helped some. Plus it was kind of fun to have the adventure of moving without the learning curve of an entirely new city. It was also fun to renew old acquaintances that had dropped during our time away. One even became a good friend. We'd some bad experiences tied to the last time we were there and was pleasantly surprised to find they didn't really affect me as much anymore. Why don't you take a ride down and spend the weekend? Get a feel for the place again. Look around at some neighborhoods. Maybe there will be some things you liked and have forgotten.

ETA: have him interview...then you can go down there with him and stay on the company's dime

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

We've done something like that and oddly enough I liked the place better the second time around. I already knew the area so I found a better house in a more suitable part of town. That helped some. Plus it was kind of fun to have the adventure of moving without the learning curve of an entirely new city. It was also fun to renew old acquaintances that had dropped during our time away. One even became a good friend. We'd some bad experiences tied to the last time we were there and was pleasantly surprised to find they didn't really affect me as much anymore. Why don't you take a ride down and spend the weekend? Get a feel for the place again. Look around at some neighborhoods. Maybe there will be some things you liked and have forgotten.

ETA: have him interview...then you can go down there with him and stay on the company's dime

Yeah... I didn't like our house the first time around. The realtor told us it was by far the cheapest area that you wouldn't get shot in. I later found out we could have built a new house in a better area for at least $20,000 less. We were in a time crunch and friends had told us the realtor was amazing... so for some reason we believed her.

Houston is very different in different areas. I live further south (about 45 minutes from Galveston) and never have to drive in traffic. Everything I need and want is very close. Tomball is a little more rural and spread out. We made the mistake of staying there to go to the Woodlands conference this year and couldn't believe how long it took to get everywhere from there.

The heat is always an issue (especially when pregnant) but there are also major positives. Lots of homeschoolers, outside classes at museums and other places are readily available, etc.

If the job opportunity is good enough I would suggest considering it but visit several areas of the city before making a decision. I would suggest picking a spot that minimizes the commute for your husband (like near metro park & ride if possible) and where everything you need on a daily basis can be accessed without getting on a freeway. Unless you are commuting to a 9-5 job there really isn't a reason to be stuck in traffic very often.

Perhaps.

I think most large cities/metro areas have different flavors depending on what part of town you are in.

I hated Richmond for the first 2+ years that we lived here. Turns out we were just in the wrong "flavor" neighborhood.

We moved to a different area and now I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

The different sections/parts/areas around Houston really are or can be night & day different from each other. Also, from what you describe, it sounds like the particular stresses that you were under when you lived there before contributed a great deal to your feelings about it. I'd give it a try, but do visit different areas (if possible) to get a feel for them before committing to a job.

Some of it may also be season of life.

My parents moved our family to Fairfield County, CT for my junior year of high school. I hated, hated, HATED it because I found it an extremely materialistic area where everyone was all into obnoxiously one-upping the Jones.

Well, we now live in an area that is if anything even more materialistic. However, as an adult, I am not nearly as miserable about it because I have the maturity to just roll my eyes at it instead of feeling self-conscious like I did at 16. That old saying of Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" is something I find significantly easier to live by as an adult.

I can't say that I love where we are living now but it is a LOT more tolerable than how I felt about CT as a teen. I'm sure that if we were to move to Fairfield County now for a job opportunity, I'd find it a lot better the second time around.

We lived in Tomball five years ago for two years. I hated it. We moved there for a job, DH was forced to resign. It was messy. I was hugely pregnant as he lost his job. We racked up thousands of dollars in debt. It was horribly stressful. I hated the heat, the humidity, the traffic, the stress over money, the drive to get anywhere. The traffic... Houston traffic is unbelievable horrible.

Based on this no! The humidity and heat is not going anywhere... it's the south and you are close to the Gulf of Mexico. Houston is the 4th largest city in the nation - you are going to run into traffic during rush hour - no two ways around it.

Fast forward five years. We've been living in west Texas... I love it. However, DH's job might be outsourced. Apparently the job market in Houston is booming. DH has been talking with a recruiter that seems to think he can get us a job making more money than I thought would be possible.

So, should I be willing to try Houston again? I've wondered if living in a different area would be night and day different from Tomball? If I hated Tomball will I hate Katy? South Houston? I know I'll hate the weather... but a well paying job makes me wonder if it could be worth it?

If you live in a bubble in Katy you will like it as far as the traffic - but the heat and humidity are the same. If you need to go outside of Katy - like Houston - you probably won't want to deal with the I-10 traffic. I've lived in Houston for 30 years, I and 6 million other people seem to like it! :D

Would you try it again? Or cross it off the map as a place you tried and didn't like? My kids were too young for homeschooling when we lived there previously, so getting involved with the homeschool community would also be new for us.

:D:D

It really does matter where you live in Houston. We don't live too far from Tomball, but where we are, I rarely have to drive more than 10 minutes to get somewhere. I don't have to get on to many major roads, so that helps. When we lived in Katy, it seemed like everywhere was a 30 minute drive. Now, if you get into Katy proper (the town itself, not just the city limits), I would bet it's a lot like where I live now.

The heat and the humidity aren't any different. I don't mind it, but I've lived here all my life. I will say, though, that pregnant and the heat just makes a bad situation worse. It's possible you were transferring some of your life stresses to the city of Houston itself. Maybe not, though. :)

If it's a choice between Houston and unemployed, I'd take Houston. However, I think you should look at other options first.

What SimplyMe said - if you didn't like the heat & humidity, remember they haven't gone anywhere!

My dh's whole family lives in Houston. Every time we visit, I *hate* not being able to go outside.

Edited to say I love the people of Houston. Just not the heat, humidity, & mosquitoes. :)

Edited by OC Mom

I lived in Houston for nearly 7 years. It took me over 5 to like it enough. What was absolutely necessary for me to like it though, was living close to where DH worked so we didn't have to deal with the traffic issue that much. We lived on the west side, at the toll way and 10. Can't help you with the weather, though. It is an absolutely wonderful day in San Antonio today.

Can't add anything about Houston but can talk about moving to a city twice. If you are in different circumstances now (like the talk about Fairfield, CT), it can really make a big difference. I moved to the same zip code area I lived in as a teen but then as a mom. It was the same zip code but a world away. Back then, I lived in an apartment complex. Now I lived in a beautiful quiet neighborhood of large homes. The community spirit in the new place was fabulous. In the apartments it was nonexistent. I was much, much happier living in that area as an adult though I did hate the traffic even more since 2 million people were added to the metropolitan area while I was away.

Well I'm a West Texas girl, born and raised , and I LOVE Houston! I moved here almost three years ago. We live in Kingwood. We adore this area. I drive 10 minutes to anything. I live two minutes from the grocery store, five minutes from the YMCA and church. Our neighborhood is very quite and in general Kingwood people are very nice. We have very big homeschool community with tons of activities. Dh works downtown and has about a hour commute. I know in West Texas my kids wouldn't have the same level of activities ability to them.

I lived in several areas around Houston and I loved it the entire time I was there. I always made sure the my commute between home and work was easy though. I made sure I was commuting opposite the direction of heavy traffic and it always worked out quite well.

We are moving to the Houston area, close to Tomball ( bordering the Woodlands). The heat and humidity are going to be tough for me, too. But, I can see lots of positives about the area, too. There seem to be tons of groups and activities for homeschoolers there. It is pretty, with all the pine trees. There are lots of shopping and restaurants around. The Woodlands area is so nice, and our proximity to all it's amenities is a happy thing!

I think living in a neighborhood you really like, and having more income might go quite a long way to making it better for you the next time around. But, like other posters have pointed out....not much can be done about the weather :) .

Hope it all works out great for you and your family!

I've been here almost 8 years and I still dislike all the things you listed, but I'm not sure it will ever grow on me. I live near Tomball too. We have to drive for everything, which is something I really get tired of, but definitely the neighborhood makes all the difference. Houston has so many choices for home school families. That I love!

The weather won't change, but if you are looking for a really active homeschooling community with nice, child-friendy neighborhoods, the Kingwood/Atascocita area is nice. There is lots of shopping nearby, and like I said, a super-active homeschooling community.

Although, if it's been 5 years since you've been in Tomball, it's grown a lot. You wouldn't have to drive as far to get to things. My in-laws live in Tomball, and I much prefer where we live though.

The southeast side of Houston - Kemah, Clear Lake, La Porte, Baytown - side is good too. Very HS friendly with several local groups in the area. No reason to go into Houston unless it's for work or for museum/zoo field trips, and you can schedule those around rush hour traffic.

There's also a near constant breeze from the Bay that helps make the heat and humidity more tolerable.

I believe Katy has many hs groups, and things are closer, but traffic around the Fry road area will always be a b*tch to get through. I don't see much of a difference, really, between it and Houston.

I'd much prefer west TX or the hill country. Overall, though, imo, TX sucks.

It's been better with the Katy Tollway and with Grand Parkway being done.

OP, the heat/humidity don't bother me, so take that into account.

I have lived in the Houston Metro area twice now; both times on the West side. This time, I live further into Katy and work in Katy proper. I love the Katy area.

I have worked in Houston, and been a student in Houston. I've lived in Richmond. I didn't like the SW side of town, but my DH lives there now.

My xh lives in the Magnolia/Tomball area; I hate it.

Houston is so *sprawling* but I like the small town feel of Katy. Dot is right, the west side has great hs support.

:iagree: