Menu

Ugh -- smokers for neighbors

Ugh, I wouldn't like that either. I'd move. :lol: I seriously can't stand cigarette smoke that much that I actually probably would move! I hold my breath every time I have to walk by someone who's smoking. And I can smell it a mile away so if anyone is smoking anywhere near me I get very cranky. :glare:

Ugh, I wouldn't like that either. I'd move. :lol: I seriously can't stand cigarette smoke that much that I actually probably would move! I hold my breath every time I have to walk by someone who's smoking. And I can smell it a mile away so if anyone is smoking anywhere near me I get very cranky. :glare:

We hold our breath when entering the library. There are always a few people out front. It really limits where I go. I think they may have stopped it at air shows finally.

PS -- our one neighbor is super nice. I like him a bunch. Just not the smoke.

I know you said this was just a rant:), but why don't you just go over and ask them if there's a compromise you both could make? Is there another side of the house they could smoke on? Another porch? A better time?

The wind here almost always blows in the same direction, and we had a smoker move in next door. She'd smoke on the side of the house, and the smoke would blow right into my kids' windows (no AC) at bedtime. Yup, I played the kid card:). She was happy to smoke at the front of the house in the evening, leaving the side of the house for the late night smoke.

Obviously, not every neighbor is that nice, but unless they are blatantly and consistently cantankerous, it can't hurt to ask:).

Everytime I sit outside to enjoy the beautiful weather, I smell cigarette smoke -- neighbors on both sides.

Yes, this is just a rant.

That stinks. Literally. I would hate to have to deal with cigarette smoke at home. I do have to deal with it at our business:tongue_smilie:.

I know you said this was just a rant:), but why don't you just go over and ask them if there's a compromise you both could make? Is there another side of the house they could smoke on? Another porch? A better time?

The wind here almost always blows in the same direction, and we had a smoker move in next door. She'd smoke on the side of the house, and the smoke would blow right into my kids' windows (no AC) at bedtime. Yup, I played the kid card:). She was happy to smoke at the front of the house in the evening, leaving the side of the house for the late night smoke.

Obviously, not every neighbor is that nice, but unless they are blatantly and consistently cantankerous, it can't hurt to ask:).

I could never do this.

My new neighbor moved in and started smoking on her porch which filtered right into my house and yard. I sent her a nice note telling her how I would appreciate if she didn't smoke outdoors as I am very sensitive to it. I also explained I didn't want my children breathing it when they are outside. Fortunately for me, she hasn't smoked outdoors since.

My new neighbor moved in and started smoking on her porch which filtered right into my house and yard. I sent her a nice note telling her how I would appreciate if she didn't smoke outdoors as I am very sensitive to it. I also explained I didn't want my children breathing it when they are outside. Fortunately for me, she hasn't smoked outdoors since.

Yeah, I have never understood this. If you LOVE smoking SOOOOOO much, why not keep that nastiness in YOUR house or in YOUR car??? :confused:

WHY do you go outside and ruin the fresh air for everyone else and expose us to YOUR carcinogenic nastiness???

These past few days have been absolutely beautiful and I have LOVED driving with my windows down and breathing in that fresh air. Of course, it never fails that I get stuck behind some nasty arse smoker, holding their cigarette OUTSIDE the car! HELLO!! If you, the person killing yourself with it, doesn't want to smell it, then maybe the rest of us don't want to either!! :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, rant over, I just can't stand smokers, or their second hand cancer.

My husband is always amazed that when we are in the car, I can smell smoke. Then, we pass the car that was ahead of us and the driver or passenger is smoking!!! I have a VERY sensitive nose and I have NO patience for smoking. Sorry to all you smokers. But, I just can't stand the smell.

Me too!!! If I'm at a light and the car next to me has someone in it smoking I have to roll up my windows. It drives me INSANE! I wish I wasn't so sensitive to it because it bothers me all. the. time.

I'd speak to the neighbor. Our neighbor once spoke to us about our dog barking outside 'late at night.' We had no idea he went to bed so early and weren't the least bit offended. I'm glad he told us and now we don't let the dog out past his 9 p.m. bedtime. If he'd said nothing, we never would have known and he could have been annoyed several times a week for YEARS.

I'd also consider using a fan that blows the smoke back to them and keeps my air fresh. :D

That's funny - I have a neighbour who smokes and I love the smell :) They're not close enough for me to smell it when he smokes at his place, but he's over here often enough that we have an ashtray outside for him.

I LIKE the smell of a lot of fruity pipe tobaccos and campfires, but I can't stand cigarettes or cigars.

Yeah, I have never understood this. If you LOVE smoking SOOOOOO much, why not keep that nastiness in YOUR house or in YOUR car??? :confused:

My mom's a smoker and she will not smoke in her house or car. She says she doesn't like her stuff smelling like cigarette smoke either. :001_huh: The only benefit is that when she comes to visit she doesn't expect to be allowed to smoke in our house or car.

An industrial fan blowing OUT the window in question could work really well. It would draw fresh air from the rest of your windows, but circulate it through the whole house. We do this at night just to move air, and it is amazing how much air you can move with one fan! It also would cover any noise/talk from the smokers. I don't think it would offend or bother the smokers in the least, unless they are within 10 feet of the window.