Menu

s/o of the GA aquarium thread - Dallas aquarium

We'll be in Dallas for two full days in November (arrive the evening before, 2 full days there, leave lunch time the next day) and are looking at activities to do with ds8. We are contemplating the aquarium and the zoo, and a trip to Dinosaur Valley State Park.

My question is how much time do I need for each? Can I do a half day for one or more of them?

Also, we want to stay somewhere downtown where we can ride the DART or walk to activities and restaurants, so reasonably priced hotel suggestions are appreciated as well.

Which leads to another question - what restaurants should we not miss? We hope to have a complimentary breakfast at the hotel (and/or a fridge in the room so we can have our own food), but we'll probably eat out for lunch and dinner, and I'd like to try to look for coupons/gift certs/whatever to help reduce the cost of food.

First of all, you will have transportation, right? Because Dinosaur Valley State Park is well over an hour away from Dallas. Probably closer to two hours when you add in traffic. It's a GREAT place, but it is far if you are just wanting a day trip.

The aquarium is fantastic and could totally take a half day. It is way awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

And do you mean the Dallas Zoo or the Fort Worth Zoo? The Dallas Zoo is okay, the Fort Worth Zoo is great, but again, it is a bit of a drive away.

Yes, we will have transportation (we're driving to Texas) but I'd like to introduce ds to the concept of public transportation. We live in a rural area with no public transportation to speak of, so it will be a novel thing for him. But he's very concerned about the environment - made us start recycling, wants us to buy an electric car, etc - so I think he'll like it on that level too.

I was thinking of the Dallas zoo. I looked at the website and it seems smaller than some of the other zoos we've been to, but then I thought that might be good so we could do the zoo and the aquarium on the same day, then Dinosaur Valley the next day. But then I was concerned there wouldn't be enough at Dinosaur Valley to take up a full day. :confused: This part of the trip is ds's bday present this year, so I want it to be great.

There is no public transportation to Dinosaur Valley. It is WAY out there. I mean, WAY out there. It is a beautiful place (one of my favorites, actually) if you are wanting to hike and be out doors. The dino prints are pretty awesome, the trails are fun, and the river is GREAT. We love it there and have easily spent an entire day there - but we are hiking and playing in the river when we do that.

I don't know much about the public transportation in Dallas, so I hope someone else chimes in.

The aquarium really and truly is incredible. We LOVED it. Our kids could definitely spend most of a day there. The last time we went, we arrived when it opened, ate lunch there (YUM) and stayed until 3 or so. There is a lot to see!

You are picking great things to do (really!) I just don't know if you've been to the area before and know how large and sprawly it is. The zoo and the aquarium won't be an issue, but Dinosaur Valley really is quite a drive away. If you aren't into hiking and such, it may not be the best use of your time. Where are you driving in from?

There is no public transportation to Dinosaur Valley. It is WAY out there. I mean, WAY out there. It is a beautiful place (one of my favorites, actually) if you are wanting to hike and be out doors. The dino prints are pretty awesome, the trails are fun, and the river is GREAT. We love it there and have easily spent an entire day there - but we are hiking and playing in the river when we do that.

I don't know much about the public transportation in Dallas, so I hope someone else chimes in.

The aquarium really and truly is incredible. We LOVED it. Our kids could definitely spend most of a day there. The last time we went, we arrived when it opened, ate lunch there (YUM) and stayed until 3 or so. There is a lot to see!

You are picking great things to do (really!) I just don't know if you've been to the area before and know how large and sprawly it is. The zoo and the aquarium won't be an issue, but Dinosaur Valley really is quite a drive away. If you aren't into hiking and such, it may not be the best use of your time. Where are you driving in from?

We're driving from Florida, stopping in Alabama to visit family along the way. We're probably crazy for trying it, but, well, we're doing it anyway! :tongue_smilie: And this will be the first time in Dallas for all of us. We're going to a wedding in Denton that weekend, so we will do a few things there as well. I hear there is a fantastic ice cream parlor on the square. :D

Ok, so it sounds like we should do the aquarium first, since that is ds's favorite thing, then the zoo later in the afternoon if we have time. We can use DART that day hopefully. And we'll plan a whole day for Dinosaur Valley to include drive time. Ds will want to do the guided tour, look at the prints, and hike some. I suspect it will be too cold to play in the river since it will be November, but can we take a picnic lunch and maybe eat by the water?

I can't remember how long it took us to visit the Dallas zoo, but it was roughly a half day visit. We enjoyed it.

You didn't mention the Ft. Worth zoo, but we visited that one on the same trip and actually enjoyed it much, much more.

The aquarium we never did get to see--- there were schools there when we went and the super nice lady at the ticket counter took one look at us and said there were over 1100 elementary aged kids in there and were we sure we really wanted to go in? :eek: The screeching noise was deafening coming from behind her, so we thanked her profusely and left (this was how/why we ended up visiting both zoos on that trip!).

So, while I probably haven't been of any help, be sure to check with the aquarium before you go to see how many field trippers will be there (we had already paid to park and walked several blocks, so we wish we had thought of it!!). Also, while both zoos also had schools there, because they are so open we weren't bothered at all. Plus, it's easier to go our own way at a zoo, where are the aquariums we have been to have a certain 'directional flow' where one is limited to where one can go to escape crowds.

I can't help at all WRT restaurants... all the ones we seemed to find were bars. :confused: There was one neat-looking one on a brochure that had 'hunting trophies' all on the walls, etc, but when we got there, the only vehicles in the parking lot were suped-up, jacked-up pickup trucks and the place had no windows. We didn't even bother to go in. I think we found a Ruby Tuesday's or something!

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a good time!

Totally not crazy!! We are getting ready to leave on Thursday to take our kids on a 10 day road trip that will take us from here to Indiana, down to South Carolina, and then back here through Florida :D. I love trips like these!

Definitely hit the aquarium first, if you don't stay long and have more time then I would go to the FW Zoo over the Dallas Zoo. It really is a LOT better. But if you don't have the time, then the Dallas Zoo is good. They also have a science museum there that I've heard is good. The Fort Worth Science & History Museum is AWESOME. We have a membership and go often. It is awesome.

I think you will really enjoy DVSP. It is out in the country, very low key, and peaceful. I really, really love it there. It's is very barren in the fall, but I love it. If you find that you are bored, you can always look into Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. That is COOL and very close to the state park.

Restaurants - Try looking at

Cantina Laredo

Mercado Juarez

Dickey's BBQ is a fairly good bbq place and usually easy to find and quick to eat at. BUT if you want GREAT BBQ, then try Off the Bone BBQ, Railhead BBQ, or Riskys BBQ (my personal favorite).

Hope that helps! And you should PM me when you are in town if you want!

I am not sure if Dallas public transportation will be a good introduction to mass transit. :tongue_smilie: It has some issues, in my opinion.

The Dallas Zoo recently added two new exhibits. I have not been since the latest (koala) exhibit opened, but the other exhibit (giraffe feeding station) was a lovely addition to the zoo. It was in serious decline prior to the new exhibits. Both zoos have a nice aviary.

If you get to the FW zoo, be sure to check out the new reptile house. It is spectacular.

Science museums -- I wouldn't go to the Dallas one right now. They are in the process of moving to a new location. Special sneak-peak for homeschoolers in December, with grand opening planned for January. By November, their old location will more than likely be packed and ready for moving day. (I think their website already says to call before visiting, as they are in 'moving mode.')

The FW science museum was remodeled a few years ago and is wonderful! They have a Titanic exhibit opening mid-October. It does cost extra for that exhibit, though.

If you do get to FW, be sure to check out the Amon Carter art museum. It is a wonderful showcase of American and western art. (And is free!)

You can park in one location and walk between the science museum and art museum, if the weather is nice.

Restaurants:

http://hoffbrausteaks.com/ (Locations in downtown Dallas and by art district in FW)

http://pappasitos.com/home/ (The whole Pappas family of restaurants is good, with many locations.)

http://yoranchsteakhouse.com/ (Only ate there once for lunch, but it was so good!)

You know... Dallas has so many restaurants! But I really can't think of any that really stand out more than the others.

If you are in Dallas, you might want to check out the "Uptown" area. Or around Knox/Henderson.

:D my brother was the architect on that project! I haven't seen it yet.
How cool!

We are a bit of zoo/aquarium snobs and have been to dozens around the US. I can honestly say that the FW herpetarium is one of the neatest animal houses/habitats we have seen.

Please tell him thanks for a job well done! :D

The Aquarium on the State Fair Grounds is pathetic unless it has been revamped in the past 9 years. It was a single room with not much more in it than you could find at Petsmart.

The Dallas World Aquarium, OTOH, is a really cool place. It's kind of expensive, but I think it's worth it.

The Fort Worth Zoo used to be much better than the Dallas Zoo (a long time ago, when I was a kid), but when Dallas updated their zoo to be more like the one in Fort Worth, they made it better. The last time I went to the Fort Worth Zoo was maybe 4 years ago and it wasn't nearly as good as the Dallas Zoo had been about 2 years before that.

http://www.dwazoo.com/ Dallas World Aquarium

http://www.dallaszoo.com/ Dallas Zoo

It looks like they did a huge renovation on the aquarium at Fair Park (on the State Fair grounds). I don't know how much better it is now than it used to be, but it used to be awful.

http://www.fairpark.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=205

The Aquarium on the State Fair Grounds is pathetic unless it has been revamped in the past 9 years. It was a single room with not much more in it than you could find at Petsmart.

The Dallas World Aquarium, OTOH, is a really cool place. It's kind of expensive, but I think it's worth it.

This is what I was going to say...there is a HUGE difference between the Dallas World Aquarium and the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park. The one at Fair Park is really nothing at all and will take all of about 20 minutes to go through (I was there last year).

I love the World Aquarium. It is a bit expensive, but really more like a cool little multi-level zoo. You can get close to it with the DART train, but it will still be a little walk. There is a DART train that stops right at the entrance to the Dallas Zoo though.

Dinosaur Valley is near Glen Rose, which is south of Ft. Worth. Definitely a day trip from Dallas. Very neat place, but not really near Dallas. If you wanted to do the Ft. Worth Zoo, it would be closer, but even then it is a ways away.

How far is it to Ft Worth from downtown Dallas? We are limited on time - only 2 days - so I don't want to try to do too much, kwim? And ds is absolutely set on DVSP, that is a must do. We will definitely plan on going to the fossil center on the same day too.

It's about an hour (maybe 15 minutes less with no traffic), depending on what time of day and what part of Ft. Worth you are going to.

Edited by mandymom