Menu

Question for those who run outdoors in cold weather

Do you prefer to wear a beanie hat or headband/ear protectors or something else on your head?

I prefer a headband/ear protectors for running. I get too hot with a hat. But, walking or strolling I wear a hat. Now, bear in mind, where I live, it is not that cold. We had very mild weather last winter.

Headband. :)

I have run in snow and freezing cold many times- and I don't have a "ton" of gear, just a few must-haves:

tights/compression pants,

long sleeve tech shirt,

fleece vest,

headband

gloves

(of course, handkerchief & lip balm)

When wind is involved, I have a wind jacket layer as well :)

I've always been very comfortable once I get warmed up and moving. :) The only thing that ever got chilly on the realllly cold days, were my upper arms & bum. My bum is ALWAYS cold during winter runs- so I started adding a running skirt on top of tights for extra layers so my bum won't be ice cold for 3 hours afterwards (apparently, I have a good amount of fat in that area- LOL)

But you didn't ask about that, did you? LOL

Good for you for running preparing to run during winters- its awesome!!!

Headband. :)

I have run in snow and freezing cold many times- and I don't have a "ton" of gear, just a few must-haves:

tights/compression pants,

long sleeve tech shirt,

fleece vest,

headband

gloves

(of course, handkerchief & lip balm)

When wind is involved, I have a wind jacket layer as well :)

I've always been very comfortable once I get warmed up and moving. :) The only thing that ever got chilly on the realllly cold days, were my upper arms & bum. My bum is ALWAYS cold during winter runs- so I started adding a running skirt on top of tights for extra layers so my bum won't be ice cold for 3 hours afterwards (apparently, I have a good amount of fat in that area- LOL)

But you didn't ask about that, did you? LOL

Good for you for running preparing to run during winters- its awesome!!!

Actually this list was quite helpful to me! Thank you.

I will wear a fleece headband if it is in the 40s, and I have a wool headband that I wear when it is colder. Hats seem to trap in too much heat for me even when it is really cold.

I also like to wear running gloves or a running top that has the built in fold over hand covers. I have running tights that I wear when it gets into the 40s and wear Smartwool socks (all year round!).

I have cold induced asthma, so when it is really cold I have a Psolar half facemask that I love. It has a removable filter type thing that keeps the air warm and moist. I used to use a bandanna around my mouth, but the Psolar is warmer and fits tighter.

I am going to ask dh for some yaktrax for Christmas, so I will be all set :)

Also, it gets dark early in the winter, so I wear reflective velcro bands if I am going to be on the roads.

Edited by aliall