Menu

Ok, so now, what do you use in Place of cream soups?

We make our own. We might chop up some mushrooms and saute them, then add milk, heat and add a little cornstarch and water, cook over med low until thick, salt pepper and sometimes a bit of garlic for cream of mushroom. For other flavors: Onions or celery, chopped up leftover chicken and chicken broth, etc. instead of mushroooms.

My basic gravy recipe:

2 Tb butter

2 Tb flour

1 C water

1/2 cube of Knorr vegetarian Bouillon

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour, stirring until combined. Turn the temperature up to medium high and slowly add the water, whisking constantly. Just add a little water at a time and stir until it thickens, then add a little more water. After all the water is added, stir in the bouillon cube.

Then I add mushrooms or chicken or whatever.

You can also use milk instead of water.

My basic gravy recipe:

2 Tb butter

2 Tb flour

1 C water

1/2 cube of Knorr vegetarian Bouillon

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour, stirring until combined. Turn the temperature up to medium high and slowly add the water, whisking constantly. Just add a little water at a time and stir until it thickens, then add a little more water. After all the water is added, stir in the bouillon cube.

Then I add mushrooms or chicken or whatever.

You can also use milk instead of water.

This is almost the same as my basic recipe, but I use half broth and half milk. Or all milk if I want it thicker and creamier.

I have to have a gluten free, dairy-free and corn free substitute so usually I just use something different. Leftover mashed potatoes are great for thickening soups and such. Then you can add a little rice milk to get the consistency you need. Sauteed mushrooms, celery or onions are always a great way to boost flavor too.

I like puréed (well cooked) cauliflower as a base for "cream" style soups. The flavor is pretty mild and it has much less of a tendency to get "gummy" than potatoes. I will often use some milk to thin (and usually cook the cauliflower in the milk) but one could use a non-dairy milk alternative or stock with good result.

Personally, I'm not keen on the texture of cooked flour and milk as a thickener.

Bill

I put the potatoes in at the last minute right before serving, but I will try cauliflower next time. It will be a nice variation, and I don't always have leftover mashed potatoes. Hmm. I wonder if I could steam some cauliflower to death and freeze it then have it on hand to add. I'll probably just plan extra cauliflower on days before I make something like that. ..... Planning rules around here.

I put the potatoes in at the last minute right before serving, but I will try cauliflower next time. It will be a nice variation, and I don't always have leftover mashed potatoes. Hmm. I wonder if I could steam some cauliflower to death and freeze it then have it on hand to add. I'll probably just plan extra cauliflower on days before I make something like that. ..... Planning rules around here.

Potato can be very good, one just has to be careful not to over-process it or it gets gummy. With the cauliflower, I would not steam it to death or it tends to pick up the stinky quality that members of the cabbage family can have. Gently simmering the cauliflower in milk (or substitute) seems to minimize any off smells.

Bill

We make our own. We might chop up some mushrooms and saute them, then add milk, heat and add a little cornstarch and water, cook over med low until thick, salt pepper and sometimes a bit of garlic for cream of mushroom. For other flavors: Onions or celery, chopped up leftover chicken and chicken broth, etc. instead of mushroooms.

:iagree: this is exactly what I do.

Thank you. That will be awesome. Now - I just need to find something that needs a creamy base to try it out on next week. My potatoes are never gummy - I'm very carefully with that potato masher, but my dh is banned from making mashed potatoes - blech.

Hand mashed or (best IMO) "riced" in a potato ricer is good practice. A lot of people use machines to purée, and that is where potatoes can go wrong fast.

I do use an immersion blender on the cauliflower. Or I'd use a food processor. It is just not that sensitive to mechanical means.

Garlic slices slowly cooked with the cauliflower and milk (or substitute) makes a nice addition.

Bill

I make my own, starting with a basic white sauce and building off of that. If you find roux particularly challenging you can also make white sauce with cold milk and cornstarch instead of flour, butter, and milk.

Anyway, there are a few organic cream soup options at the supermarkets in my area, unless you're trying to do away with packaging. In that case just make your own! :001_smile:

Since I can't seem to find gluten free cream soups, I make my own - usually just cream of chicken.

1 c. chicken stock

1 c. milk

seasonings of choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, etc.)

2 - 3 T cornstarch mixed in a bit of stock

When the stock/milk mixture is just starting to boil, add the cornstarch stock to the pot and stir til thickened.

You could probably make mushroom by using vegetable broth and diced up mushrooms.

There are a couple of different recipes I use. I use this one most of the time:http://1orangegiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/07/anything-you-wanna-call-it-casserole.html?showComment=1310864846151#c3489139395376988271

And then I use this one when I'm out of the other kind:

http://www.milehimama.com/food/how-to-make-cream-of-chicken-soup/

I do keep a few cans of cream of whatever in my cupboard just in case I need to make something and don't have time to use one of the recipes.

I haven't seen this asked, WHY do you need a sub? That makes a difference in my response. Do you now need one thats gluten and dairy free? Are you looking to just trim the budget or need it for dinner tonight and just need a quick sub because your out.

Well, I don't know why the OP wants a substitute, but I make my own because canned cream of whatever is disgusting! :tongue_smilie:

I like puréed (well cooked) cauliflower as a base for "cream" style soups. The flavor is pretty mild and it has much less of a tendency to get "gummy" than potatoes. I will often use some milk to thin (and usually cook the cauliflower in the milk) but one could use a non-dairy milk alternative or stock with good result.

Personally, I'm not keen on the texture of cooked flour and milk as a thickener.

Bill

That is an interesting idea Bill I will try that.

I generally make a white sauce, but with dairy alternatives.