Menu

Please help me pull curriculum together!

We've gotten off to a late start. My 11 year old wanted to go to public school this year so bad so I enrolled her. She hated it, as I expected she would, so after two weeks I pulled her right back out. So I'm quickly trying to pull together everything for the year.

I'm short on time, money and patience! :tongue_smilie:

I'm trying to find something that I already own for a history spine (ancients) and all I can come up with is Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. I know that this is a high school text but is there any reason I should not use this with a good reader. I even own the teacher's edition. I'd be adding in lots of good literature to go along. I'm not trying to push her into a high school text, but it just does not look too difficult for her.

Next is science. It needs to be easy to use or it will NOT get done.*

I like the idea of using Holt Science and Technology Life Science, (anyone care to review it?) but I am not sure what all I would need to go with it. (I'm using the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments with my 10th grader, not sure she could join us or not for those labs, though the web site says it is for middle and high school)

Can someone help please??

Thanks in advance

I've looked at Holt Life as well, but it scares me to think of how to implement it. Lol.

Horrible Sciences with some TOPS labs?

I've only seen a few samples. I'm really just looking for a text for dd to read with discussion questions, vocabulary and a teachers guide with an answer key. Would Holt fit the bill?

Thanks for your reply,

RhondaM.

Next is science. It needs to be easy to use or it will NOT get done.*

I like the idea of using Holt Science and Technology Life Science, (anyone care to review it?) but I am not sure what all I would need to go with it. (I'm using the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments with my 10th grader, not sure she could join us or not for those labs, though the web site says it is for middle and high school)

I would definitely do the same experiments with both kids. You will already be organizing and running them for your older. It will be EASY to include the younger. Just expect much less on any write ups for your 11yo and less conceptual understanding if the labs are difficult.

If you go this path, then I assume that your 11yo would be studying biology. Personally, I don't use textbooks for early logic stage, and like for my students to go a bit more in depth on fewer topics than study all of biology on a more superficial level. But it really depends on you and your dd. Biology includes:

Ecology

Evolution

Conservation Biology

Cell Biology

Microbiology

Genetics

Zoology

Botany

Human Physiology

My son wanted to study cell biology, microbiology, and evolution, so he read: Cartoon guide to genetics, The stuff of life, and The Way life works. These are non-fiction books that are very challenging for middle school, but they are not textbooks. And to broaden out his studies, he watched all of David Attenborough's docos (there are a LOT) which cover ecology, evolution, conservation biology, zoology, and botany.

Just a few ideas to get you thinking,

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Here is a link to a wtm thread about cpo science if you feel like you need a spine (I need one). They are listed in the thread for free - you have to scroll though to find the non CA ones if that matters.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=253045&highlight=cpo+science+link

In this thread they list possible history lit. titles to go along with the HO book - but you could use it with ANY spine - scroll through as there are lots of good titles.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=398434

Hope this helps too.