Menu

Washer/dryer conundrum

PLEASE help me! I know this is not a life or death decision but it's driving me crazy. About five years ago, we bought Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer set. I used them for three years, then we moved into a rental. I have been using the rental's washer and dryer and storing the Duets (no room for them in the space allotted for laundry). Now we're moving again and I have to decide if I want to use the washer and dryer at the new house (another rental) and sell our set, or use my Whirlpool Duet set.

Here is the issue...

During the third year of using this set, it was driving me crazy. Like many front-loaders, mine *often* had a mildew smell, regardless of what I'd do (leave door open ALWAYS, run bleach or vinegar cycles, etc). Also, the dryer's sensor seemed to be off and it would think things were dry (and stop drying) when they weren't! So both machines had issues that were frustrating/annoying. HOWEVER, they are huge. I have five kids. After using a typical capacity washer and dryer, I miss how much laundry I could do at once with my old set.

The set in the next rental looks about 5 years old. Can't remember brand, but NOT fancy.

I know there is some kind of washing machine cleaner you can get at Home Depot... maybe that would help my front loader. But I also know that those Whirlpool Duets just weren't great in terms of that issue.

WWYD? Try my Duets again? I'm sort of afraid that once we tell the landlord we don't need his machines, we'll be on our own... so, if our Duets turn out to be duds, we might need to go fish and buy more. Not excited about that. BUT... high capacity, people! I have seven people's clothes to wash! I admit it, my panties are in a wad. Please tell me what to do. :confused:

I understand how you feel about the Duets. I hate mine, too.

Luckily, I was warned by the installation technician about the mildew problem. He told me to take a towel after each load and wipe inside the rubber door facing. That's where water, hair, and fibers collect after each load. He also told me to keep the door open and never miss a month using Affresh. So far, I've never had that moldy smell. But, I'm diligent in that cleaning routine. It seems ridiculous that one has to clean something that cleans, but, whatever.

In regards to the dryer, you can turn off the sensor. Just google the directions.

Good luck with your decision. The large capacity is a big plus, but I hate this model, too.

I understand how you feel about the Duets. I hate mine, too.

Luckily, I was warned by the installation technician about the mildew problem. He told me to take a towel after each load and wipe inside the rubber door facing. That's where water, hair, and fibers collect after each load. He also told me to keep the door open and never miss a month using Affresh. So far, I've never had that moldy smell. But, I'm diligent in that cleaning routine. It seems ridiculous that one has to clean something that cleans, but, whatever.

In regards to the dryer, you can turn off the sensor. Just google the directions.

Good luck with your decision. The large capacity is a big plus, but I hate this model, too.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Can you help me understand where to wipe it? The door itself (inside)? Or that rubber seal? On it or under it (you know under it where baby socks get stuck and stink?)? I'll have to google Affresh and how to turn off the sensor. Thanks again.

I had a Duet front loader and never had any trouble with a smell at all. I'm guessing it's because I do laundry almost every day and always leave the door open. Any water left in it never had a chance to sit long. All I ever did was run it through a "clean machine" cycle with bleach every few weeks. But it died of unrelated causes.

As far as the dryer (my Duet dryer is still going strong), if it's like mine there's a time dry setting. All you have to do is set the dial to that and use the up/down buttons to set the time.

I feel very bad that you have to figure it out with a rental. I would say...running the machine with vinegar or Bleach once a week...or wiping it down every few days is a good start. I find the "timed" dry setting may work if the dryer is not drying. Have you cleaned the ducts? It may be that...they may not be getting enough circulation and the air is not drying. Not sure if it is an apt. but they may need to clean up to the roof ...where ever that tube goes. Mine goes right outside so it is pretty easy. I turned my dryer around and stuck my vacuum tube up the area that the tube attaches and vacuumed the junk out where I could. Maybe that will help.

Edited by mchel210

Other recommendations: use powder HE detergent instead of liquid. Be sure to run something on the "hot" setting once a week or so. Use vinegar instead of fabric softener. There is a product called "Pure Washer" that is supposed to help with the occasional cleaning of the machine.

One other tip...don't use more than a tablespoon or two of HE detergent. I use a quick squirt of liquid detergent...I used to use Tide HE, but I really like the Kirkland just as well and it's way cheaper...and I only get a stinky smell rarely. I think it may be tied to when I get a little heavy handed with the detergent. Seriously. The amount of detergent you need is way less than the back of the bottle would have you believe

One other tip...don't use more than a tablespoon or two of HE detergent. I use a quick squirt of liquid detergent...I used to use Tide HE, but I really like the Kirkland just as well and it's way cheaper...and I only get a stinky smell rarely. I think it may be tied to when I get a little heavy handed with the detergent. Seriously. The amount of detergent you need is way less than the back of the bottle would have you believe

My clothes get perfectly clean. I use a spray on stain remover if I notice a problem area.

Laura

I have whirlpool duets that are 5 years old too.......we've never had an issue with smell, but the guy who services our machines says that it typically comes from using too much soap which builds up in the seal. We use 1 T. of Tide HE/load.

I don't use the sensor either...just the timer.

I'd keep the machines and just use them until they break...

My clothes get perfectly clean. I use a spray on stain remover if I notice a problem area.

Laura

I *think* you need more of the liquid since it's not as concentrated. I could be wrong. I should go check and see how much I actually use. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I checked. I do use about a tablespoon.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Can you help me understand where to wipe it? The door itself (inside)? Or that rubber seal? On it or under it (you know under it where baby socks get stuck and stink?)? I'll have to google Affresh and how to turn off the sensor. Thanks again.

I wipe down the entire door, the rubber seal around the edge, and the rubber seal where it makes a crevice to trap socks. And I do this after EVERY load. What a pain in the rear!

HTH

I have front loaders and have never had that smell.

I have whirlpool duets that are 5 years old too.......we've never had an issue with smell, but the guy who services our machines says that it typically comes from using too much soap which builds up in the seal. We use 1 T. of Tide HE/load.

I don't use the sensor either...just the timer.

I'd keep the machines and just use them until they break...

Mine are 12 years old and don't smell. I don't do anything special with them.

My vote is to use them. :)

I *think* you need more of the liquid since it's not as concentrated. I could be wrong. I should go check and see how much I actually use. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I checked. I do use about a tablespoon.

That's about all I use. It was very VERY hard to force myself to not just dump a bunch in.

I use bleach in my towels (all white) and with loads of under things (again all white) so the washer gets bleach at least once a week.

I also run it here and there on hot with a cup or so of bleach. Also the dispenser thing comes all the way out to rinse. I had a friend who didn't know this and she said she had mildew under hers the first time she took it out