Menu

Rosetta Stone Homeschool users--worksheets and grammar

Is anyone's DC having trouble applying what is learned in the interactive portion to the worksheets and quizzes?

My DD is using Rosetta Stone French Levels 1&2, and while she does fine on the computer part, she's not always accurate with the written parts (worksheets, quizzes, tests). The mistakes usually involve articles, or perhaps the way words are combined (I don't know French, but I think the Spanish equivalent would be something like de el: del).

DD says grammar (the way it's tested on the worksheets, etc.) isn't covered in the computer-based instruction.

Anyone else find this to be the case? Solutions?

It also annoys me that in the answer key in several sections, "many possibilities" is listed as the answer (in French, of course). How am I supposed to evaluate writing in a language I don't know using instructions I can only guess at? :glare:

Thanks!

Lisa

Is anyone's DC having trouble applying what is learned in the interactive portion to the worksheets and quizzes?

My DD is using Rosetta Stone French Levels 1&2, and while she does fine on the computer part, she's not always accurate with the written parts (worksheets, quizzes, tests). The mistakes usually involve articles, or perhaps the way words are combined (I don't know French, but I think the Spanish equivalent would be something like de el: del).

DD says grammar (the way it's tested on the worksheets, etc.) isn't covered in the computer-based instruction.

Anyone else find this to be the case? Solutions?

It also annoys me that in the answer key in several sections, "many possibilities" is listed as the answer (in French, of course). How am I supposed to evaluate writing in a language I don't know using instructions I can only guess at? :glare:

Thanks!

Lisa

DD is using Spanish I this year. I don't speak Spanish. I took French in school. When I have questions on her worksheet, I'll type the question, her answer and the answer key answer into Google Translate and see what they all say in English.

We are using the Spanish program. We tried the worksheets, but they didn't align well with the computer program, so they were just frustrating. I am in the process of choosing a written Spanish program to use in addition to Rosetta Stone.

I wanted to mention that we tried the worksheets over a year ago. Now I'm wondering if I'm remembering incorrectly. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has used them long term.

The German worksheets line up really well with the program.

The grammar has been in the program, but it is subtle, rather than explicit. For example, correctly using pronouns happens throughout the dialogues and in the examples, but the kids may not realize they are using pronouns and gender markers in the correct case, because they aren't directly thinking about it. They are just speaking it in response to hearing it over and over, and internalizing it (kind of the way native English speakers often don't have a clue about why something is "me" or "I" until they study it in a grammar class. As the kids will say, "You just know it sounds right."

I have told my kids to go back and listen to several units a second time to try to deliberately spot patterns before attempting the worksheets (they are 8 and 11) and they can see that the grammar is, in fact, there; they just aren't being directly instructed in it. Instead, they are being steeped in it.

We used the Spanish (Latin America) and it was difficult to complete the worksheets given just the computer lesson. I purchased Getting Started with Spanish and it brought it all together.

I just checked and as of yet they don't have a Getting Started with French, so I would try to find some other beginner French text that can help with the grammar issue.

We used the Spanish (Latin America) and it was difficult to complete the worksheets given just the computer lesson. I purchased Getting Started with Spanish and it brought it all together.

Thanks. I will give the worksheets another try. In the past my dd was doing the program by herself on an irregular basis. Now we are using RS and GSWS together on a regular schedule, so maybe the worksheets will go more smoothly.

I will probably also order So You Really Want To Learn Spanish. Hopefully we'll be able to find a good mix with some combo of these resources.

Is there a stronger adjective than subtle? :D It's beyond subtle IMO.

:lol:

I tried the worksheet with Spanish a couple year ago. I did it along side my dc and while I did ok with them, the kids didn't. The information really isn't covered. I understood it because I had a solid French grammar background and it helped me synthesize the information in a way my kids couldn't.

Now both kids have moved on to other languages. We us RS as a supplement to help their conversation skills, but not as a main program and we do NOT use the worksheets which I consider horrible.