Menu

UT Austin - emergency evacuation ordered... praying...

LNC

Good grief. We need to do something about our whackos.

Why would al-Qaeda bomb UT Austin? I'm not slamming UT Austin but we're not talking about a venerable US university like Harvard or Princeton. And al-Qaeda doesn't call ahead and warn you - they want you dead. So this is more likely to be yet another whacko. As a society, "I had to work around a violent whacko and that's why I missed work/class/date/whatever," is becoming a more and more valid excuse. :glare:

North Dakota's state university has also received bomb threats and are evacuating.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/index#.UFNO_K40_Kc

ETA: Honestly the second university makes me much more frightened that this is real.

However, the university does NOT lightly evacuate the entire campus. They've had shootings on campus and not evacuated the whole thing so they have to have had reason to think the threats were credible in the first place.

Edited by vonfirmath

North Dakota's state university has also received bomb threats and are evacuating.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/index#.UFNO_K40_Kc

ETA: Honestly the second university makes me much more frightened that this is real.

However, the university does NOT lightly evacuate the entire campus. They've had shootings on campus and not evacuated the whole thing so they have to have had reason to think the threats were credible in the first place.

Two does make it seem more real. Grrrr...

So is this more Muslim people mad about that stupid movie???

The "and get as far away as possible" part is alarming!

That's because it was a bomb threat and they wanted everyone out of the debri field if necessary.

I think the N. Dakota threat is a copycat threat. Someone who saw the TX threat, and decided to have some sick fun. But I agree w/ pp who said AQ doesn't give advanced warnings.

Fox news is reporting a threat at a third school as well, although to me it sounds a little fishy since it was different than the others (posted through graffiti):

And Valparaiso University, a private Lutheran school in Indiana, also warned students about an unspecified threat made via "graffiti message."

The threat alluded "to dangerous and criminal activity alleged to be carried out during the chapel break period on Friday."