Menu

Boston Trip- Help!

We are trying to swap a timeshare for late March, but there is nothing right in Boston.

We can stay in Newport, RI, Falmouth, MA, or on Cape Cod.

What are my options as far as traveling into the city from each of those locations? It says the drive from Newport is only 80 minutes. How accurate is that? What about trains or ferries from the other locations?

Any advice? Thanks!

We are trying to swap a timeshare for late March, but there is nothing right in Boston.

We can stay in Newport, RI, Falmouth, MA, or on Cape Cod.

What are my options as far as traveling into the city from each of those locations? It says the drive from Newport is only 80 minutes. How accurate is that? What about trains or ferries from the other locations?

Any advice? Thanks!

Falmouth is on the Cape. Driving in and around Boston is nervewracking for me. I use public transport.

Falmouth is indeed on the Cape. Ironically, I think Newport is your best option. The Cape can be a nightmare to get on/off of - there are only two bridges to the Cape (over the canal), and they can back up for miles.

And Newport is a great place to visit in itself. Go see some mansions, stroll the cliff walk. 80 min. to Boston is probably fairly accurate. You will have to think about parking, though - parking in Boston is hard to find and $$$. Although parking might still be less money than the train if you have a lot of people - that's what we found when we went to DC.

In March, the bridge traffic shouldn't be too bad. Where is the other Cape location? There is much to see and do in Newport, and yes, 80 minutes is about right. It's a cruddy drive into Boston no matter how you slice it. Well, the drive is OK, it's the getting into Boston that is a little dicey. Don't try to leave early in the morning, unless you mean 4 or 5 am. ;) At any rate, there is always traffic, no matter the time.

I guess Newport. You can see the same Atlantic Ocean (bundle up and do the Cliff Walk; it's pretty breathtaking), and there are many museums and galleries right in Newport. The mansions, of course, but also the Tennis Hall of Fame, complete with a traditional grass court.

It would be way out at the very tip of the cape in Provincetown.

Wait. Now I am second guessing the weather. We have to use this timeshare exchange by the end of March, but I don't want to be miserable in cold weather. Maybe we should wait and just pay for a shorter trip at the end of April or beginning of May??? We are 11-12 hours from Boston, FYI.

It would be way out at the very tip of the cape in Provincetown.

Wait. Now I am second guessing the weather. We have to use this timeshare exchange by the end of March, but I don't want to be miserable in cold weather. Maybe we should wait and just pay for a shorter trip at the end of April or beginning of May??? We are 11-12 hours from Boston, FYI.

What's your definition of cold? Looking at your location, I'm thinking your definition is probably different than mine. I remember the end of March in Newport as often being balmy and dry, but also often being rainy and windy.

How do you feel about St. Patrick's Day? Newport has (or at least, used to have 10 years ago) a nice parade then.

Weatherwise, I can tell you we wear winter coats in May. I was just looking at a photo of my youngest in his winter coat on May 9 of this year.

There may be some nice days but there can be snow in April. It won't last, but we run heat through June some years.

Keep in mind, the Newport Bridge to the RI side has a toll of $8 each way. It may be less with an EZ Pass. The way to go north toward Boston is to go north up the island to 195. Even the bridge that way will be tolled in a couple of years.

The Amtrak station in Providence has limited parking. The best thing for you to do is to go on an early commuter train in southern MA. There is limited parking for the commuter train also.

If you PM me, I can give you more details about going to Boston and your best option.

Edited by LMA

Hmm. What to do, what to do.

I want to be able to do the Freedom Trail and a Duck tour, so maybe that puts us into May?

My husband is saying we could just wait, forget the timeshare, and start Pricelining hotels now to stay right in the city for a few nights.

Do you have time to do the timeshare and stay in Boston afterwards? There is so much to do in Newport and RI. I would check out RI and then maybe stay in Boston a few days.