Menu

E-readers for us Canadian folk

Jess4879

I am toying with the idea of buying an ereader for family use. I know almost zero about them and I need help!

I want to be able to put some school work on there (like MM!) Is this possible?

I also want to be able to take out library books on it.

I also need to know what the approximate file size is for, say a 300 page book? I pay for internet based on what I use, so this is important.

I think the Kindle and Kobo seem to be the most popular ones. but I have heard the Kindle has a lot of restrictions on it for Canadian users, which would totally annoy me. Oh -- and one important thing for me. I have to travel in order to get access to Wi-fi. We are in a rural location and I have to use a turbo stick for interent, so I would need an ereader that can be hooked up to a computer.

I have a Kobo Touch. You connect it directly to your computer to upload books and to charge the battery. I picked the Kobo and not the Kindle, because the e-pub books that you can get from the library won't work on the Kindle. I get e-books from the library all the time, and it works great.

The file size for a 300 page book is about 500K. I'm reading a book right now with more than 1000 pages and the size is 5M. So, it varies greatly.

I have a Kindle (black and white screen, no colour) and an ipad.

I won't every buy another Kindle.

You can download a Kindle app. Which you can use on any computer, tablet or ipad. On the ipad you can adjust the font size just like on the kindle. The only thing the app doesn't do is allow you to sort your books.

But honestly, the ipad can do so much more that it is worth it, in comparison.

If you buy the Kindle, you have to set up an address. I have two. One for our home and one for the hotel we stayed at in Florida. They never mail you anything. When I want to buy a book from Amazon.com, I switch my address to the American address. When I want something from Amazon.ca, I switch my address to the Canadian one. I learned this from a Snow bird.

Honestly, I'd tell you to keep saving and get the ipad. There was an educational discount lately along with a $50 app card, so check our the website.

Also, check if your local library will let you download a book onto the Kindle. Our library just got this set up September 1st.

Honestly, I'd tell you to keep saving and get the ipad. There was an educational discount lately along with a $50 app card, so check our the website.

Also, check if your local library will let you download a book onto the Kindle. Our library just got this set up September 1st.

Sell me on the iPad? I figured, considering my internet connectivity (turbo stick) that I wouldn't get the use out of an iPad to make it worthwhile. What all do you use yours for?