Menu

Please help me decide what to do for class rank on common app

Jen in NY

Hi Jen,

I used "N/A - homeschooled" for class rank & also for any question that asked me to compare my students to others in their class.

On the Common App Secondary School Report form, this included the sections where I was asked to rate their schedules as most demanding/very demanding/etc/etc & the chart where I was asked to rate them top 1%/top5%/etc/etc in several categories.

So far, all the schools to which she is applying accept the common app, so there are limited choices to answer....

for class rank, my preferred "n/a" isn't an option, so I am going with "none."

I mean, I don't want to make things hard for adcoms to figure out, but I also don't want to misrepresent things. I just hope she'll get on the table so that they can dig deeper into her application.

Any opinions on GPA? (We haven't really done grades for in home courses... I am regretting this, at the moment.)

~J

We put N/A. I don't think it is relevant and could possibly be used against the student. While they are in the top 5%, they are also in the bottom 5%. Our local high school has done away with class rank because we have way too many high performing students taking honors and AP classes. A straight A student with a reasonably rigorous curriculum can end up outside of the top 10% of the class.