Menu

I want to visit the aquarium in Atlanta...

and I thought I'd tack on World of Coke. This is an eleven hour drive from my home.

Is the aquarium an all day activity. How much time is World of Coke. I don't think I will do anything else in Atlanta, but is there a must see? Is there a must see that's right near the Aquarium (I will likely stay right there)?

Then I will drive to Port Royal, SC to see family for three nights. Should I stop in Savanah. What should I do when I will spend at most one day in Savannah. We've never been. Wagon ride? Visit SCAD (dd probably will not be in art for college, but not sure)?

This will be with 15 dd and 11 ds (who has special needs).

I've never spent an entire day in the GA Aquarium, but then that's kind of the way I tour places....get in, get out, get on with my life. It's usually a 3 - 4 hour deal for me. When my kids go with their father, they can spend considerably more time there.

I do love the World of Coke, too. I actually can spend longer there (or at least I did the first time) because I look at every exhibit and read all of the placards and things. It's like a history lesson for me. And the sample room is SO fun! If you go, you must try the Beverly (one of the European brands). It's simply awful, and we all have to taste it every time we go. :D

If you're staying right in town, I'd do the CNN tour as well. Both of my kids found it very interesting.

As for Savannah? I adore it and have spent some great time there with my kids. I love to wander through the cemetery, wander along the river and have lunch and look in the shops, take a carriage ride and learn some history, head out to Tybee Island and take a walk along the beach.....it's pure heaven for me.

It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure we did the aquarium in half a day or less w/o rushing. The World of Coke was at most a couple of hours for us. Make sure you go to the room where you can sample drinks from around the world. And ditto the CNN tour. It's well worth the time.

I'd highly recommend one of the carriage tours in Savannah.

If you're staying right in town, I'd do the CNN tour as well. Both of my kids found it very interesting.

Definitely go to CNN while you are in town. Here's their school tour information that has lesson plans if you want to have "schooly" information to share. If the kids don't ever watch CNN, you may want to see a couple of episodes of CNN Student News (ten minutes each school day) so they see the studio from the TV side first.

You'll also be right at Centennial Olympic Park. It's mostly just a big park but it is a piece of Olympic history if the kids are interested.

We just went to the aquarium 15 days ago on our way to Florida! Loved it! We're from Illinois, North of Chicago, so it isn't easy to visit. We may never go again so we took our time. We were there when it opened at 10; watched several of the feedings and "talks"; saw the dolphin show and their 4-D show; ate lunch and left feeling as we experienced the whole thing by 3:30. We spent A LOT of time watching the Whale Sharks!!! If this was nearer, I could see going several times for shorter periods of time.

We stayed at a hotel on the other side of Olympic Park and walked through the park to get to the aquarium. :-)

I have 3 boys - 14, 12, 7 all who enjoy fish!

Edited by Elisabeth in IL

I agree that the Chattanooga aquarium is better. (I am an aquarium aficionado and try to see all that are in places I visit). Anyway, about four hours is enough for the Georgia aquarium. We saw some shows, visited the whole place not running or anything, and had time to go to another attraction that day- I think we visited the MLK jr visitor's center and the circular diorama about the Battle for Atlanta.

I enjoy the Chattanooga aquarium better as well. That being said I do enjoy the Atlanta aquarium. It has never taken us more then 3 hours to do it, but we do it at least once or twice a year when visiting my parents so I know we will be back. They have a nice play area in the aquarium for kids which is nice for getting the wiggles out as well.

I think you should be able to do the Coke Museum and the Aquarium in one day with little issue, I'd probably do the aquarium in the morning, have lunch then do the Coke museum.

Ds8 LOVES aquariums, and we go to them whenever we visit a new place. That said, we spent a half day at the GA Aquarium and felt like we saw everything except the shows you have to pay extra for. We also spent a fair bit of time watching the whale sharks - they are amazing! I think you could do the aquarium and World of Coke both in one day without too much difficulty, unless you have a dc who you think will become totally enthralled and want to stay all day at one or the other.

Ah, Beverly. So maligned. So misunderstood.

She is, in fact, my favorite. So much so, that when we took a trip to Italy (supposedly Beverly is Italian), I asked every Italian who spoke decent English (because I do not speak decent Italian) where I could buy her. I wanted to bring her home in my suitcase.

Alas, not ONE had heard of Beverly. It was so, so sad.

<sniff sniff>

:crying: