Menu

Postural reflexes and "hitting the wall" in college

ElizaG

I just came across this claim, which seems as if it could pertain to the all too common "hitting the wall" phenomenon:

http://www.annashousellc.com/whatisndd.html

"Whereas there is documented evidence that retained primitive reflexes underlie difficulties in the learning of basic skills such as reading, writing and copying, less attention has been paid to the role of postural reflexes in providing a functional link between postural control, cognitive functioning and academic performance (Goddard, p. 37).

Academic performance seems to be most affected by underdeveloped postural reflexes when the child reaches higher education. Such problems are manifested in these areas: adaptation, problem solving, multi-processing, sequencing, and information overload."

Very interesting. I do fit the profile for this, and I've always had the sense that my difficulties with studying in late high school and early college weren't entirely due to the earlier levels being too easy (though that was likely part of it). And I've often thought, in hindsight, that I was more "together" in lots of ways during the years when we had mandatory PE. Even at the time, I felt strongly that it was beneficial, and would gladly have continued with it through high school if they'd offered a recreational class. But it was all competitive, and I wasn't a natural athlete (understatement of the year!), and the "jockettes" made it pretty clear that my kind wasn't welcome on their territory. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, this theory could be a load of rubbish, but it's something I'll be thinking about.

I actually have the Sally Goddard book (which is now out of print), but can't find it, as it's in a box somewhere. "Information overload" -- check. ;)

Thanks, that is interesting. From the first link:

"Research has also shown a link between very intelligent children who have used that intelligence to bypass, or shorten certain developmental stages, with later detriment to skills related to reading, writing and co-ordination."

I have a feeling this is going on to some extent with my entire family, but especially one child who's probably 2E (very bright in many ways, but has some delays related to a neurological disorder). When she was a baby, one of her physical therapists said that her intelligence was actually an extra challenge, because she was able to find ways of getting what she wanted while avoiding movements that were difficult for her.

OTOH, DS7 mostly seems to use his intelligence to try to bypass doing chores and going to bed. ;)