Menu

Scout parents: are parents often confused about how everything works?

HeidiKC

When ds joined Scouts a couple of years ago, we couldn't seem to figure out how everything in Scouting worked, and are just now feeling like we really get it. I mean things like: getting a blue card ahead of time for merit badge. Come to meeting 30 minutes early to work on rank advancements, where are the merit badge worksheets to download, what is a Class A uniform, what is Court of Honor, do parents attend, etc. Most of which is in the handbook the troop puts together. But we consistently have problems with parents not knowing these things and the Scoutmaster is frustrated. I guess because people aren't looking things up.

I've suggested a webpage. I just wondered how other troops deal with getting information out to parents, and if they constantly have lots of questions that could be answered in the troop handbook (or maybe not).

I'm in charge of updating the handbook, and I'm not really sure what I can do to make it so that parents read these things and don't have all the questions.

Also, what percentage of parents would you say attend the parent meetings?

Please no debate about Scouting, or comments about this is why you don't do Scouts. I'm just looking for helpful suggestions so that we can help with all the cluelessness on the part of the parents.

Thanks so much!

YES!

Our pack doesn't even have a handbook! That's a great idea.

The pack we're in also calls the parent meeting a "board meeting" - so lots of times the only people who show up are the den leaders, the treasurer, etc. I've complained about this forEVERRRR. I'm the treasurer, but DH takes DS to the regular meetings.

I tried to start a newsletter last year, just a monthly write-up of what's going on that month (where to meet, what to bring, what to expect when you get there) and basic things like the address/phone number of the local scout shop, and what each scout needs to wear for Class A, where to see online pics of proper patch placement, when t-shirt and hat is enough, etc. Unfortunately the den leaders wouldn't even take the time to email me the events/issues that they wanted to pass on the their parents.

I don't know of any other suggestions, but I"ll be :bigear: this thread. This is our last year in this pack, but I'd love to help start something that would eliminate the drop-out rate. Half of our new scouts last year didn't even make it to the Christmas party. :(

This past spring, our Troop held a parents day during the Saturday of the first New Scout campout. I didn't go, but my husband attended part of it and thought it was helpful. This was our second year, but yeah, it took us about a year to figure everything out. We wished there had been something like this when we were new scout parents.

My son moved up from Cub scouts to his Scout troop last year. At the first meeting we attended, the Scoutmaster and a bunch of committee members took us into another room, sat us around a table and held a parent meeting, where they explained all that stuff. Our troop is led entirely by the boys, so that frees up the adult volunteers to help new parents.

At that parent meeting, they gave us a few handouts that went over terms and things like merit badges and rank advancements.

Our Scoutmaster also sends out weekly emails before the meeting, with a few reminders and anything we need to know beforehand, like registration deadlines, etc. There's also a website with lots of information, and plenty of adult volunteers who are accessible via email if we have questions.

Since the troop is extremely well organized and has great communication, we've never felt lost or confused.

I am one of the clueless parents. We just started Scouting last year and I still don't get everything. I'm not sure where to find the list of merit badges and how to get a merit badge book. The troop was working on some badges together last year, but ds would like to work on some independently and I'm not sure where to start.

I did read part of my son's book last year, but I haven't had time to read it all. Really, there should be a parent guide!

Our troop does use Scoutlander to send out reminders of upcoming events which is a huge help.

I also don't understand why there are so many adults on our board that do not have a child in Scouts. Really, we have more adults involved than kids! Which sounds good, but most of them did Scouts eons ago and are grumpy with the kids. We really need some younger parents to help out to balance us out and bring some energy to the group. My son says it's boring. Scouts should not be boring. I'm pretty sure it's the presentation and the lack of patience some of the leaders have. They also don't seem to provide much instruction or guidance, they just expect the boys to get it.

Edited by Sherri in MI

I'm a Girl Scout leader and I take it as a matter of course that I have to spell out each and every thing that we do, usually multiple times. I can't even fathom parents looking up something on their own. Forget it! If they read an e-mail I send, that's as good as I can hope for - and I've learned over the course of 4 yrs of leading (now in my 5th) to try to keep my e-mail correspondence about scouts as brief and to the point as possible to maximize the chances of it being read and remembered.

It has been my observation that those who have sons in BSA seem to place a higher priority on boy scouting, but if your experience is common, maybe not. I know that for my troop, scouts is pretty much at the bottom of the pile after homework, family, church, sports, or social lives. With some of my scouts, scouting is above plain ol' "not-being-in-the-mood", but with others, it's not.

I spent my son's first year confused. I eventually started sitting in on committee meetings and asking one lady all of my very stupid questions. :lol: We're on year three and I have the general hang of it, but I still ask things.

I'm also the Tigers leader for this year. They're getting the easy path. My welcome parents letter detailed the basics of scouting for them and I'm requiring each parent to sign up for a month of buddy-leadership. They will rotate through planning den meetings and activities with me so they understand what the boys need and how to do it later if they choose to become scout leaders.

I spent my son's first year confused. I eventually started sitting in on committee meetings and asking one lady all of my very stupid questions. :lol: We're on year three and I have the general hang of it, but I still ask things.

I'm also the Tigers leader for this year. They're getting the easy path. My welcome parents letter detailed the basics of scouting for them and I'm requiring each parent to sign up for a month of buddy-leadership. They will rotate through planning den meetings and activities with me so they understand what the boys need and how to do it later if they choose to become scout leaders.

I'm one of the confused, potentially a pre-scout parent, but do not understand enough to know how even to begin. Nor even enough to try to explain to my son why he might like to try it. (Though I did find a contact for a cubscout group that apparently goes through 5th grade in our area.) I don't know what Tigers are, but would sure love to read a letter that details the basics of scouting. Could you share that?

When ds joined Scouts a couple of years ago, we couldn't seem to figure out how everything in Scouting worked, and are just now feeling like we really get it. I mean things like: getting a blue card ahead of time for merit badge. Come to meeting 30 minutes early to work on rank advancements, where are the merit badge worksheets to download, what is a Class A uniform, what is Court of Honor, do parents attend, etc. Most of which is in the handbook the troop puts together. But we consistently have problems with parents not knowing these things and the Scoutmaster is frustrated. I guess because people aren't looking things up.

I've suggested a webpage. I just wondered how other troops deal with getting information out to parents, and if they constantly have lots of questions that could be answered in the troop handbook (or maybe not).

I'm in charge of updating the handbook, and I'm not really sure what I can do to make it so that parents read these things and don't have all the questions.

Please no debate about Scouting, or comments about this is why you don't do Scouts. I'm just looking for helpful suggestions so that we can help with all the cluelessness on the part of the parents.

Thanks so much!

If you do get a webpage going, I hope you'll post a link to it for confused parents such as myself. I assume that there are similarities from troop to troop such that knowing how one troop does things would also help to understand scouts in general. Or is that wrong?

I also think having a sense of such things would help someone know if it is something he wants to do or not.

As I read "blue card ahead of time for merit badge," I started to think, whoa, this sounds really complicated.

I'm one of the confused, potentially a pre-scout parent, but do not understand enough to know how even to begin. Nor even enough to try to explain to my son why he might like to try it. (Though I did find a contact for a cubscout group that apparently goes through 5th grade in our area.) I don't know what Tigers are, but would sure love to read a letter that details the basics of scouting. Could you share that?

Sure. :) I think the only thing not in there is that Cubs go from 1-5th grade:

Tigers

Wolves

Bears

Webelos 1

Webelos 2

Webelos are a two year program to help turn them over to the responsibilities of Boy Scouts.

Anyhow, my welcome letter:

Dear parents,

Welcome to Cub Scouts! Before I get too far, allow me to introduce myself. I am [name removed], a stay at home mom with two boys – one Boy Scout and the other a future Cub Scout. I volunteer in a few different capacities on base and have probably seen you around.

For some of you, this is the second or third time you’re making the journey through scouting. For others, it’s a brand new adventure. It can be a little confusing at first but trust me, it will all fall into place. The Tiger program is a very gentle introduction into scouting for both your son and you. You will be working side by side with your son on each of his achievements this year and assisting him in everything he does. Each achievement is broken into three parts - one to do as a family, one to do in the Tiger den, and one outing that can be completed with either den or family.

The Cub Scout program requires that all Tigers have a parent present at each meeting and outing. Because of this, I’m asking all parents to take the Youth Protection Training found on the scouting.org website and turn in the certificate of completion for our files. As your child moves up through the ranks, it is a good idea to complete this every other year so that you may continue to volunteer and assist the organization.

You may be asking yourself what your specific duties as a new Tiger parent may be. Aside from helping your own child, you will be asked to help plan & lead a month’s worth of activities. Don’t worry! I’ll be right there with you to assist in any way I can. This is simply a way to get your feet wet and understand the logistics of scouting. Take a read through your son’s book and if there is an activity or badge that you are interested in helping with, let me know.

There is a small list of items that are a good idea to purchase if you don’t have them already:

· Class A uniform (blue button down shirt, neckerchief, slide)

· Class B uniform (Tiger t-shirt)

· Tiger handbook

· Water bottle

· Backpack

· 3 ring binder (any size)

These will be used often. Other items, such as a tent or sleeping bag, are used for family campouts. Throughout the year you will find opportunities to take part in special events like the Pinewood Derby or Raingutter Regatta. These require a purchase of a car or boat kit that will be offered as the event gets closer.

I hope we have a wonderful year! If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at .

Your responses have been very helpful! Thank you. A few responses of my own to yours:

- We have a parent orientation meeting when the kids first join, and they explain most everything. But of course it is a lot of confusing info and jargon, and we don't retain it all

- We also have a lot of adult leaders without boys in Scouts. Most are super-nice, one big old grump. Not sure WHY she continues, but I appreciated it anyway. No way would I do that without a Scout!

- Yes, our troop is boy-led (as I assume all are?)

- We have monthly parent (board???) meetings, but it's the same few parents that attend.

- Shoot, it seems like many of us have the same questions and that it would be helpful if BSA would put together one simple page with helpful links. I'm sure some things do vary from troop to troop, but not things like Class A uniform, where to put patches, what is Order of the Arrow (or maybe that's just our region, not sure).

- Blue card you need before Merit Badge - I asked my son about this and he isn't even sure! I thought it was just needed for badges the boys work on outside the troop. For newbies - most of the badges the boys earn can be done at camp or at campouts or meetings. Or the troop might arrange for someone to teach one on a Saturday, or maybe a leader will decide to teach one and send an e-mail concerning what boys should be working on. But there might be a badge the troop isn't currently offering. For example, my son earned a chess badge recently through his chess coach who is a registered merit badge instructor. He had to get a blue card from the Scoutmaster ahead of time. But DS and I are both confused as to whether or not he needs a blue card for ALL merit badges!

- Merit Badge booklets: you can find these at your Scout store, at the library, or your troop might have a library. Just be aware that the library might not have a current version. This was not a problem for us with the exception of the First Aid book - the requirements for a First Aid Kit were very different from the updated book.

- Merit Badge Worksheets - you can download these from http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Merit_Badge_Worksheets'>http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Merit_Badge_Worksheets and should probably use them for all your merit badges.

- List of current Merit Badges: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Merit_Badge

- Yes, your son can work on badges independently, but must first get a card from the Scoutmaster and find a registered merit badge instructor for that badge. First thing to do is ask is there is an adult leader in troop that's registered for that badge. Also ask if it will be offered later in the year or at camp. Personally I wouldn't have him spend his time on it individually if it is going to be covered at a campout, etc. If there is a badge he wants to earn and no instructor for it in the troop, hopefully they can direct you to someone. Or contact your district people. Surely they keep a list. Otherwise I'd do a little googling! DS wanted to earn a Coin Collecting badge and I didn't realize a leader from a nearby troop was registered for that and ended up offering it to our troop. I was going to have him contact a coin collecting society and check with them.

My son moved up from Cub scouts to his Scout troop last year. At the first meeting we attended, the Scoutmaster and a bunch of committee members took us into another room, sat us around a table and held a parent meeting, where they explained all that stuff. Our troop is led entirely by the boys, so that frees up the adult volunteers to help new parents.

At that parent meeting, they gave us a few handouts that went over terms and things like merit badges and rank advancements.

Our Scoutmaster also sends out weekly emails before the meeting, with a few reminders and anything we need to know beforehand, like registration deadlines, etc. There's also a website with lots of information, and plenty of adult volunteers who are accessible via email if we have questions.

Since the troop is extremely well organized and has great communication, we've never felt lost or confused.

Do parents use the website? Our Scoutmaster says they used to have one and it was a pain to keep updated (I wouldn't think most of those links would change!) and no one ever looked at it - less than 100 hits.

Do you think most of the parents feel the same way you do? Or are you the exception! I can't figure out if our troop has great communication or not. There is a lot of information, but it's almost too much, in paragraph form in the handbook. They try hard and are frustrated that parents don't seem to read the stuff (as the Girl Scout leader mentioned!).

- Blue card you need before Merit Badge - I asked my son about this and he isn't even sure! I thought it was just needed for badges the boys work on outside the troop. For newbies - most of the badges the boys earn can be done at camp or at campouts or meetings. Or the troop might arrange for someone to teach one on a Saturday, or maybe a leader will decide to teach one and send an e-mail concerning what boys should be working on. But there might be a badge the troop isn't currently offering. For example, my son earned a chess badge recently through his chess coach who is a registered merit badge instructor. He had to get a blue card from the Scoutmaster ahead of time. But DS and I are both confused as to whether or not he needs a blue card for ALL merit badges!

Yes, you need the blue card for ALL merit badges. The boys need a way to prove that they did the requirements, especially if they move (like many of us do). Our scoutmaster recommends getting a zippered 3-ring binder for each scout along with baseball card holders. These especially are invaluable. Place a completed blue card in each of the pockets, and designate 3 page holders for eagle required merit badges. There are 21 of them, so it's best to save the room for them.

Much of the rest can be found online, but I would suggest reading through the merit badge worksheets and seeing if they need to be tweaked. Personal Management is especially put together awful. I took that thing apart and rewrote it, going from 5-6 cramped pages to a full booklet with room for all the budget sheets and pros/cons lists.

Ask your scoutmaster about badge requirements, too, for all those of you with Boy Scouts (not Cubs). Ours has to opened to the troop or a special interest of the boy. For example, one kid had a chance to go SCUBA diving and a week's worth of lessons. He was able to complete that badge, whereas it would have been senseless to ask the troop to be involved.

And read the book. I log my son's service hours and campouts in Skedtrack under hobbies, just to make sure there's a record. Even though there's a spot in the book for it, I know the condition of my son's book. :lol: It's better off having an electronic file at home. There is a file online for patches placement but I believe it's in the handbook, too.

We're only in Cub Scouts, and I'm usually a bit confused every year. I didn't know it got worse in Boy Scouts! :tongue_smilie:

At least for Cub Scouts, I can go to the scout store and say, "I need to update the uniform from Wolf to Bear", and the lady gave me the neckerchief and slide that I needed. She also gave me the book for Bears. I read the book and mostly understand (the Arrowhead points were a bit confusing... one point per requirement in a section? Like if you do Weather and there are 6 requirements, do you get a point for each requirement without having to do all 6? note that I don't know if it was 6 requirements in Weather, but I know there were several).

Our pack this year signed us up for an online system that lets us track requirements done, so that should be helpful. Most communication is done via e-mail, then we have the once-a-month pack meeting.

I think our leaders are pretty slack when it comes to requirements. While the book says we're supposed to sign things and the leader is supposed to sign, it doesn't actually work that way. We e-mail our leader to say which requirements are done. No one checks anything. We say we earned a beltloop, and they say ok and get the beltloop for the next pack meeting.

And btw, a man obviously came up with the beltloop idea. A woman would have been smart enough to realize that when the young Cub Scouts are taking their belts off, the belt loops all end up on the floor and are a pain to get back on. :lol: It's also a pain to get them through the beltloops of the jeans in the first place. My 8 year old should not need help getting dressed, but he does because of all those beltloops! :tongue_smilie: Why not display patches on a sash or vest like we did in Girl Scouts? :confused:

The belt loop thing always confused me. Didn't they used to get badges?

They get both. There are activities that earn beltloops, some that earn pins, and then there are the badges. It's flipping frustrating since the handbook only has the basic requirements in it. I think they should issue a parent book that details pin/beltloop requirements, too.

They get both. There are activities that earn beltloops, some that earn pins, and then there are the badges. It's flipping frustrating since the handbook only has the basic requirements in it. I think they should issue a parent book that details pin/beltloop requirements, too.

Yeah, I had to look online to find the available beltloops. They listed some of them in the Tiger book, but didn't list all of them, and they didn't say anything about the requirements for them. That's all online.

Pins and badges are not earned in the early years. I think Bears can earn some badges? Tigers and Wolves just had beltloops, I think.

I also can't keep track of the Tigers/Wolves/Bears/WebelosI/II stuff. I had to ask DS this year... "You're a Bear now, right?" :lol:

I just thought I'd mention that there is a kindergarten level to Cub Scouts.

They're called Lion Cubs and are currently part of a pilot program in the Northern Star Council. The five year pilot began in 2008, and BSA is evaluating things like the retention rate into Tigers. It should be available to all Scout families within the next couple of years, I believe. The Council link to Lion information is here.

My youngest son was a Lion Cub last year and is a Tiger this year. He earned a special Lion badge that he can wear on his Tiger uniform. :D

Well, and I want to say that I think Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are COMPLETELY different. I hear people calling Cub Scouts "Boy Scouts" and am very confused. I don't THINK the Scout dudes even consider Cub Scouts to be Boy Scouts, but I could be wrong.

I know the boys have great fun at Cub Scouts, but I could take it or leave it. It's crazy and wild and I don't pay much attention to badges they earn. Requires a lot of parent participation. Boy Scouts is something that I think is so great that I'll be sure each of my boys does it, and will be strongly encouraged to earn Eagle. I'm hoping DS12 will have his within a year or so. My point is - if you are not a fan of Cub Scouts, don't rule out Boy Scouts!

I just thought I'd mention that there is a kindergarten level to Cub Scouts.

They're called Lion Cubs and are currently part of a pilot program in the Northern Star Council. The five year pilot began in 2008, and BSA is evaluating things like the retention rate into Tigers. It should be available to all Scout families within the next couple of years, I believe. The Council link to Lion information is here.

My youngest son was a Lion Cub last year and is a Tiger this year. He earned a special Lion badge that he can wear on his Tiger uniform. :D

Oh cool! You know, my DS2 was sad that he didn't get to do Cub Scouts yet this year. He's almost 6, and in K this year. Maybe DS3 will get to be a Lion. Though this year, they had a hard time even getting enough Tigers to make a den.

The downside to Lions/Tigers is the parent having to be there constantly. By first grade, my kids are fine being away from mom and behaving. And the Tiger requirement even goes for day camp?!? I was lucky when DS1 was a Tiger - he got to go to day camp without me, because a friend at church was helping with the Tiger group and offered to be the "parent" for him. :D I had a newborn that year, so staying with him just wasn't at all an option. Next year, I'll have to stay for camp, and put my then-4 year old in the "nursery" there.

Well, and I want to say that I think Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are COMPLETELY different.

<snip>

My point is - if you are not a fan of Cub Scouts, don't rule out Boy Scouts!

Good to know! My son has enjoyed Cub Scouts, and we have a good group. The boys are a bit wild (I think they needed a breaking-and-entering badge or beltloop for the last meeting last year, when someone forgot the key to the cafeteria door and 3 boys pulled on the doors until they opened :001_huh:), but mostly they're good. The leaders have been excellent.

Well, and I want to say that I think Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are COMPLETELY different. I hear people calling Cub Scouts "Boy Scouts" and am very confused. I don't THINK the Scout dudes even consider Cub Scouts to be Boy Scouts, but I could be wrong.

Cub Scouts is still under the governance of Boy Scouts of America, along with Boy Scouts, Venturing and Sea Scouts. That's why people refer to Cub Scouts as "Boy Scouts." They're run by the same organization.

A Cub Scout who earns the Arrow of Light award as a Webelo II is permitted to wear it on their Boy Scout uniform. It's the only award that transfers from Cubs to Boy Scouts.

There are a lot of similarities, but many, many differences. I've got one child who is a Tiger and one who is a Second Class Boy Scout. My Second Class Scout started as a Bear Cub Scout, and moved to Boy Scouts after earning his Arrow of Light as a Webelo II.

The biggest difference is that Boy Scout troops are generally designed to be led by the boys, while Cub Scout packs and dens are run by parents. Cub Scouts was developed to provide a source of recruitment for Boy Scouts. Basically, by involving the boys in the organization at a younger age, it makes it easier for new Scouts to enter Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts is a much bigger commitment than Cub Scouts, but many Cub Scouts continue on into Boy Scouts.

Hope that helps clarify the relationship a bit.

Cub Scouts is still under the governance of Boy Scouts of America, along with Boy Scouts, Venturing and Sea Scouts. That's why people refer to Cub Scouts as "Boy Scouts." They're run by the same organization.

A Cub Scout who earns the Arrow of Light award as a Webelo II is permitted to wear it on their Boy Scout uniform. It's the only award that transfers from Cubs to Boy Scouts.

There are a lot of similarities, but many, many differences. I've got one child who is a Tiger and one who is a Second Class Boy Scout. My Second Class Scout started as a Bear Cub Scout, and moved to Boy Scouts after earning his Arrow of Light as a Webelo II.

The biggest difference is that Boy Scout troops are generally designed to be led by the boys, while Cub Scout packs and dens are run by parents. Cub Scouts was developed to provide a source of recruitment for Boy Scouts. Basically, by involving the boys in the organization at a younger age, it makes it easier for new Scouts to enter Boy Scouts. Boy Scouts is a much bigger commitment than Cub Scouts, but many Cub Scouts continue on into Boy Scouts.

Hope that helps clarify the relationship a bit.

Yes, you're right. And Boy Scouts IS a bigger commitment - things are more by the rules, too. BUT, as a parent I have found Boy Scouts to be much easier for ME. I have had 3 boys in Cub Scouts, and my oldest will be in his third year of Boy Scouts now. Boy Scouts is so much less hassle for me than Cub Scouts, just because it is boy-led and parents don't need to attend meetings and campouts. And because the boys are older and more responsible for getting things done at that age.

Of course I do realize people call Cub Scouts "Boy Scouts" because it's under the governance of Boy Scouts. What I meant is that it's really not the same at all. Very different. Cub Scouts are not Boy Scouts. Yes, they are of course similar in many ways, since it is pre-Boy Scout program. But just so people know, you can definitely join Boy Scouts in 5th grade even if you've never done Cub Scouts. I swear Cub Scouts was just set up by the activity fairies - you know, those fairies that seem to pile on parents a bunch of extra activities! I will admit the boys have a lot of fun there, though.

I have been writing my introductory letter for my den this weekend. It is now an intro. packet. It's crazy and I am a tad frustrated already. Why? Because the parents didn't even bother showing up for the Kickoff meeting or the first Pack meeting. The parents dropped off their boys and left. I had two out of eight families stay for the Kickoff.

Of course the 6 parents who didn't stay are going to be confused because they aren't around to hear any of the information. Hence a 5 page info packet being mailed to each home this afternoon. I hope they attempt to read it.

--

I am not saying that the people here are in the drop-off, hands-off category. I am just saying this is my experience so far this year. My guess is that most of you are confused because you are excited about Cubs and want to do the best for your boy so you are looking into things and seeing what is available, and that is overwhelming and confusing. You would make great assistant leaders and Den leaders.

Thanks so much!

There is a little used blurb in one of the BSA guides about Committee members visiting a new Scout's family at their home. The purpose is to inform the family about how the the BSA works in general, how the Troop works in particular and to give the family a chance to meet some of the adults working with their scout.

I think if Troops would actively do this the attendance rate at parent meetings would increase, retention rates would be higher and boys would advance quicker.

The meetings don't have to be long, about 30 mins.

I have been writing my introductory letter for my den this weekend. It is now an intro. packet. It's crazy and I am a tad frustrated already. Why? Because the parents didn't even bother showing up for the Kickoff meeting or the first Pack meeting. The parents dropped off their boys and left. I had two out of eight families stay for the Kickoff.

Really? It is non-optional for our parents to do a drop-off, especially for the younger grades. It is highly stressed in our pack that Cub Scouts is a family event and we have pretty good parent involvement.