Menu

Warning: Probably sensitive.

Yep. In the worst case scenario, absolutely.

We had our home invaded last winter. It was the middle of the night and a man came in, we scared him away when he heard us talking. We thought one of the kids was trying to go to the bathroom. . .

Anyway, when I went out to check on them, and stepped in ice outside of our bedroom door, I was pretty terrified.

I can tell you, had I had a gun and found him trying to hurt one of my children I would have taken him out.

This is not to say I'd want to, or that every situation calls for deadly force. . .but, if I deemed it necessary, I feel I should protect my family.

I also think this is a theoretical question that cannot really be understood until the moment of truth. I say this because I was told a story by a relative of being attacked by a man while she walked down the street with her baby, and she was surprised how much of a mama bear she became. She, who is not at all a violent type, felt no fear and actually flipped him off of her. She was filled with rage as well and was determined to do whatever it took to protect her baby.

My son once, after we had been to the firing range to practice, said something about how I am too nice, I could never shoot anyone. My husband took one look at him and laughed. DH knows that I am a mama bear and has no doubt that there is a switch inside me that once thrown would allow me to do what needs to be done without ever feeling bad about it. I will definitely go out of my way to help anyone. And I will forgive anyone, as I'm instructed to do. But that forgivness might come post mortem, and I'm ok with that.

Yes. I have my CCW, and I will shoot to kill to protect the innocent. I am so glad my parents felt the same. To NOT protect the innocent and weak is in my opinion nearly as bad as the evil out to overtly harm them.

To protect my family? With no other alternative than to "pull the trigger?" Yes, in a heartbeat. No qualms about it.

:iagree:

I wish I didn't live in a state that made CC so difficult! But without a moment's thought, yes I would pull that trigger!

I am one of the sweetest, kindest Christian ladies you'd ever meet in real life.

I would not hesitate, and I would feel no guilt at all.

This might indeed make me sound like even more of a freak than I already am, but I'll say it anyway:

When I look around at some of the horrible atrocities that are committed, I wish that I were in the position to euthanize the wild animals that commit them. :001_huh:

I am one of the sweetest, kindest Christian ladies you'd ever meet in real life.

I would not hesitate, and I would feel no guilt at all.

This might indeed make me sound like even more of a freak than I already am, but I'll say it anyway:

When I look around at some of the horrible atrocities that are committed, I wish that I were in the position to euthanize the wild animals that commit them. :001_huh:

I'm not Christian, or particularly sweet, but I agree. Some acts mean an automatic forfeit of the right to be treated like a human being.

In defense of my family, without a doubt. I'm in Texas and have grown up with the knowledge that guns are there for defense and hunting food, not for looks.

For a stranger, it would probably depend on the situation. While I wouldn't sacrifice myself for the stranger, if I had my CCL I would probably use it.

Wait, why don't you have a right to feel this way? In my opinion, in more than one spot in the Bible, you could defend what you think you'd do :)

The law (government) gives you the right to protect yourself or others being harmed. I see NO spot in scripture that says you must allow yourself or others to be murdered. :(

I dunno, honestly, but people have given me flack for it before. They say it's the feeling/heart behind it. :confused: Like, I should feel bad about killing someone, no matter the circumstances, and try to defend myself/others by committing the least amount of damage possible. And I'm all, "Yeah, I don't think so, that sucker is going down and I'm going to enjoy every blow I get in."

This comes up b/c my husbands family are pacifists. I could NEVER, EVER be a pacifist, EVER.

Of course. There's no way I would let an innocent stranger die, much less my husband or my children, if I could stop the perpetrator.

I could not, however, seek someone out in cold blood for vengeance. I would rely on the judicial system to mete out punishment. If, by some chance, they got off... well, I'd just have to live with that.

would you kill to protect your child? your husband? a stranger?

I would kill in self-defense. I cannot imagine being in that situation, but if I had gun training, and a person were trying to hurt my child -- let's say trying to abduct him, I'd shoot in a heartbeat. The criminal's life will never come before an innocent.

If it were a neighbor's child, same.

I'm home alone with my kids at night fairly often. If someone broke into my house I'd shoot them. Absolutely, no hesitation. I would shoot them until I felt they were no longer a threat to me or mine. If their body was blocking our only means of escape I might be extra trigger-happy. I mean, I'd go out through a window before going around them if I could help it but if there were no other way out...

I would do what needed to be done.

My answer is yes to all three.

If it were the only way I could save the life of a family member, friend, or stranger, then yes.

I agree with the idea that one should try to use the least possible force that can still save the person who is being attacked. If one can knock an attacker out, one should do that rather than taking a knife to them. Of course, in a moment of crisis, one can't always make these decisions.

Laura

Some acts mean an automatic forfeit of the right to be treated like a human being.

:iagree:

I don't really know if anyone can say for sure unless faced in the situation.

I agree, I cannot fathom this situation but I have a very VERY strong momma bear protective instinct so I assume there would be dead people, yes.

Absolutely! If someone threatens my family I would do whatever it takes to keep them safe (I am talking physically threatening, as in breaking into my house, trying to do bodily harm etc)! It would not be my intention to kill, but to injure or put the creep out of commission yes. However, it would totally depend on the situation and if killing were the only option, then so be it. I hope and pray that I am never put in this position, but God help the creep that tries to mess with my family!!!

Edited by Katiebug_1976

Yes, yes, and probably so.

There is no question that I would fly into a protective rage if anyone threatened one of my children, or any family member. There would be no thought of anything but stopping the attacker. I might not be so totally unconcerned about my own safety if it were a stranger being attacked.....I hate to admit that! I would hope that I would do everything in my power to stop a stranger from being harmed, just as I would hope a stranger would step up to protect my loved ones.

My kids -yes. DH or a stranger - no.

It would take a lot to raise my protective defenses to kill someone but I've done some things in the name of protecting my kids that I never would have thought I would ever have done -before I had kids.

DH doen't raise that protective feeling in me like the kids do - and I would really need to be angry before I killed someone:001_huh:

I dunno, honestly, but people have given me flack for it before. They say it's the feeling/heart behind it. :confused: Like, I should feel bad about killing someone, no matter the circumstances, and try to defend myself/others by committing the least amount of damage possible. And I'm all, "Yeah, I don't think so, that sucker is going down and I'm going to enjoy every blow I get in."

This comes up b/c my husbands family are pacifists. I could NEVER, EVER be a pacifist, EVER.

Hmmmm :) Well, I might feel bad about NEEDING to defend myself, and being sorry that the person made bad/evil choices, but I'd feel GOOD that I saved a life... the one that didn't want to die :) I'm a Pacifist, as long as no one is trying to kill me or my kids or an innocent person :)