Menu

Can you combine HOD for 3rd grade and 1st grade?

mommy5

We do year round school. We'll be done with this school year by Christmas and will start again after the new year. I've decided to stick with CLE Math for my 2nd grader but I'm trying to decide on the rest of our curriculum. Right now we are combining language arts for my current K'er and 2nd grader because the older child was struggling with reading ... now reading early readers like Little Bear, Frog and Toad and other Level 2 readers. They also are using ETC as extra work ... the K'er is in book 3 1/2 and the 2nd grader is working through book 4.

I was thinking of continuing to combine them in most subjects (other than math where my 2nd grader is slightly advanced). Has anyone used HOD for these ages (5.5yr old and 8 yr old) or is this too big of an age gap?

I tried, but it didn't work out so well. But if your dc are as close in ability as you said, maybe it could work for them. I'd probably go ahead and get Little Hearts for them; there's suggestions for extra reading in the appendix if you need it. I'd ignore the math box for your 2nd grader and stick with CLE. If you stick with HOD, once you get to Bigger Hearts you can add the extensions for your older child, if he/she seems to need more by then.

Ok ... I just looked at it again and realized there isn't direct phonics/reading instruction ... those are things you have to add in (other curriculum) is that correct?

I guess what I'm really looking for is a language art curriculum we can use once we are done with PAL-R/PAL-W. I love that they are combined right now. It makes things a little easier on me and they really are at about the same level (with my 7 yr old just slightly ahead now ... can blend words much quicker/remember sight words at faster pace, etc.) I like the idea of combining history/science/Bible but there does seem to be a difference in attention span and understanding between my K'er and 2nd grader...

HOD has phonics programs they recommend, but they aren't scheduled in the guide (other than saying to do a lesson, or read the next section from the Emerging Readers set of books). I'm not familiar with the program you are using now, so I don't know where you should go from here. I'd be careful about combining LA; just make sure you aren't holding back your older or pushing the younger. At some point you will likely need to split them up, so be watching for signs that it needs to be done. But if they really can work on the same level for now, then that's great! We like R&S 1st grade phonics and reading; it's very thorough and I've taught 3 of my dc to read with it so far, and my 4th just started it. R&S English and Spelling are good too (those start in 2nd grade).

As for HOD and the content subjects, if there's a big difference in their attention spans, then you'd definitely want to go with the best program for your younger child, and then "beef it up" for your older. That's what HOD recommends. If you want to keep them combined, you'd have to figure out the "beefing up" yourself for a couple of years, but like I said, once they get to Bigger, there are extensions for your older.