Menu

Reading Madeleine L'Engle

I just love her writing style, especially in her memoirs. I'm reading "A Two-Part Invention" which is the memoir of her 40yr marriage and 4th in the Crosswick Journals.

Madeleine L"Engle holds a special place in my heart. I was a non-reader until about the age of 14. I discovered "A Wrinkle in Time" devoured it and fell in love with the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

that all.....

L'Engle has always been one of my favorite authors. Have you read The Small Rain and A Severed Wasp? I discovered those in college- picked them up for $1 each at a used book store- and loved them!

When dd was a baby, L'Engle released a children's book called The Other Dog. It was the *perfect* book for us, since we had two dogs before dd came along, and they clearly felt displaced by the new addition!

Hmmm...This makes me want to go to the basement and dig out my copies of the Crosswicks Journals!

L'Engle has always been one of my favorite authors. Have you read The Small Rain and A Severed Wasp? I discovered those in college- picked them up for $1 each at a used book store- and loved them!

When dd was a baby, L'Engle released a children's book called The Other Dog. It was the *perfect* book for us, since we had two dogs before dd came along, and they clearly felt displaced by the new addition!

Hmmm...This makes me want to go to the basement and dig out my copies of the Crosswicks Journals!

Yes, I've read "The Small Rain" and enjoyed it. It's semi-autobiographical..although she calls it a novel. :001_smile:

I was thinking I would like to look at her children's book about Touche. She writes quite a bit about him in the beginning of "A Two-Part Invention".

Deb, I love her too... actually she was the person who showed me, when I was an anxious teen, that it is possible to be a Christian in the atomic age.

My screen name is from The Other Side of the Sun.

I did not make that connection. It's been a very long time since I've read any of her sci-fi novels except "A Wrinkle in Time".

I adore L'Engle's adult books, and I was so sad when she died a few years ago!

I just love her writing style, especially in her memoirs. I'm reading "A Two-Part Invention" which is the memoir of her 40yr marriage and 4th in the Crosswick Journals.

Loved, loved, loved these books! I looked for them recently in the library, and they weren't there anymore. :(

These were the first L'Engle books I read, back when I was pregnant with ds and a friend of mine was talking me into going to the library and developing a reading habit. :D

I love her artsiness, her literariness, her faithfulness, her humanness. She was a great lady.

We recently listened to an audiobook, read by her, of I think A Wrinkle in Time. It might have been the second one, though, A Wind in the Door? Anyway, it was marvelous hearing her read her own work. Plus there was a fascinating track at the end where she talked about her writing and her influences, etc. Scope it out at your library.

A Wrinkle in Time is the first "real" book I remember reading--I discovered it in our school library in the third grade and devoured it in a day or two. It was a much different experience when I went back and read it as an adult a few years ago, but still wonderful. I've just been wondering when/how to introduce it to my now-third grader. :D

We recently listened to an audiobook, read by her, of I think A Wrinkle in Time. It might have been the second one, though, A Wind in the Door? Anyway, it was marvelous hearing her read her own work. Plus there was a fascinating track at the end where she talked about her writing and her influences, etc. Scope it out at your library.

wow, thanks. I will. :001_smile:

I've heard of her and Wrinkle In Time, but I've never read it (or her).

You've inspired me to pick it up next week on library day.

50,000,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong ... right? :D

:lol:

I listened to the audio version of her Marriage...book a few years ago. She is the narrator. I cried so hard right there on the treadmill at the gym. When her husband dies, her voice is so full of emotion and she has to pause and start again. I love that book and her. What a wonderful woman. I cried again driving down the road when NPR announced her death. My kids and the people at the gym are aware of my emotional disorder. ;)

I listened to the audio version of her Marriage...book a few years ago. She is the narrator. I cried so hard right there on the treadmill at the gym. When her husband dies, her voice is so full of emotion and she has to pause and start again. I love that book and her. What a wonderful woman. I cried again driving down the road when NPR announced her death. My kids and the people at the gym are aware of my emotional disorder. ;)

I cried when she died too. She was like a family friend I never met.

Madeleine L"Engle holds a special place in my heart. I was a non-reader until about the age of 14. I discovered "A Wrinkle in Time" devoured it and fell in love with the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

that all.....

:) I love A Wrinkle in Time!