Menu

Math help for dd8

TCB

Dd 8 has been using Singapore math since 1st grade. During K we did some MEP and a little Singapore but she was frustrated by SM so we put it away and played games and MEP. When I got the 1a book out the next year she did fine, it was almost like she grew into it and got it immediately without difficulty. Last year we did 2A, some MEP, and some of 2B. We started back with 2B this year and she is really kicking up a stink.

She says that she hates math and is dumb, but she gets it very easily. Much of the time she just looks at the problem, thinks for a minute and then has the answer. She only gets the occaisional problem wrong. She can even do the word problems - although prefers to work them out instinctively then thinking through whether to multiply, divide etc.

So, I don't know what to do. Do I persevere with Singapore, do I try something else? I keep looking at MM but I just can't seem to really warm to it. I really love SM, my dd12 has done so well with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Trenna

So why didn't she like iike it? Sound like she can do it just fine so what exactly did she complain about?

I'm not sure - she can't really explain it. Recently she has said that she is dumb - so it seems she feels like she can't do it, even though she actually does it quite quickly.

It sounds like she needs more challenge, perhaps? If it's too easy, some kids will find it dull and repetitive.

I wondered about that, but then she says she's dumb so seems to feel it is too hard. She does get really annoyed when she thinks you are talking to her like a little kid - when you over explain things for her.

I have wondered if she might be a candidate for Beast Academy but I think she needs to get through at least SM 2B before starting that.

It's really making me feel like tearing my hair out and making this year much less enjoyable than previous years. Maybe it's partly just the 4 year blues on my part, this is our 4th year, is that a common occurrence do you think?

Great that she's getting it. We do SM here. Any chance that she's getting it instinctively as you said and is frustrated w/ doing it the way the want her to do it? For example, my younger DS is doing renaming and can get the answer mentally and is frustrated w/ the actual need to rename and do it step by step.

How is it being presented to her? Does it have anything to do w/ too many pages, not enough support, too much support and she just wants it to be handed to her and she can do it on her own?

The "I'm dumb" statements - hearing these anywhere else?

At this level you can do a lot of SM w/o even giving them the book. Do the probs on a white board and don't have it be "SM". You could see if that makes a difference.

Or, move on to something else it you feel that's what you need to do....

Good luck

Maybe she's a perfectionist and doesn't like that she's getting a few wrong? Maybe everything has been easy for her in the past and she's finally hit a topic that she's having a little trouble with? My son does some things really easily and other things are a struggle. He gets so upset because he is not use to working on things. I've been having to teach him to be patient, that it's ok not to get things right away and that's what learning is all about. You might just need to tweak Singapore.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in my response - I work 12 hour shifts and don't get back for a while sometimes but really appreciate the help with this.

I'm going to try the whiteboard suggestion - may help not to have a book. She does prefer doing the exercises in the PB rather than the TB where she writes in a separate notebook.

She only says "I'm dumb" about Math, but does get frustrated, quite easily, with other things too. She does not enjoy writing much, can do it fine, but does not enjoy it. She loves science and likes history.

She does not seem too much of a perfectionist, oldest dd definitely is, but she does have a low threshold for frustration.

It seems maybe I should give it another try using some other methods before moving on to something completely different.

Just thought of another question.

If the child, at age 8, is getting the answer instinctively is it necessary to make them go through the steps anyway? I know that at some point they need to learn how to go through necessary steps as problems get more difficult, but it's hard to enforce when the problems are easy. Is it OK to let them solve it their own way until they get hard to do and then teach them the steps or is this going to cause difficulties in the future?

Just thought of another question.

If the child, at age 8, is getting the answer instinctively is it necessary to make them go through the steps anyway? I know that at some point they need to learn how to go through necessary steps as problems get more difficult, but it's hard to enforce when the problems are easy. Is it OK to let them solve it their own way until they get hard to do and then teach them the steps or is this going to cause difficulties in the future?

I don't .. People might disagree with me but I am big on have the kids develop their own thought process. I love to see them figure a question in their own way, sometimes just when I thought the kid is going on the wrong path, and he surprise me with correct answer. I might say, "your way is fine, and this is how I will do it".

We are on algebra now, the book shows different way solving question, we are still try to get used to it. I am still not convinced that is needed....

I don't .. People might disagree with me but I am big on have the kids develop their own thought process. I love to see them figure a question in their own way, sometimes just when I thought the kid is going on the wrong path, and he surprise me with correct answer. I might say, "your way is fine, and this is how I will do it".

We are on algebra now, the book shows different way solving question, we are still try to get used to it. I am still not convinced that is needed....

That's a good idea to let them do it their way and then show them another. I'll have to try that.