Menu

Unsure about choices

mama25angels

Hi ladies, I haven't been here in a while, we added number 5 to our family in September and things went from hectic to extremely hectic and are just now settling down. I am so stressed right now because it's that season again, trying to decide what to do for the next school year. We've used TOG for the last two years and I do like the program, my HS DD absolutely adores it. I'm thinking of switching because I need something a little less time consuming, the problem with switching is that I don't know what to switch to and if it'll work for her. I'm at a loss for math and writing, i've been considering using Writing aids, but i'm also thinking that IEW maybe better for us/me because it will teach me how to teach them (I hope that made sense). I seriously have no ideas about what to use for math, we're using Lial's basic and Intro. to Algebra, but i'm not sure what to use for Geometry. I'm torn between TT, Chalkdust, Jacob's and Lial's. Also, I starte K with my 5yo in Jan. and he's doing great, we're just using the R&S preschool workbooks and leap frog math and word videos. I know he'll need something more for next year. Any advice you could offer would be great. I will have 11, 10, 7, and K next year, we are schooling year round.

Sounds like you need something with less time involvement and planning for you. Do you have an 11th, 10th & 7th grader (couldn't tell if that was the age or years in school for your children). If you liked TOG, Omnibus looks to me to be much less teacher intensive, but has many similarities to TOG. I used TOG yr 3 and I plan to use Omnibus I next yr. I think you as a teacher could get by with reading the intros in the book and then just asking the discussion ?'s each day. The discussion time is much less than TOG.

We used Chalkdust geometry this yr. I've had to watch most of the DVD's with dd to be sure I could help if needed. Sounds like you might do better with something they're guaranteed to get on their own. Maybe Dr. Callahan's geometry? He uses Jacob's.

Blessings, Michelle

Yes, 11, 10, 7 and K are the grades they will be in, sorry I wasn't clear on that. We're using TOG 3, this year. Does Chalkdust have a solutions manual with all the problems worked out? That's why i'm considering TT because of the solutions manual. Does Omnibus have a US history program? Thanks

If it were me, I would only do a separate math program for the 2 oldest (each on their own level) and do all other subjects combined (unless there is a huge learning differential.)

What are you hoping to cover in history? Modern history or US history? Have you thought about using a spine text with Teaaching Co DVDs? I find them an excellent source for high school history. For that age student, you could even use the college texts that the professors list as their teaching source. I am going to be doing American history with my high schooler next yr and I am going to use Paul Johnson's History of the American People and several different Teaching Co. DVDs. (I bought the high school American history set.....I will have my younger kids watch those as well. I also bought the Civil War series. There might be another one as well, but everything I own is packed in a moving truck, and I can't remember!)

I have taught CD geometry (an older edition) and yes, it does have a solutions manual. I am planning on using it again next yr with 2 of my children.

For writing, have you consider an online option? That would significantly reduce your teaching/grading time. There are numerous options available. I would post that question on the high school board. I know I remember reading positive things about Bravewriter. Several other online ones have been named, but I haven't used them myself, so I can't remember them.

I love Sing, Spell, Read, Write for my little ones. I use only the first grade set and take as long as they need going through it during K and 1. I add in Horizons math and that is all I do for K.

I am not sure what you are looking for using with your 7th grader. I am teaching LL from LOTRs with my 6th and 8th graders this yr. They love it. It would be an easy literary analysis course for you to teach to all 3 of your older ones. I would simply have the high school student write more of the analytical essays and the 7th grader write more basic type assignments. If you don't want to go that route, I heard excellent things about Hewitt's Lightning Literature.

HTH

Congrats on the new addition. I have found CLE Math and Lang Arts to be a lifesaver since I have a toddler at foot. Bob Jones writing is also easy to teach and doable with only the student textbook which can be ordered at ScriptureTruth.com cheaper than buying it from BJ. I've reviewed CLE Math on my blog (see link below) and I'll review CLE Lang Arts tomorrow. HTH!