Menu

Finally Ordered Singapore!!!

thowell

After alot of researching and thinking I finally ordered Singapore 2B. I just got the textbook and workbook (used) so what else do I need. Teacher's manual? HIG? What hands on stuff do we need. Dd9 is using CLE and does well but I know she is missing some of the conceptual side of things. When we did the placement test she knew how to do alot of the problems on paper but was very weak in the mental part. So give me the low down!

I am mathy. The mental math skills taught in SM are steps I naturally do. Still, the HIG has been invaluable for me. It makes the program very open-and-go, adds extra games and teaching steps, etc. I may be able to complete the math capably on my own, but teaching math is different than doing math.

I am mathy. The mental math skills taught in SM are steps I naturally do. Still, the HIG has been invaluable for me. It makes the program very open-and-go, adds extra games and teaching steps, etc. I may be able to complete the math capably on my own, but teaching math is different than doing math.

:iagree:

As far as manipulatives go, I've only used C-rods so far, but we're only halfway through 1A (and I didn't need any for 4A-5A).

I use the HIG. We also use Crods ALOT. I have a big bag of them. Last year when we did Saxon I ordered a saxon Math Manipulative kit and I so far have used the linking cubes and DD enjoys playing with the other peices that are in there. In the back of the HIG [at least in 1A] there are paper manipulative I laminated and use frequently too.

DD uses the Text, WB and IP I use the Extra Practice as review.

I have these c-rods and love them. In hindsight though I probably would have ordered two buckets of them. It is manageable with just one though.

I also have a set of base-10 flats. I use these occasionally.

Also, things like counters and a balance scale are nice extras too but not necessary.

With math you can really go as light as you need and pretty much get everything done with c-rods. Or, if you are like me, and nervous about math, you might want to arm yourself with just about every math manipulative you can find. YOu can see my "arsenal" here.