Menu

Cat people - (warning, contains graphic cuteness)

My husband found this little girl at work today.

Jenny.jpg

She was crying, abandoned, no sight of another cat around. She ran TO him when she saw him.

Although we're supposed to be spending NO extra money this month, I just spent $60 on a vet visit and kitten formula for her. Vet estimates her at 3 weeks.

Ds named her Jenny.

Questions:

How do I encourage her to move her bowels?

How does one litter train such a young cat?

Any advice or suggestions?

TIA!

At that age she should be able to have a bowel movement on her own, but if she seems to be struggling, wipe her little backside with a warm wet cloth every couple hours. I would set her in the litter box when I do that so that. If she's doing fine on her own, just keep putting her in the litter box. Eventually she'll get it.

DH brought home a 3 week old kitten a little over a year ago. I remember I didn't sleep the first night because I was so worried about her. :) I was also very concerned about the lack of bowel movement. It did take a few days, but she finally had one. The litter box was easy peasy. We basically showed it to her and put her in it periodically. It wasn't long before she figured it out.

Our kitty is Ginny. :) She's a feisty thing, but I just adore her. Enjoy your new family member. It is going to be a blast!

Oh. My. Soul.

Look how adorable she is!!!!!! :001_wub:

How do I encourage her to move her bowels? At that age she should be able to on her own. She may not have much food in her system at this point to warrant needing to eliminate though. A warm wash cloth rubbed on her backside after her formula should do the trick.

How does one litter train such a young cat? Confine her to a small room like a bathroom, place the litter box in there with her and she will figure it out. I've done this with all of mine over the years and it has never failed. Actually, since she is considered to be 3 weeks, you could even try putting her in a large box in the bathroom for a week first. This works really well with the tinier babies.

Any advice or suggestions? Don't let her sleep with the kids while she's so little. I can't tell you how many sobbing phone calls I've gotten about this after the fact. :001_huh: Again, keeping her confined in a small room at night is the best idea.

Put a hot water bottle, blanket and stuffed animal in with her at night. Littles get chilly fast because they don't typically sleep alone at that age.

Think about what litter you want her to use now, before she gets hooked on whatever you've chosen temporarily. We really wanted our guys to use something more eco-friendly but every one of them protested. Cats don't do change well, especially when it comes to the litter box.

Ditto on the cat food. I'm sure she's still on KRM right now, but you'll want to look into a good, solid brand for the future. If you're not going to feed raw or homemade, Nature's Variety Grain Free is excellent.

Congrats on the new fur-baby. I won't lie; I'm a little jealous. ;)

Hold it ALL The time.

We got (saved) out latest kitten at that age, too, and let me tell you, this is the BEST cat I've ever had in my *life*.

It loves us. Like, adores. Runs up to us and meows and needs to be held and love every day.

Plays fetch for an hour with littlest Dd.

Will flop over sideways on your feet, shoes, legs..steals stuff and hides it under Dd17's papasan chair. Steals nail files, PUTS toys in Papa's shoes and plays with them, follows you around the house.

It is beyond affectionate, is hysterical ,and I would swear it's because we just *adored* it when it was a wee baby. It is not aloof at all.

Plus, you were meant to be, it ran up to Dh.

How cute!! My sister ended up with a kitten recently almost the same way! Her DH was out in the country and this little kitten kept crying and following him. Her DH called my sister to ask what to do. She told him to bring it home. :D I had hoped they didn't want to keep it because it's just the sweetest thing ever, but no such luck. :glare::lol: I'm so jealous!!

At that age she should be able to have a bowel movement on her own, but if she seems to be struggling, wipe her little backside with a warm wet cloth every couple hours. I would set her in the litter box when I do that so that. If she's doing fine on her own, just keep putting her in the litter box. Eventually she'll get it.

:iagree: So adorable!!!

Warning: Any kittens we've hand raised (6 in the past 11 months) do not do very well on kitten formula. It is a tricky science to get the right mixture - and it's different for every kitten. Even finding the right brand. You do NOT want to know how much money was spent on the two kittens (found abandoned at birth) at the vet last fall between enemas for constipation and trying to stop the diarrhea. We finally got the vet to teach us how to do the enemas at home and they got their formula (different brand and concentration for each kitten :glare:) mixed with flavorless pedialyte instead of water because of the diarrhea.

As for moving the bowels: If she still needs help, those cotton cosmetic pads (circular, or rectangular) in warm water then rubbed on around her anal area does the trick.

Litter training: set her in a litter box and let her dig around. There are really little ones at Walmart for about $1.00 that are small enough for the itty bitties to get in to. We had zero issue getting them to use the litter box. Just set them in there and they instinctively knew what it was for.

In the past 11 months - raised 2 from birth (placenta still attached), and 4 - all found abandoned around the 3ish week old stage. All are healthy and happy now. :)

ETA: She's super adorable! I forgot to mention that!!