Menu

High School Curriculums you used all 4 years

My oldest is only 7th and we are trying some new things this year (and it's only our 3rd year to homeschool so we are new anyway!) We're trying Character Quality Language Arts and TOG.

I love the idea of both of these but I'm finding them difficult to maintain.

CQLA - I have my 7th and 4th graders using it. I like that it covers spelling, grammar, vocab and writing all in one curriculum and I don't have multiple books for each kid to keep up with. However, I don't like the formatting/layout of the pages and I find it difficult to get it checked and then reviewed with each student. I think because it's so many pages each week. Some things you do in those pages, but some things you do in a notebook.

TOG - I'm trying to use it with all 3 kids and that is why I chose it - to keep them all together. My 7th grader can handle the reading but those discussios...well, we're struggling. I'm reading only the teacher notes due to time constraints and I guess he just doesn't know how to synthesize so much info from different sources and be able to intelligently answer questions. My middle sons loves activities but honestly we just haven't done many of them bc I don't feel like I have time. I know everyone says to pick and choose from TOG but I need to feel I'm getting my money's worth so we're doing the mapping, literature w/SAP, timeline and I want to do the vocab but we just aren't there.

I had hoped these 2 curriculums would be great and we could use them all the way through highschool but I'm begining to wonder if this is possible. By then I'll be schooling 4 and I just don't know if I can keep it up.

I lean towards classical (as it's the education I would have loved) but my oldest is science minded and my middle is art minded. So I'm not sure my efforts in being rigorously classical in Lang Arts or history are really going to benefit them. In the end, I want to them to be educated but I want our relationship to be strong and happy. I want them to know/enjoy learning and I want them to have relationship with God.

So with all that being said (and if you actually made it this far, THANK YOU!), what curriculums should I consider? I want to be kind of decided before we get to the high school years? I'm pretty well committed to CQLA this year bc it's expensive, but I only purchased one quarter of TOG, so we could change that now!

Edited by cjgrubbs
typo

As difficult as it is to find curriculum that will work for all children in elementary, I can't imagine trying to do it for High School. In my mind, there would be too many drawbacks to boxing myself in an no real benefit. Have you thought about why you'd want to do it that way as opposed to piecing together credits?

Barb F. - I want to be sure I cover all the things that need to be covered without redundancy from using different curriculums.

I want the planning part to not be so much effort from me having to piece things together to make sure I have oldest covering everything he needs while still educating my 3 younger students.

I have to say we have not really used anything consistently. admittedly i only have 2 kids. The only thing we've stuck with is the upper level singapore math, but right now he's running through LOF as a review, and then we will have to switch math series because the one we were using was discontinued.

I dont use much curriculum anyways . . . i have to be difficult!

Science - 9th grade was read Joy Hakim's story of science, 10th the second half of a bio textbook we started in 8th, plus a dissection lab (paid class), this year is Chemistry Matters from singaporemath.com, and next year probably a computer-based physics.

its all like that for me.

These are the programs I have used and liked for high school.

US History

I used Sonlight Core 100 with my oldest and was very disappointed in it. It wasn't much higher in level than SL Cores 3-4. Oak Meadow high school US History was great for my middle dd. She enjoyed the text and it was open&go for us to use. My youngest is dyslexic. I'm using Hippocampus US History for her because it is free and video-based.

world history

I used SL Core 300 with my oldest and hated it. It was very disjointed and disappointing. I used Oak Meadow high school world history with my middle dd. She thought it was great.

world geography

My middle dd enjoyed Oak Meadow high school world geography.

English

Windows to the World from IEW with Jill Pike's lesson plans was great for my two older girls. My middle dd also used Oak Meadow 10th grade English. After that she took English at the cc and this year she is doing fantasy/sci fi lit. My youngest is using Movies as Literature this year. We just started it yesterday.

math

Kinetic Books is my favorite program for high school math and it is the favorite of my two older girls as well. My oldest used Jacobs for Algebra I and Geometry, Kinetic Books for Algebra II, and Larson's for Precalculus. My middle dd used Jacobs and Kinetic Books for Algebra I (over two years because she was only 12yo when she started), Jacobs for Geometry, Kinetic Books for Algebra II, Lial's for Precalculus, and now Thinkwell for Calculus.

science

My oldest used Miller&Levine for biology (we both hated it). My middle used Holt Biology with the Oak Meadow syllabus and thought it was good. My oldest used Spectrum Chemistry and I was very disappointed with how little it covered. My middle used Tro's Introductory Chemistry and it was a great course. My oldest used a mix of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Giancoli's Physics and it was not a very good year. She did better when she took it at the cc. My middle used Giancoli's Physics and it was a good year for her and she took the AP test at the end of the year. My youngest is using Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. There are still things about the text that I don't like, but I can fix those issues by covering what it skips in the text and only includes in the problem section (without any explanation of how to do it).

When my oldest were in high school (and now with Ds16), I found a textbook approach much more doable than the kinds of curriculum that required everyone work together or which required a lot of discussion on my part. My kids preferred that as well. The only two texts I've used consistently through the years were Notgrass World and American histories. Everything else I changed up to suit the student at the time or because something better came on the market. The thing I and they liked about a textbook approach was that they could plan it themselves, execute it themselves, and check it off each day as they completed each day's work. It helped me because I could focus on my two younger kids.

For science we've used Apologia -- it was ok, but not loved here. I have also used DIVE Integrated Physics and Chemistry which was a little more user friendly due to the labs being on the DVD. Ds16 is going through CLE's Horticulture course now and likes it.

Math has been a nightmare. I've used Videotext Algebra which I found confusing to execute and I'm not sure if my kids really got it; Teaching Textbooks Algebra which my older kids liked but Ds16 thinks is confusing. He is now using Algebra Relief with Leonard Stobaugh and he loves it.

Writing/Grammar has been all over the place. Ds16 is using WWS I right now and I plan to move on to WWS II in January. I love the scope of the material and Ds likes that he can do it, for the most part, without me. It is very user friendly and the skills covered are extremely practical.

I can't tell you what to use, sorry. Mine are almost 11 years apart, so combining has never been an option/issue. ;)

I successfully used Apologia science, Truthquest history and Teaching Textbooks math for high school. He also used Rod & Staff english 9-11, he didn't need any english his senior year. We used mostly lit guides for high school lit, and he took several electives including foreign language and AP art classes at the high school his jr and sr years.

Thank you ladies for commenting. It's helpful to read others' experiences. I'm guessing I need to be more flexible. I just want to know and not have to struggle so much constantly with researching, selecting, them trying to implement and finding it isn't working so starting over. I'm getting frustrated and not having much joy in this journey right now.

I'm guessing I need to be more flexible. I just want to know and not have to struggle so much constantly with researching, selecting, them trying to implement and finding it isn't working so starting over.

I don't think there is any way to know without researching, trying, and reevaluating. Nor do I think it is reasonable to expect one curriculum to a) fit the needs of all students, b) do so in each subject, and c) be of equal quality across all subjects.

I pick for each subject the resource that I find best for the individual student. Having two children with different learning styles and interests, I can already see that they will not use identical curriculum in high school.

Curricula we used and really like:

Art of Problem Solving. Intro to Algebra through Calculus; have to find other resource for multivariable calc

Knight College Physics

Chang General Chemistry

Campbell Concepts and Connections

I make my own curriculum for history and English.

Edited by regentrude

I don't think there is any way to know without researching, trying, and reevaluating. Nor do I think it is reasonable to expect one curriculum to a) fit the needs of all students, b) do so in each subject, and c) be of equal quality across all subjects.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This.

I admit, I'm a curriculum junkie and find researching curriculum to be very enjoyable. However, I also consider it very necessary. Getting to know how your kids learn, what you are capable of teaching, and what curriculum will fit within the boundaries for both of you is very important.

From there, allowing different children to follow their own interest. Finding things that inspire them and allow them to maximize their gifts and talents and shore up their weaknesses are all important too.

Enjoy the journey. The research is a piece of the puzzle.

I have a senior and freshman (along with a 6th and 3rd grader). I agree that you can't and shouldn't box your children in, but that said, that's why we use TOG. I feel that I have something to go by and can tweak along the way.

What we've used and will use in high school:

MUS

TOG

IEW

Apologia Sciences

I have several Progeny Press literature studies that I've bought through the years. If TOG schedules a book that I don't want to do and I have a PP guide for a different book in the same time period, I'll schedule it instead. Tweak as you go. Make it work. But that doesn't mean you can't have a base to start from.

Tiffani

Curriculums my kids have all used, now on students 4 and 5:

Saxon Math through Advanced Math, then college classes

Apologia physical, biology, chemistry, physics

Sonlight 100, 200, 300, 400

Format Writing

IEW High School Essay, Advanced Communication set

Dave Ramsey Financial Peace (high school version)

Outside classes or tutors for languages

(Plus the writing of weekly essays just for practice, not based on a "curriculum")

TOG - I'm trying to use it with all 3 kids and that is why I chose it - to keep them all together. My 7th grader can handle the reading but those discussios...well, we're struggling. I'm reading only the teacher notes due to time constraints and I guess he just doesn't know how to synthesize so much info from different sources and be able to intelligently answer questions. My middle sons loves activities but honestly we just haven't done many of them bc I don't feel like I have time. I know everyone says to pick and choose from TOG but I need to feel I'm getting my money's worth so we're doing the mapping, literature w/SAP, timeline and I want to do the vocab but we just aren't there.

I had hoped these 2 curriculums would be great and we could use them all the way through highschool but I'm begining to wonder if this is possible. By then I'll be schooling 4 and I just don't know if I can keep it up.

If you already own this year's Tapestry plan, can I suggest that you take a deep breath and lower your level of expectations in terms of what you want out of the program and also spend some time learning more about the selecting process to help yourself decide what is truly important to you and your family.

First, I'd watch some of the training videos. My favorite is this one on planning: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/plan/

But there are a bunch more here: http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/llc/training/ Check out the ones that are free first!

For your oldest, you don't say how long you've been using Tapestry or what level he is doing. This is important. It will take some time for him to get up to speed to being able to handle the processing you want him to do with the material and the ability to draw together all his resources to answer questions and make connections, but in the end it is a valuable skill for him to learn.

I lean towards classical (as it's the education I would have loved) but my oldest is science minded and my middle is art minded. So I'm not sure my efforts in being rigorously classical in Lang Arts or history are really going to benefit them. In the end, I want to them to be educated but I want our relationship to be strong and happy. I want them to know/enjoy learning and I want them to have relationship with God.

I don't think it is a bad plan to consider that maybe for a science oriented child that you'll just do text book literature and history. If so the Tapestry would not be for you.

This is very true.

The nice thing about Tapestry is it does draw together the humanities and tries to provide various levels and various ways of learning, but it is at its heart humanity centered and might be way too much for a household that is not that themselves.

Thanks ladies!

TOG is just not working for us. It's just...too much, I think.

I'm wondering if I should look at MFW highschool....

I also have no idea where I'm going with highschool science. ughhhh

Instead of buying another curriculum that you hope will be a better match, what about doing less of TOG?

If you are already covering language arts (grammar, writing) in the other curriculum you mentioned, do you really need to do frequent writing assignments in TOG? Or could you drop the other language arts for your high schooler and only have that child using TOG?

I can understand wanting to get your money's worth. But you wouldn't go to Golden Corral and try to eat a full serving of every dish on offer, just because it's there. Take TOG seriously when it says that it is offering up options to pick from.

There is also a huge difference between a young freshman doing rhetoric and a senior. Be open to the difference in ability and needs.

I just wanted to suggest that you don't give up on TOG for high school. We did not use it UNTIL high school, and I think if we had tried it sooner it wouldn't have worked for us. I will not be using it with my dd (7th grade) until 9th because I just don't think she will be ready until then. However, my math and science loving ds LOVES TOG (although we have had to step back a little this year due to his other classes).

When my oldest was in middle school we did Sonlight (Cores 6 and 7...not sure what they are called now) and we loved it. I could my ds and daughter together, and this worked out well.

As for grammar, we use Rod and Staff. LOVE IT!!! My dd is using Writing with Skill, and this is an excellent program as well.

I'm not at hs level yet, but I have heard of many people going from tog to mfw when they are overwhelmed and have love the simplicity and structure. I agree with the other ladies that maybe you should try a simpler tog schedule, but if that doesn't work - mfw is a really great option. :) I hope you find just what you are looking for!

I understand wanting to prevent gaps or overlap, but I've honestly not found single curricula choices helpful during the high school years. I tracked mine to do dual enrollment/ap credits in 11th/12th so we certainly wouldn't use all four years of anything.

The one exception to this rule is math. We don't flip/flop with that at all. We use Singapore through 5B and then move on to LOF. My oldest now takes college level math at the local uni.

For Science I prefer different curricula for different topics. We used DIVE Biology (with a BJU text), but went with Apologia for Chem. No overlap/gap issues when you are studying topically.

The same would go for things like government, econ., etc. I don't think publisher matters. Choose what looks good to you.

I do wish we had more consistency with Lit/Lang. Arts, but that hasn't worked out to be the case. We used Jensen's Format/Writing and the "Word Within the Word" for vocab. I choose a lit. package that works best with our history each year. We used some Hewitt stuff, Biblioplan, etc. Personally I find Sonlight too light in the high school years and it doesn't mesh with our sequence well. We've also used some IEW products.

In the younger grades we are actually more consistent year to year. Tried and true favorites are BP History, HWOT, Worldly Wise, Megawords, Latin for Children, and the Singapore mentioned above.

Edited by hsbeth

If you already own this year's Tapestry plan, can I suggest that you take a deep breath and lower your level of expectations in terms of what you want out of the program and also spend some time learning more about the selecting process to help yourself decide what is truly important to you and your family.

For your oldest, you don't say how long you've been using Tapestry or what level he is doing. This is important. It will take some time for him to get up to speed to being able to handle the processing you want him to do with the material and the ability to draw together all his resources to answer questions and make connections, but in the end it is a valuable skill for him to learn.

I don't think it is a bad plan to consider that maybe for a science oriented child that you'll just do text book literature and history. If so the Tapestry would not be for you.

I only purchased one quarter and we have finished that one quarter. I did watch all the free training videos and I got one on Dialectic learners when I ordered. For the 7th grader I was having him do the bulk of the reading, timeline, literature SAP and discussion questions. Those questions were just killing us. He was reading but I don't have time to read it all and when he came time to actually answer the questions he wasn't doing a great job and so many of them are thinking questions and he just wasn't synthesizing it or something.... and since I haven't done the reading I don't always have the answers unless they were in the teacher reading (and there were quite a few that weren't!) I don't want to just go to a textbook so for now we are going to do TWTM way of doing history based on 7th grade and then I'll guess I reevaluate later for highschool. As a young 7th grader I'm wondering if Dialectic is just too much for him and TOG is too expensive to use only for the grammar levels, IMO.

I do enjoy the humanities but not enough to make him miserable. His plan as of now is to be a vet but all previous interests have been science/math related like engineering, etc.