Menu

Quick- Need a Texas History (7th/8th grade)

I wanted something open and go and bought SOS Texas history. After 2 weeks of forcing ourselves to use it, I threw it in the trash. It was BAAAAAD!

I need something to order or buy today/this weekend.

I saw a few online programs, but I am not willing to pay $100+ for a Texas History program. It's just not gonna happen. LOL

I saw a few others that are suitable for 4th grade, but I need it for 7th/8th.

HELP!

Thanks!

We got the McDougal Littell book, Celebrating Texas. It's a textbook - we picked it up used on Amazon or EBay for less than $10. It's got neat skillbuilders with each chapter - looking at population density maps, political maps, military maps, identifying bias, evaluating points of view, reading tables, making predictions, etc.

To supplement, we grabbed a few of the Landmark books for a little historical fiction fun. The Landmarks available for Texas history include The Alamo, Sam Houston, The Texas Rangers and the cattle trail (can't remember what that's actually called - we're not native Texans). My daughter chose the Weird Texas book for some fun folktales.

We found recipes for Frito Pie and Dr. Pepper cake on Pinterest.

There are so many field trip possibilities. :)

I'm in a suburb of dallas, but thanks! I can do all kinds of supplement in the area, just really wanting a curriculum that I don't have to put together. I CAN put it together, but I get soooo stressed out doing it!

I'll look for the celebrating Texas book. I see there's a book and a workbook. Do I need both?

EEEK-- maybe not. Cheapest I'm seeing is $53 for "acceptable" condition of just the book... ouch!

Don't know if you're into lapbooks/notebooking or not...but Knowledge Box Central has several things for studying your state's history.

http://www.knowledgeboxcentral.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_38&products_id=694

http://www.knowledgeboxcentral.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=352

I'm in a suburb of dallas, but thanks! I can do all kinds of supplement in the area, just really wanting a curriculum that I don't have to put together. I CAN put it together, but I get soooo stressed out doing it!

I'll look for the celebrating Texas book. I see there's a book and a workbook. Do I need both?

EEEK-- maybe not. Cheapest I'm seeing is $53 for "acceptable" condition of just the book... ouch!

Let me check my library used book store - they had a BUNCH of TX history textbooks and I think that was one of them. If so I can probably get you a copy for about $5 shipped.

Oh, I got a deal when I bought. These are some of the notes I made to myself when I was deciding on books. The first three are spines to consider. The rest are just fun extras if you're into that.

Texas History Spine

A Creative Look at Texas History for Middle School Students by Vowery Dodd Carlile and Traci Burnett ($21.95) A page at the beginning talks about the TEKS, but it doesn’t indicate whether or not it’s comprehensive. This was a much smaller book and not textbook like.

Glencoe Texas and Texans- National Geographic contributions. Texans.glencoe.com ($40.00) Traditional textbook.

Celebrating Texas: Honoring the Past, Building the Future – McDougal Little ($50.00) Traditional textbook.

Field trip books

Exploring Texas with Children

Exploring Fort Worth with Children

Books

Old Yeller 10+ ($9.50 on Amazon for Old Yeller, Sounder and Savage Sam)

Sam Houston: The Tallest Texan by William Johnson (Landmark books)

Sam Houston Standing Firm by Mary Dodson Wade

Up the Trail from Texas by J. Frank Dobie(Landmark books)

The Texas Rangers by Will Henry(Landmark books) (Fieldtrip to Texas Rangers museum in Waco)

Lyndon B. Johnson: Thirty-Sixth President 1963-1969 (Getting to Know the U.S. Presidents) by Mike Venezia (9-12)

Remember the Alamo by Robert Penn Warren(Landmark books) (Fieldtrip to Alamo)

The Gates of the Alamo by Stephen Harrigan ($4.00). Novel. NY Times Bestseller. Booklist called it a heart-stopping, realistic depiction of the battle of the Alamo.

Weird Texas – Just a fun collection of folktales. My kid loves these.

Here's a link to Frito pie :001_smile: http://pinterest.com/pin/283304632779637284/

Dr. Pepper cake http://pinterest.com/pin/283304632780138354/

Look on Amazon.com at the Amazon Marketplace Sellers. The prices for textbooks can vary, tremendously. Last week, I ordered 4 textbooks, for 6th grade Distance Learning, for my DD. 3 of them are new and 1 is used. The History textbook was actually available New, for less money than it was available Used. :) The Science textbook was $27.88, Used. I later saw that the same seller I bought the Science textbook from had the same book, Used, for $27.88 and for $143.00, Used... Read all the listings, once you have 2 or 3 titles in mind. GL

Add: The Texas edition of that History textbook cost 8X more than the National edition.

Edited by Lanny
Texas edition cost 8X more than National edition

ACE has 7th grade Texas History Paces on cbd. I haven't tried them, but they're not super expensive.

I won't be starting Texas History until next year, but I have a few books. The Story of Texas by Weems is in a story format.

A Cartoon History of Texas by Patrick Reynolds is a black and white comic strip style book.

There's also a neat book called Diary of a Texas Kid which will be nice for field trips.

HTH.