Menu

Spiral binding ideas

happycc

My well loved The Well Trained Mind book fell apart.

I had it spiral bound at Fed Ex and my husband was happy that I saved us money rather than buy a new book.

Also I reuse the directions to the workbooks of the WWE since I have more than one child using them in the future. I pull and spiral bound those directions and just buy the student pages for the corresponding WWE level to save us more money.

For level 3, I will spiral bound the stories from one of my children's student pages as well since then I can have a copy to read for the future.

I would go and make copies of the WWE workbook student pages but that puts wear and tear on my printer plus cost of ink. I think buying the student pages is better. Maybe I am wrong.

It also saves so much room on the book shelves!

What else do you spiral bound?

Edited by happycc
saves room on bookshelves comment

Everything I can! Little books like SOTW (since they usually have a tight bind,) math workbooks, and experiment books like "Adventures with Atoms and Molecules" and "Physics Experiments for Children." For some reason, I am so much more productive with a spiral bound book but I hate comb-bound books. I don't do my own binding though.

Everything I can! Little books like SOTW (since they usually have a tight bind,) math workbooks, and experiment books like "Adventures with Atoms and Molecules" and "Physics Experiments for Children." For some reason, I am so much more productive with a spiral bound book but I hate comb-bound books. I don't do my own binding though.

:iagree::iagree:

I do almost any workbook...

I have spiral-bound my Singapore HIG, workbook and textbook (love being able to flip something to just 1 visible page and propping it up on a book display). Spiral bound OPGTR because it was so cumbersome and floppy; worked great!

Tempted to spiral-bind my R&S phonics/reading guide b/c it short and fat like a paperback novel and I would dearly love for it to lay flat and not want to flop back shut on me... But I'm afraid to ruin it.

Also I reuse the directions to the workbooks of the WWE since I have more than one child using them in the future. I pull and spiral bound those directions and just buy the student pages for the corresponding WWE level to save us more money.

For level 3, I will spiral bound the stories from one of my children's student pages as well since then I can have a copy to read for the future.

I would go and make copies of the WWE workbook student pages but that puts wear and tear on my printer plus cost of ink. I think buying the student pages is better. Maybe I am wrong.

I did what matroyshka said in post #5 in this thread. Great way to re-use the book and then buy the pdf downloads for the student pages. :)

For some reason, I am so much more productive with a spiral bound book but I hate comb-bound books.

This! Spiral? Good! Comb? BAD!

Edited by Angie in VA

I took some of my spiral binding to Office Max at Union City,CA...Horrible service-lady with an attitude, took several days to get it done and when done it was wrong. I brought it in to get it fixed and they told me they didn't understand what was wrong and didn't understand what I wanted and then I stayed there for FIVE hours to get it fixed.

So do NOT use the copy service at Office Max in Union City, CA.

Go to Fedex in Union City instead.

I get mine done at FedEx (used to be Kinko's). It can be a bit pricier than OfficeMax, but they always do a good job for me. (One lady saw I had a page number on the front of a book she was spiral binding for me. She made a new copy & covered up the page number. It was so detail-oriented & she kept the original in case I really did need the page "1" at the bottom.)

I have had my SWR manuals spiral bound, our Drawing & Writing through History books done, and this year I've tweaked ES's Logic Stage Biology plans & HO's Ancients Level 2 in the way >I< want them -- complete with check boxes & extra books (thanks CHOLL!). Those plans were sandwiched in some nice colored cardstock & spiral bound (~ $5 each for the binding).

I just got the first unit of the first Mr Q printed and bound. Ilike it but I will have to sort out something cheaper. Think I will have to replace my pro yet and get pdf.ission to use the spiral binder at work. I agree things are easier to use when spiral bound.

I pull and spiral bound those directions and just buy the student pages for the corresponding WWE level to save us more money.

:iagree:

I love to be able to lay my instructions flat and folded over when I'm providing dictation. Also spiral bind teacher portion of SOTW.

pdf and spiral bind those.

I have all these odds and ends worksheets that I will spiral bound sometime when I have more money.

I want my hubbie to proclic (sp?) me this christmas. The product sounds heavenly without the cost of having pay for FEDEX or have to drive somewhere to get it done. Can you adjust the size of the book to spiral bound with proclic or is it a set size?

We also spiral bound my kids The Sentence Family drawings. They were oversized not the usual 8 by 11.