Menu

I've never really expereienced this. Can someone help me out?

A bath or shower using the hottest water you can stand followed by some gentle stretching and deep breathing. Then get in the most comfortable position you can on your bed or couch. Make sure you have proper support for your head and neck. Either breathe and pray, or, if you are able, read something to take your mind off things.

Edited by shanvan

A bath or shower using the hottest water you can stand followed by some gentle stretching and deep breathing. Then get in the most comfortable position you can on your bed or couch. Make sure you have proper support for your head and neck. Either breathe and pray, or, if you are able, read something to take your mind off things.

ETA: I'm sorry Bethany, I just realized you lost your dad. Add in all the crying you need.

I missed that your dad died Bethany. So so sorry. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Breathe. Take some long, deep breaths. Stretch. Bend down and touch your toes. Take a hot shower and cry and scream and let it out. Then, lie down on your bed and rest. Black out your windows or darken your room and just rest. If you need to take some advil, then do that. Advil always makes me sleepy because it's a muscle relaxer.

:grouphug:

Um, no, dad hasn't died. Yet.

Oh! Well, that is good.

I know you are under so much strain. I hope you can take a hot bath and find a way to relax. Sometimes I try this and it helps--

Lie down and get as comfortable as you can. Close your eyes and visualize your toes. Wiggle them a bit. Tell them to relax. Go all the way up your body, talking to each part and relaxing it. Then when you've finished that take some deep cleansing breaths and sink into the bed. And keep sinking. Pretend your body is going through the mattress. :) It really does help.

booze is still my answer...:tongue_smilie:

When I'm extremely tense, stressed, upset, I like things that make me laugh. Seems odd I suppose, but that's how I deal with stuff.

Wendy, you've almost sold me on the booze. Almost.

I honestly have never physically felt stress like this before. It's sort of an 'I'm going to go crazy/explode/lose my mind any minute/my whole body hurts' kind of thing.

I just don't know how to deal with it physically.

I've been at that point in the past, and again recently.

Honestly if you can make the time and muster the energy, some sort of exercise would help. Especially something aerobic - to really let you sweat out those stress hormones (perhaps unscientific but very helpful to me as a mental image) - something like boxing or running, as well as some stretching.

A massage would help if you can get one.

Lots and lots of water. Pain relievers. A glass of wine. A really healthy smoothie for a big injection of vitamins/minerals.

I've just in the last day or two added the natural supplements 5-HTP and Magnesium (for anxiety) and I can physically feel the difference.

Bethany, I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's really tough. Try to give yourself a break and make looking after you a priority. Hot bubble baths are lovely, walks in beautiful countryside, praying or meditating. You need time and space.

booze is still my answer...:tongue_smilie:

When I'm extremely tense, stressed, upset, I like things that make me laugh. Seems odd I suppose, but that's how I deal with stuff.

When I was in my teens a number of my close relatives died. I have very vivid memories of boozy family funerals where everyone told the funniest stories they could remember about the deceased and would then roll round laughing till they cried (we're mainly of Irish descent ;)). I remember thinking "This can't be right", but it felt really, really good.

I've been at that point in the past, and again recently.

Honestly if you can make the time and muster the energy, some sort of exercise would help. Especially something aerobic - to really let you sweat out those stress hormones (perhaps unscientific but very helpful to me as a mental image) - something like boxing or running, as well as some stretching.

A massage would help if you can get one.

Lots and lots of water. Pain relievers. A glass of wine. A really healthy smoothie for a big injection of vitamins/minerals.

I've just in the last day or two added the natural supplements 5-HTP and Magnesium (for anxiety) and I can physically feel the difference.

:iagree:about exercise. I don't recall from previous posts whether or not exercise is something you do regularly but when I feel physically stressed is it the only thing that helps. My dad had a heart attach last May and my grandmother passed away a few weeks later. Exercise was the only thing that helped me stay sane.

If you don't regularly exercise just try something. Exercise releases hormones that make your body feel better. It isn't a permanent solution but it helps.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Bethany.

Here are some relaxation exercises that will help. Last I saw, Candlelight Yoga was on Netflix Instant if you have access to that. This yoga program made me feel like a new person when I was under an extraordinary amount of stress (I am really not a yoga person, but I was at the end of my rope when I started).

Meditation and/or prayer.

Eating as well as you possibly can, given the situation. Lots of fruits and veggies, no junk food. None. Your body is stressed now and needs fuel for the fight.

Take a long walk alone...just cry, pray, vent...get everything out. Then go home and take a long, hot shower or bath with some wonderful smelling body wash. When you get out, put on some nicely scented lotion. Then put on your pajamas, curl up on the couch, & read some "fluff."

And this. But when I was at my lowest with stress, I didn't even want to read. I just put on the television, the funniest stuff I could find.

I lost my dad less than 3 years ago, and it was agonizing waiting for it to actually happen. He was under 60, and we were very close.

The best advice I have for you is to accept that this is really, really hard. I know it sounds stupid, but just keep telling yourself that. This is hard, I should feel awful. I did as little as I possibly could. I cancelled school, I didn't go anywhere or do anything that didn't absolutely have to be done. We basically ate Cocoa Krispies for weeks for every meal, and watched a lot of TV. I just could not function beyond processing what was going on and taking care of our basic needs. It felt like a victory every morning to get out of bed. I could not exercise, I could not take a bath, I could barely breathe.

I don't know if that helps any, but I am so very very sorry that you are going through this. :grouphug:

hot shower and bawl your eyes out.

Keeping yourself together is probably the source of the pain. With me, it starts in my stomach and radiates to all other body parts.

Also some yoga and DEEP breathing exercises throughout the day and giving yourself permission to step away from situations as they arise, cry, and then come back and deal with it.

I second the hot bath with epsom salt. I have epsom salt with lavender which smells wonderful. Then I'd make myself some hot chocolate and Schnapps (just a little!), and try and watch an old TV comedy like Dick Van Dyke or I Love Lucy.

Then I'd meditate over verses in the Bible that are especially meaningful to me.

I'm really sorry for what you're going through. I know it's hard to concentrate on anything during times like this. God bless you.

Take a long walk alone...just cry, pray, vent...get everything out. Then go home and take a long, hot shower or bath with some wonderful smelling body wash. When you get out, put on some nicely scented lotion. Then put on your pajamas, curl up on the couch, & read some "fluff."

:iagree: If you don't feel like reading I would find a movie to watch ... that would take my mind off things. I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

xanex. Seriously, I went through a horribly stressful time where all of my body hurt and I couldnt take full deep breaths, ever. It was so horrible. A xanex relaxed me enough to where I felt normal, but not high.

I completely agree.

I didn't feel any "different" when I took xanax. If just helped relieve the physical symptoms (the complete muscle fatigue) and allowed me to sleep.